San Jose, CA Local Head-Fi Meet - January 30th at Alum Rock Library Event Room
Dec 5, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #16 of 237
I think I can make it: I've got a rotating inventory right now, trying to find a good dac/amp/HP combo that is robust in SQ yet has nuance/finesse.

Pertinent stock at present:
HPs: HiFiMan HE560, LCD3, AKG K7XX
DACs/amps: only one worth mentioning is the ALO CDM.
And I guess the HiFiMan 901 DAP with modular amp cards (Balanced, Minibox, Classic). 

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #17 of 237
@manywelps Your list of gear sounds stellar! I can't wait to try your SR-009's on my SRM-1 setup. And we should compare your AudioGD NFB-15 to my Liquid Carbon.

@fotomeow yup, the CDM portable tube amp/DAC from Alo Audio sure is worth mentioning! I was one of the most outspoken proponents of that fine %$& piece of metal up until I spent an hour unsuccessfully try to install the drivers to make it work with my HP laptop at the south SF meet-up. Maybe you can make me a believer again and help me to get it working with my source? Thanks

Also for anybody else - Manywelps & I would really like to be able to compare versions of the Bifrost. So if anybody has the newest Bifrost Uber or especially Bifrost Multibit / Multifrost, we would love to see it there!

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #18 of 237
So, it looks like I have a family event this same weekend that I'll need to get out of in order to attend the meet.  I'm down to 75% likely now.  :frowning2:

If I do attend, I would try to bring some or all of the following:

1. Zana Deux Super - A modern/neutral sounding tube headphone amp, not an overly warm vintage sound.
2. AGD NFB-1AMP - Reminds me of the Cavalli LC I heard at the last meet, but maybe lacking the same punch(?).  Smooth.  It would be interesting to me to do a side-by-side compare.
3. Mystique V2.0 DAC by Mojo Audio - Little known and yet one of the most neutral, transparent NOS R-2R DACs you'll hear.  This DAC imparts all the subtleties of the harmonic overtones that flesh out the organic character of the instruments and room acoustics with no HF rolloff.  First rate BOM, and based on the AD 1865 (as in the Audio Note DACs).
(4.) Mulling over an Ether-C purchase...  TBD

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #19 of 237
  @manywelps Your list of gear sounds stellar! I can't wait to try your SR-009's on my SRM-1 setup. And we should compare your AudioGD NFB-15 to my Liquid Carbon.

@fotomeow yup, the CDM portable tube amp/DAC from Alo Audio sure is worth mentioning! I was one of the most outspoken proponents of that fine %$& piece of metal up until I spent an hour unsuccessfully try to install the drivers to make it work with my HP laptop at the south SF meet-up. Maybe you can make me a believer again and help me to get it working with my source? Thanks

Also for anybody else - Manywelps & I would really like to be able to compare versions of the Bifrost. So if anybody has the newest Bifrost Uber or especially Bifrost Multibit / Multifrost, we would love to see it there!

I wanted to A/B the Uber against the Multifrost, but I got there too late last time.

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #20 of 237
In the event I do have 30 January 2016 available, I'll have to see whether I can get me an Asus® XONAR® Essence™ One or subsequent to duplicate the headphone-amp circuitry in my STX for purposes of auditioning headsets via whatever computer rigs will be at the meet.  The CM1630's not the easiest rig to package for the road, especially with (for the interim) a Hewlett-Packard® HP2009m display unit, Logitech® G500 laser mouse, and a keyboard TBD (the Logitech® G710 that I have under consideration has no secondary display on board, and the same vendor's G510 has inferior switch technology) riding shotgun.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #21 of 237
That sounds very interesting and unique, Bcschmerker4 - but for myself as with I'm sure even the more seasoned veterans, I'm sure we'd have to see it first to know what's up.

It definitely sounds you need a power strip. Also for everybody, a power-strip will be absolutely essential at this particular meet if you have more than one item to plug in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back