samsung Yp-Z5 ipod nano competitor.....
Feb 27, 2006 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
Best buy has them in stock in 2GB and 4GB configuration. I played with one today.

It is very nice looking, the silver version especially. It is arguably nicer looking than the nano (or at least refreshing). The metal makes it look more durable and less likely to show scratches. The screen is nice and bright and a bit bigger than the nanos. It is more like a cell phone in some ways.

It is shorter, but quite a bit thicker than the nano. It does have a decent hand feel.

Battery life is claimed to be 35 hours

The control layout is a bit confusing and uses a touch strip similar to the creatives, but it is hard to know when to tap and when to click.

It just comes with software and a usb cable. Not even a pouch.

Sound quality was hard to determine since they were pre-loaded files. The eq has some funky surround-sound effects. No radio on board

It does get quite loud however.

Same price as the nano- the main feature difference is the ability to WMA files including subscription files.

It is the exact same price as the nano. I think that might hurt sales. If it were a bit cheaper it probably would sell.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Digi...YP_Z5QSXAA.asp

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 25
My first MP3 player was a Samsung; I bought it without my parents knowing in middle school
icon10.gif

It seems very good, but...I rather have a replaceable battery. That MP# is good, but it's a one-way car till the eventual dead end.

Edit: Well, of course, lol so is the iPod. But I chose my lil Samsung for the AAA battery.

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 25
the nano PWNZ the z5 with lossless format support, line-out, third party support, and rockbox (gapless, flac, ogg, filetree, games, customizeability - if you feel like it).

the battery life is nice, though. i can see how both players have their advantages.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 25
Samsung also has most of the things you mentioned.
Games, third party support (only in Asia cause iPods are so out of date there), etc.

Nano can't "PWN" anything. Even shuffle kills it off with ease.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
which most?

Which most? What does that refer to?
confused.gif

The only reason the Nano gets all the attention is due to the "crowd" enforcement. We all know that.
rolleyes.gif

Too bad the "Shuffle" didn't have that type of crowd. It had more of an angry crowd about no screen.

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Samsung also has most of the things you mentioned.
Games, third party support (only in Asia cause iPods are so out of date there), etc.

which of the things i mentioned is "most"? it doesn't support lossless, or have a line-out (to the best of my knowledge). it doesn't have nearly as many cases/chargers/fm transmitters/replacement parts as the ipod nano. it also certainly does not have rockbox. comparing rockboxes customizability to changing a wallpaper is nothing. what games does the z5 have? does it sync to calendar programs?

edit: doesn't look like it has any games or any calendar or contact features like the nano. there also doesn't seem to be any way to create a playlist on the device. i am also no sure if it does album art.

it does include "street mode" which supposedly "enables clear sound quality outdoors"
rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam3
looks like someone found himself a new battleground. keep fighting the misguided fight buddy.

I hope that wasn't referring to me. I hate fights.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Games don't come out straight of release.
I think I saw it on the Korean Yepp website.

And it can create a playlist. Samsung has the MP3 players which can create a play list with one touch of a button.
confused.gif

It has clock and calendar.

And you can put your fav. pic as the bg of the player.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 25
no, not you. he knows who he is.

this looks to be a great player, i like the way it looks. what it comes down to is a good 4GB player (finally) that does some things the nano doesn't.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #14 of 25
Yup, check this out from Slashdot.

Quote:

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Samsung Steals the Brain Behind the iPod |
| from the mmmm-delicious-brains dept. |
| posted by Zonk on Monday February 27, @06:57 (Media (Apple)) |
| http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...6/02/27/068242 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

An anonymous reader writes "The New York Times reports that Samsung has hired the same programming genius who helped make the iPod so great to design its own music player. They imply that [0]the new Samsung device is just as innovative." From the article: "Samsung's choice of Mr. Mercer also shows how much consumer electronics now rely on the powerful computing capabilities that defined personal computers two decades ago. Samsung is betting that it can win a share of the music market dominated by Apple by using new software that mimics what is found in powerful PC's. The Z5, shaped like a stick of gum, has a 1.8-inch color screen and a 35-hour battery life, and is priced at $199 to $249 to compete with the iPod Nano, which costs $149 to $249. Early reviews have been positive, and Samsung is hoping that the Z5 will work smoothly with the range of subscription music services that support the Microsoft PlaysForSure digital music standard."

Discuss this story at:
http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.p...6/02/27/068242

Links:
0. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/27/te...=1&oref=slogin

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
I hope that wasn't referring to me. I hate fights.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Games don't come out straight of release.
I think I saw it on the Korean Yepp website.

And it can create a playlist. Samsung has the MP3 players which can create a play list with one touch of a button.
confused.gif

It has clock and calendar.

And you can put your fav. pic as the bg of the player.

there is nothing about creating a playlist(on the player), using a calendar, or viewing a clock in the manual.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...NGLISH-0.0.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back