San Diego Meet Impressions 12.10.2005
Dec 12, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I think if you listen to the right music, the HE60/Stax are outstanding, but for anything that requires impact bass, they disappoint tremendously. I'm sure there are people out there who only listen to classical/soft stuff and hence find the HE60/Stax systems "elite," but for any rock or rap I can't tolerate them...

Maybe I'm just a UE-10 man or something. Everything else just sounds inferior to my ears.

-Matt

I have different opinion.
For HE60, I really can say it's almost for any kind of music.
It actually has no singature sennihser Dark sound at all.
With very punchy bass and accurate mid

Dec 12, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #17 of 33
I want to thank everyone for coming out and bringing some truly great gear. Only about half of those who expressed interest showed, but it seems most of the gear on the list made it. The UCSD contingent was missing and with finals last week I assume other things were on their minds. 9 strong by my count...

Baby O - Really dug this setup, esp. out of the Ack! Hugely transparent and accurate, there was bass, though not too much in the way of slam. Can't wait to hear these paired with a better amp, Canloader is looking at a Blue Hawaii. We work close by and I hope to pay him a visit in a few months. I might try to secure a similar system for a home setup if I pass on the W5ks.

Stax Classic - Nice, light, airy, completely lacked any sense of impact. Just not for what I listen to, but some opera/classical I can see it.

Senn 580 vs. 650 - Believe it or not I've never heard a high-end Senn before, including their widely popular upper tier dynamic cans. I prefer the 580 in the rigs I listened to (mine and Borat's CIAudio->Hornet). The 650 seemed to lack top end, just wasn't exciting.

Allesandro MS2i - As an HF-1 owner I hear the heritage, but a little too bright. Kinda heavy but felt solidly built. I was curious with these as I'd like to get some phones for recording/monitoring/jamming at night on guitar.

Hornet - About what I expected, forward, fun little amp, compact beyond belief.

EMU 1212->Gilmore Lite->HF-1 - Quite a bit less warmth than running the HF-1 out of my setup, but it seemed more fleet-footed. Very good budget setup.

Beyer 880 - Nice, like this better than the dynamic Senns. A tad bright for my tastes but it got most things right.

Woo Audio 3 - A bit surprised by the ability of this amp. Considering this is the cheapest US built amp it really has a superb sound. I would love to sit down and do a side by side with the Slam.

That's about all I remember, was talking much more than listening (apologies to the folks who sought refuge from the noise, I am a closed can guy afterall
evil_smiley.gif
). Yeah, I figured the L3ks might get slammed a bit, we need to remember there is an asterisk here, only 30 hours on the drivers that were replaced 2 days before the meet. It could be cognitive dissonance, but my ears detected a whole new level of transparency after 150+ hours on the old drivers. It's a shame they didn't have a full week to prepare.

Thanks canloader for all the photos!

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #18 of 33
I like the DT770. I mean, they are strictly mid-fi and they have their weaknesses compared to more expensive headphones, but they are comfortable and provide "speaker-like" bass. If they were my only pair of headphones and I was forced to live with them, I'd be more than happy.

-Matt

Dec 12, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
canloader, where's the picture I took of you wearing the Leatherheads? You're not in any of the pics you put up. Did I screw up taking the photo?

No not at all. I will post a few more with my impressions. Last day for my Finals at school and I have to get on it-

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
No not at all. I will post a few more with my impressions. Last day for my Finals at school and I have to get on it-

By my count it's 3 days past the last day...
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #22 of 33
Sorry for late impressions but Geez what a busy week -
Check out the last pic.. Another leatherhead lover - Enjoying the 3000/Ack!/SLAM. A very desirable set-up. Liquid lush sound with smooth highs and swinging lows. Very opposite the Grado setups I heard. The HF-1 from the WooAudio was an exciting in your face sound. Also heard the HF-1 from the SLAM and wowo! Bossa Nova club pump!
Outstanding !
I was really impressed with Borats Hornet it just exploded the HD650 with soundstage and clarity. That is one tiny/mighty amp!

That was so much fun swapping the DACs and sharing impressions and talking gear/industry with all you. I'm really undecided about what to do for an amp (HE60). There are a few new projects out there with the release of the limited HE90 run... What I really need is a STAX adapter but I can't find one.

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
canloader's impressions took so long I was able to get to San Diego from Florida before he posted them. Nice place, by the way.

Hey - hahaa
Are you visiting ? Welcome to Sunny Diego - Maybe a little cooler that FL

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by canloader
Hey - hahaa
Are you visiting ? Welcome to Sunny Diego - Maybe a little cooler that FL

The weather is great, only a little cooler than FLA at the moment (we had a cold front come thru). We are leaving San Diego today and heading to Big Bear Lake for 3 days then to Costa Mesa thru Christmas. We are hitting Pacific Beach for breakfast then off to Ocean Beach Skatepark.

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
The weather is great, only a little cooler than FLA at the moment (we had a cold front come thru). We are leaving San Diego today and heading to Big Bear Lake for 3 days then to Costa Mesa thru Christmas. We are hitting Pacific Beach for breakfast then off to Ocean Beach Skatepark.

You should check out downtown if you can... the rennaisance it's going thru is freakin awesome. My loft by the ballpark will be done in less than 2 mos.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
You should check out downtown if you can... the rennaisance it's going thru is freakin awesome. My loft by the ballpark will be done in less than 2 mos.
biggrin.gif

We saw some of the lofts that were being built. They look pretty cool. We just arrived in Big Bear Lake. Unfortunately, out winter gear that was supposed to be here today, didn't make it. I am beginning to hate Fedex.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #28 of 33
oups... looks like I missed a meet than happened within 20miles radius :O(

Well, next time I hope!

Arnaud.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnaud

Well, next time I hope!

Arnaud.

I remember you from the Irvine meet. Too bad you missed this meet. I wanted to hear my Hornet through the Meridian again. Outstanding cd player.

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnaud

Well, next time I hope!

Arnaud.

LOL, there is a Los Angeles area meet coming up Jan 15th, but it's even further north this time.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back