San Francisco: SF Symphony - Mahler No. 5 Get Together?
Sep 26, 2005 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Spektrograf

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, this is for any of you head-fi'ers in the SF Bay Area or anyone else who will be in the area at the end of this week 9/29-10/1. We spend lots of time here talking about how this piece of equipment (usually headphones) sounds more like the real thing, or that sounds like the real thing. Well, here's your chance to listen to the REAL THING!!! LIVE!!!
biggrin.gif

The San Francisco Symphony will be playing Mahler's Symphony No. 5, at the end of this week, 9/29-10/1 under the conductorship of Michael Tilson Thomas. These concerts will be live recorded as part of a series of recordings being done by the San Francisco Symphony to be released in SACD by their own SFS Media label.
cool.gif

Usually, groups of 10 or more can get a 20% discount, but it looks like they're not allowing group discounts for this event. Still, if any of you are interested, I was thinking about going for the Sunday matinee at 2:00pm.

If anyone's interested, we can do a get together for lunch in the area, then hop on over and sit out the subsequent food coma at Davies Hall.
biggrin.gif

I don't know the availability for tickets, they are asking people to call in to check for availability. May not be a good sign?
confused.gif

My next bet is to catch one of their chamber music events on 10/16. Tickets for this event is still available
icon10.gif
and much cheaper (only $30 compared to ~$90).

Sep 26, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks, TheSloth!! (maybe on your next visit to the Bay?)
biggrin.gif

I know this is really short notice (just found out about this performance last night). I also know that people may not check this section of the forum in time (I know I only pop here on a rare occasion).

I just called in and the tix for Sunday's Matinee are almost sold out, though they may release seats back into the audience closer to the event. The Friday performance has more seats available, esp. in larger blocks.

If people are interested in something a bit more budget friendly with more time to plan, here's the program for the chamber music performance on the 16th (again, these are $30 tix, group discounts apply):
  1. Ned Rorem Spring Music for Piano Trio
  2. Mozart String Quartet, in D major K.575
  3. Brahms Piano Quartet in C minor, Opus 60

Sep 30, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 14
Mahler 5 is my FAVORITE Mahler symphony. And yes, i've heard them all. Well, 5 is my favorite if i had to choose... but his second is completely different...much less classically formed than 5... I can't make the concert cause I live in Chicago (home of an equally world-class orchestra, Chicago Symphony), but i'm very jealous of those who get to see Mahler 5 performed anywhere. I have the SACD of San Fran doing Mahler 3, and it's just about perfect.

Also, are there any planned get together's in Chicago anytime soon? I'm somewhat of a newbie to this headphone stuff. I bought the grado sr-60's my freshman year of college (i'm a junior now), and then last year i got the sennheiser hd-580's, then a c-moy amp, then i just got the REGA Ear headphone amp a couple days ago, and my Mahler is sounding pretty nice, though not as much of a difference as i expected...so far.

Anyways, I'm a music student at the Depaul music school in Lincoln Park, so, if anyone is near and wants to see my music collection and/or share their rig and offer suggestions, etc, simply reply

Thanks

Sep 30, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 14
antonvivaldus,

Since you're a Mahler 5 afficionado, you seem to be the perfect person to ask this question.

I'd like to pick-up a copy of M5, but can't decide on which recording. There's what many call the "definitive" 1988 recording with Leonard Bernstein conducting the Vienna Philharmonic. Then, I've heard great opinions about the recording of your own Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Georg Stoli. There also seems to be a nice 2-disc compilation of Mahler's 1 & 5 from Bernstein's work for DG.

Anyways, any good advice here?

Sep 30, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spektrograf
I don't know the availability for tickets, they are asking people to call in to check for availability. May not be a good sign?
confused.gif

My next bet is to catch one of their chamber music events on 10/16. Tickets for this event is still available
icon10.gif
and much cheaper (only $30 compared to ~$90).

I'll be at the performance tonight, I'll let you know how it is!

