Samsung YP-P2 vs Sony A818
Jan 11, 2008 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lukeswits

New Head-Fier
Ok, it has come down to these 2 players. The Sony im guessing has the better sound quality, but it lacks the video capabilities and overall sexiness. The P2 has the video and sexiness, but i'd rather have tactile controls, and im not sure how good the SQ is on the P2. Has anyone tried it out? Good SQ, bad SQ?

Can someone give me some insight?

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 13
You answered your own question. A818 can play video well but it has only a 2" screen.

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 13
The Sony has phenomenal sound quality. The vidoe is good also, but the screen is quite small. It's sexy too! The SQ on the P2 seems to have mixed reviews, and I myself could not buy a completely touchscreen DAP (love tactile controls).

If you need to play long movies then the P2 (or even Meizu) would be the choice. If you are looking mainly for music and some video, then the Sony is the way to go. Keep checking Amazon. The price drops down into the $160s every once in a while:

Sony NWZ-A818 8gb

The P2 never seems to drop below $200

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 13
I went with the Sony myself. I wanted the Samsung P2 but the interface was lacking. I am coming from a Sammy YP-T9 which had great sound but the Sony is even better, I hate Sony usually but they finally made a good DAP.

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 13
Does anyone know how the K3 compares to the P2 SQ wise? I prefer the K3 over the 818. However, I kept the 818 and returned the K3 for ergonomic reasons. I compared a week old K3 with a brand new 818 though. So, I don't know if burn in might be a factor.

With both DMPs, I used a pair of JVC HAFX300. I would characterize this headphone as sort of warm and tilted low on the bass but very good overall sound for a IEM.

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 13
I am the new owner of a nwz-a818 (3 days about 20 hrs. of play time) and I must say I am impressed. Even though I still have sub par headphones (shure e3c).
I tried the P2 for half the day and was turned off by how miserable the touch interface was. I did not find it to be nearly as responsive or intuitive as apples unit.
Sound quality, well I did not have anything to judge by since the player was loaded with my buddy's wack excuse for music and a pair of sony mdr-nc6 headphones. However sound quality was a non issue once I experienced the interface.
My personal opinion the sony is a win with it's ruggedness, great tactile controls and stellar sq.

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jay sun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am the new owner of a nwz-a818 (3 days about 20 hrs. of play time) and I must say I am impressed. Even though I still have sub par headphones (shure e3c).
I tried the P2 for half the day and was turned off by how miserable the touch interface was. I did not find it to be nearly as responsive or intuitive as apples unit.
Sound quality, well I did not have anything to judge by since the player was loaded with my buddy's wack excuse for music and a pair of sony mdr-nc6 headphones. However sound quality was a non issue once I experienced the interface.
My personal opinion the sony is a win with it's ruggedness, great tactile controls and stellar sq.

While Shure E3 isn't the best IEM around it's not bad.

Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Simply use sony's EQ and ClearBass setting to get the sound you want out of your IEM. I find that my E4c respond to EQ really well. Give your E3c and Sony EQ a chance to get your sound the way you want it.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 13
im gonna go with the P2. the sony is probably a really good player, but i think the small screen will make me regret what i bought. plus i dont have an expensive pair of headphones to put on this baby so i guess i would cheating on the SQ part. i think the p2 fills my needs, and from what i read, the SQ is good. and its got its own EQ for me to play with.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #10 of 13
A818 comes with good headphones already YP-P2 does not.

Jan 13, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 13
Ive got both, well the atrac version of the Sony. I loved it when I got it when it came out, ever since getting the P2 I dont use the Sony. Sony sounds lovely. But the P2 is just fantastic. Watching videos onit is much better than watching it on the Sonys little screen. The sound with good headphones and the right EQ on the p2 sounds very good imo. Not as good as the Sony, but good enough. Im no audiophile so I'm not bothered. P2 has alot of features which you could make use of. Bluetooth being the main one! Take calls and dial out once you connect the player to a bluetooth enabled phone. With 2 more bluewave upgrades planned new features will be added. Games to come along in the next upgrade in 2weeks or so along with some other stuff. You'll be happy with both players, for SQ go for the Sony, for features/video etc go for the P2.

Jan 13, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by p2A810wner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive got both, well the atrac version of the Sony. I loved it when I got it when it came out, ever since getting the P2 I dont use the Sony. Sony sounds lovely. But the P2 is just fantastic. Watching videos onit is much better than watching it on the Sonys little screen. The sound with good headphones and the right EQ on the p2 sounds very good imo. Not as good as the Sony, but good enough. Im no audiophile so I'm not bothered. P2 has alot of features which you could make use of. Bluetooth being the main one! Take calls and dial out once you connect the player to a bluetooth enabled phone. With 2 more bluewave upgrades planned new features will be added. Games to come along in the next upgrade in 2weeks or so along with some other stuff. You'll be happy with both players, for SQ go for the Sony, for features/video etc go for the P2.

yeah i was wondering, what do you use for your EQ settings? and what do you use to encode your videos, what format and what program?

i heard that there is a korean samsung forum and the developers are listening to users of the P2 what they want and putting it in updates. maybe they'll release a wifi attachment and have internet browser!

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeswits /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah i was wondering, what do you use for your EQ settings? and what do you use to encode your videos, what format and what program?

i heard that there is a korean samsung forum and the developers are listening to users of the P2 what they want and putting it in updates. maybe they'll release a wifi attachment and have internet browser!

I use Badak and the P2 Preset for it, works like a charm, it converts them into AVI, then you just rename it .svi to play on the P2. For EQ I have a few diff EQs, on the official Yepp site which is Korean there is a massive set of Customisable EQs sent in via P2 users which is great, the one Im using at the mo sounds great. Yup Im on that forum to, theres a wishlist, we just keep adding things we want and hopefully they will listen to us! The so called cradle was leaked on a youtube video, seemed fake but at CES 2008 theres a picture with a p2 on some sort of dock/cradle as of yet noone knows what it exactly is or does!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back