Samsung Z5F + K81DJ. To amp or not to amp? Which one?
Feb 8, 2007 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Molondro

New Head-Fier
Hi people, i've been reading these forums(forii?????) for quite a long time now and a couple weeks ago I bit the dust buying me a pair of AKG 81DJ's to pair with my Samsung Z5F (there go the CX300's into the socks drawer). I'm very pleased with the sound they give, but I think I could use an extra oomph! soundstage and detail, hence my doubt:

Would I get a great improvement by adding an amp to the equation? I mean, It's worth investing 100$ in an amp to lighten up my 80$ k81's? At first I thought of the LDM+, because of the price, size, looks and battery life (in that order), but ah, the most important thing, how it sounds , I couldn't figure it by myself. There are mixed opinions about it: some say it sounds pretty good, while others say it's noisy, badly built and sub-par quality. Recently I became aware of the C&C Box, that for a little extra € looks awesome, and has great audio quality.

I listen to a variety of kinds music: mainly late 70's-80's Rock(Dire Straits, Guns'n'Roses, Eric Clapton, The Who, The Clash, Pink Floyd, ant the list goes on...), some hip-hop and the ocasional female vocals (Sarah Brightman and Origa could bring me to heaven with the right equipement, I wish).

Being my priorities detail, soundstage and musicality, do you think I could be satisfied with a LDM+ or a C&C Box given my DAP + earphones combo? Of course feel free to suggest any other amps up to 100$ shipped (I live in spain)

Thanks in advance, folks, and don't be sorry for my wallet, I am already
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: My english may be confusing, excuse me if so, half my english was learnt reading internet forums
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Any of the amps you mentioned will be fine. That is, the Z5 to an amp straight to the K81 would also be fine. Not the cleanest of options but it'll do. If you want to get the most of your sound though, next step for you is to get a unit that has a lineout. I don't have a pair of K81s so I'm not so sure how big the improvement for the "extra oomph! soundstage and detail" that you want, but given the Z5's small output, there would certainly be an improvement to a bigger or lesser degree.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of the amps you mentioned will be fine. That is, the Z5 to an amp straight to the K81 would also be fine. Not the cleanest of options but it'll do. If you want to get the most of your sound though, next step for you is to get a unit that has a lineout. I don't have a pair of K81s so I'm not so sure how big the improvement for the "extra oomph! soundstage and detail" that you want, but given the Z5's small output, there would certainly be an improvement to a bigger or lesser degree.

Thanks for the suggestion about line out. The fact is, the Z5 was a christmas gift from my fiancee, and thus, it wouldn't be nice of me to sell it
tongue.gif

Also, It's a pity they don't make Lineouts for the Z5, because the unit certainly is capable of line out through the propietary port in the bottom, as in a dock with speakers made especifically for the Z5.

Maybe I'll have a go at the GV5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back