I'd be up for a Head-Fi hook-up at the symphony later on in the season, tho. I've always wanted to try out the center terrace...that's the seats directly behind the orchestra, here's the view:

dterr_ctr.jpg

...not available for concerts where there's a choir (the choir sits in these seats), but the tickets go on sale just 2 hours before each performance, and they're only $20!

Sep 30, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 14
Nice one, clarke68! Definitely let us know how it is. Plans have come up last minute for me on both Fri and Sun, and Sat seems sold out, so I'll be looking for another symphony concert to go to!

If you (or anyone else) have one in mind for a Head-fi get together, just post up here! I think it'd be a cool event!
600smile.gif

It's a shame, since I was really looking forward to hearing Mahler's No. 5 live!
frown.gif
I'm still eyeing the chamber music event on the weekend of 10/16 for $30.
biggrin.gif
It also seems that SFSU music department has events for free -- though the performance calibur is probably not quite the SF Symphony.
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spektrograf
Definitely let us know how it is.

I'm no Mahler expert (nor symphonic music in general), but I had such a great time last night. I've seen one other Mahler symphony performed (more than 15 years ago...the 4th, I think), and while I have a hard time sitting through an entire hour-long recording of one of his works, live is a completely different story. His symphonies are so cinematic and emotionally varied, especially the 5th...I laughed, I cried...MTT seemed to do everything well, from the raging violence of the 2nd movement to the lush romance of the 4th.

I've only heard the 5th a few times, the Simon Rattle recording that's on the Rhapsody music service, but last night seemed to have a stronger rhythmic drive to it than I remember Rattle's having. I found myself tapping my toes and bopping my head to the more lilting passages in the 3rd & 5th movements.

Oh and the sound, the sound!!! I remember thinking last night that there just can't be a more beautiful sound on earth than a group of violins playing in harmony...warm and soothing like a heavy sonic blanket. Almost (almost) makes me want to get out of hi-fi all together and attend concerts every week. (Just the babysitting realities of that make it impossible, but something to think about anyway...) No sibilance in the highs, no boomy bass, real soundstaging...seems silly to try and describe it in audiophile terms.

Couple of things to listen for when the recording becomes available (they record every night of a 4 night run, who knows how they put together the final release):

1.) Minor flub in the opening fanfare...not a wrong note or anything, just a disappointing lack of conviction somehow. Funny thing is, I saw the SFS perform Also Sprach Zarathustra a few months back, and I'm pretty sure the same guy did the same thing with Strauss' opening fanfare as well.

2.) Someone to my right coughed just a few seconds into the pizzicato section of the 3rd movement. They did their best to muffle it, but that section is quiet enough it could get through.

3.) Someone to my left clapped once at the end of the 3rd movement.

4.) I tried my best to get a "Whoooooooooooo!" onto the recording at the end. I was pretty far from the microphones (they were attached to a rigging truss flown over the orchestra) but who knows?
biggrin.gif

Back onto the topic of the thread (ahem)...another idea for an SF Head-Fi get together would be hooking up at Audium...never checked it out, but always wanted to go.

Oct 1, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 14
clarke68!

Wonderful! Thanks for the impressions of the symphony! I'm green with envy!
lambda.gif

Ditto about the Audium. All these years, and never convinced myself (or anyone else for that matter) to go. Nice idea though.

Cheers!
600smile.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 14
clarke68-

We were at the same performance! My wife and I sat up in the 1st tier center section. It was a wonderful concert, but the two modern pieces at the beginning were pointless filler, IMO. The 5th was really special, tho. The trumpets, french horns, and 8 double basses were amazing. There were a few times when all those basses plucked some way-down-low note and it just rumbled through the hall.

As far as recording goes, there was some kind of electonic beeping or feedback in the first minutes of the symphony that was clearly audible for us, but we couldn't tell what it was. Hopefully that won't rule that concert out for the recording, but we'll never really know what was used because SFS simply gives the date range for the performances not the particular date. Oh, and I did hear a "Whoooop" right at the beginning of the first ovation...maybe it was you.

