SAN DIEGO Meet, April 23
Feb 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #18 of 284
ha you said my laptop which is nothing special but the biggest portable storage I have. I am thinking maybe of bringing my desktop if anyone wanted to hear the Asus Essence STX

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #19 of 284
I almost pulled the trigger on an Asus STX a year ago when I got into this hobby.
After reading a lot, I was spooked by all the "electrical gremlins" that could possibly
mess things up, so I decided to go with external optical DAC's instead.
No regrets, although I am still interested in hearing the Asus STX,
but please dont lug your desktop around just for my sake.
Three DAC's later, I wont be buying the STX now.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #20 of 284
@livewire ya bro now that I modded my cans I no longer want the RS1's so my thoughts are amp or dac so I would love to hear some dacs compared to my STX card.

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 284
@livewire

Nice shot of the HD555.  If only it sounded like that.  
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #23 of 284
Finally I'll get to hear the ESP950. :)  Somehow I've never heard it still but have been meaning to.  Livewire, are you gonna bring the KGSSHV? :)  I'll bring the BH so you can compare and I'll bring the O2s since you've never heard those.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #24 of 284
My LCD-2's arrived today.  Alas I'm note home until tomorrow...   Can't wait to give these a real listen on the Burson!

Minor updates to equipment lists...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #25 of 284

Quote:
@livewire

Nice shot of the HD555.  If only it sounded like that.  
tongue.gif

Thanks,
I back lit it with a flashlight shining through.
Got lucky on the ambient light / shading.
They do sound quite good for el cheapo Senns.
I did both of the "595 mods", result: bigger soundstage, more bass, less of the "veil".
I like them for kick around cans.

BTW, I cant wait to try your Koss stats.
Ima gonna buy me some of those in the future, me thinks.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #26 of 284

Quote:
Finally I'll get to hear the ESP950. :)  Somehow I've never heard it still but have been meaning to.  Livewire, are you gonna bring the KGSSHV? :)  I'll bring the BH so you can compare and I'll bring the O2s since you've never heard those.

It would be an honor to audition your O2's & BH. Never heard either.

As far as the KGSSHV goes, I'll bring it if I ever get it working.
Assembly is done, it's a long story (and a work in progress) told in the KGSSHV thread over at HC.
Long story short, I had the power supply working and while doing further testing, I blew it up twice
due to stupid carelessness on my part. Now i am putting "Humpty HV" back together for the third time.
The amp boards were unaffected, but they are still an unknown as to how they will work.
This is the first KGSSHV prototype ever built and it looks like I am the "crash test dummy". Yuk-Yuk!
basshead.gif

Some pics posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/85561/post-pics-of-your-builds/7590#post_7152643
The box will prolly be painted by the time I bring it.

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #28 of 284
I am an EE, but it's been a while since I've actually done any circuit work for amps.  Like a LONG time.  But I'd enjoy looking.

My only $.02 for testing: fuses!  Lot's of them!  Fast blow, too.  

L3000.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 18, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #30 of 284
gahhhh I cant wait! this will be my first meet, previously the best system I have heard was an hd650 hooked up to a pimeta (no dac, no flac in my library yet). I thought that my friend who had the system was crazy for spending 250$ on headphones (that is how much he paid for the 650s new, ridiculously cheap, right?) and a couple hundred on the amp. now i am sucked into it too 
L3000.gif

oh and this is my 100th post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back