We are going next in November to see Carmina burana, which we have on CD from an earlier SFS performance. That will be fun. I think we also have another MTT Mahler performance (the 7th?) sometime down the road out of I think 5 concerts in the series we bought.

I am not a huge classical music/symphony fan, but SFS is really top notch and so enjoyable to see. MTT was amazing--not a single sheet of music for that entire symphony and he just nailed it all the way through. As my wife says, he is "Mr. Mahler" so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

We should all try to meet out there sometime.

V

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
We were at the same performance! My wife and I sat up in the 1st tier center section.

Awesome! I'm glad another Head-fier made it. We were in the center nosebleed section, way up high.

Quote:

It was a wonderful concert, but the two modern pieces at the beginning were pointless filler, IMO.

I'm into modern music, and my wife (surprisingly) has always really enjoyed the concerts I've taken her to. The Ruggles piece didn't speak to me too loudly, although the harmonies created by 7 muted horns was interesting. I loved the Morton Feldman piece, although his music is no show-stopper by any means. I loved the way he blended the contrasting timbres (voice/bell, clarinet/piano, violin/percussion, etc.) and the ensemble absolutely nailed the subtle dynamics of the piece, especially the singer.

Quote:

The 5th was really special, tho. The trumpets, french horns, and 8 double basses were amazing. There were a few times when all those basses plucked some way-down-low note and it just rumbled through the hall.

We sat in the 1st tier last time...I think the bass is emphasized in there, at least in back under the balcony where we were. It was great for Also Sprach Zarathustra, which has some 32Hz action on the organ...talk about visceral!

Quote:

MTT was amazing--not a single sheet of music for that entire symphony and he just nailed it all the way through.

My wife noted the same thing. MTT must eat, sleep, & breathe Mahler...I'll bet it's very rewarding for him to be able to record this cycle.

Quote:

We are going next in November to see Carmina burana, which we have on CD from an earlier SFS performance. That will be fun. I think we also have another MTT Mahler performance (the 7th?) sometime down the road out of I think 5 concerts in the series we bought.

Oh my gosh, Carmina Burana would be incredible! I'm going to play it by ear the rest of the season, as my budget's pretty tight these days. I may try and catch one of the open rehearsals some Wednesday morning once I've saved up the vacation time, and a Head-Fi hook up in the Center Terrace would be cool. Everyone could bring their portable set-ups and we could have a mini-meet in line!

Oct 4, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 14
OK, worthless filler was a wee bit strong, especially for the "classy woik" by Feldman, but it was rather incongruous with the big swirling Mahler that followed. Glad you enjoyed it.

Oct 4, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

OK, worthless filler was a wee bit strong, especially for the "classy woik" by Feldman, but it was rather incongruous with the big swirling Mahler that followed. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, contemporary work is largely conceptual, so I certainly couldn't hear the similarities MTT talked about in his little intros. We went with a couple who had never been to the symphony before, and I explained to them during the intermission "okay, the main piece doesn't sound anything like what we just heard..."

One of my favorite things about MTT is his dedication to performing modern works. We attended a few concerts in the "Maverick's" festival the SFS put on a few years ago (my wife was pregnant with our 1st at the time)...it was amazing. Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians was an absolute wonder, and John Cage's works IMO must be heard live...otherwise they're sure-fire cures for insomnia.

Oct 4, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 14
Last year, I attended a live performance of the Mahler 5th by the New York Philharmonic at Avery Fisher Hall. They were GIVING AWAY tickets and mine was in the middle of the orchestra section! I'm not normally a great fan of the NY Phil (100 soloists masquerading as an orchestra?) and Lorin Maazel frequently seems to be trying to out-quirk his predecessor Leonard Bernstein. But this performance was simply extraordinary. The orchestra played with precision, finesse and incredible ensemble, while Maazel squeezed out everything the score had to offer without going overboard or abandoning the composer's intentions. By the time the final note had died away, performers and audience alike were wrung out from the emotional roller coaster ride of the previous hour. I walked home in a daze and didn't put on a pair of headphones for a week, for fear that it might corrupt my memory of this unbelievably wonderful event. What a way to reset my sonic reference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back