Samsung Yp-910gs impressions (finally)
Mar 26, 2004 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Krishna

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I finally have some conclusive impressions of my Yp-910gs and I would like to start off by thanking Soopes for helping me signup for Napster. I thought by signing up for napster I would be rewarded with a firmware, but....

I will start with the good.
It's pretty small without the case, and it looks good. It has a metalic feal to it and the glowing lights are pretty cool.
The unit is very simple to use consisting of a jog dial, a central volume button, a menu button, and a select button. THe menues are simple, with Now Playing, Library, Fm Tuner, Settings, and FM transmission options.
It sounds good. I know for sure that it is heavy on the bass because my PMX60s need alot of bass to sound proper and without the EQ on it sounds pretty good. Another good thing is that it can carry the headphones to very loud levels, equal to those of portable speakers.
Finally it comes with alot of accessories- Case, Fm transmitter antenna, line in cable, power charger, etc.

Fm transmission is surprisingly good, but once you get close to Toronto or any other major city it pretty much craps out.

Battery life is inbetween 10-14hrs. I haven't really tested it with a stop watch so I don't know the exact timing but I used it for 4 days, 3hrs a day, without having to recharge and it was still going even with all the bars gone. Also it has a li-poly battery which don't explode and can be charged/discharged about 5000 times, almost twice as long as li-ion

OH! The best thing about the unit though is that I got it for $180 brand new off of EBAY!

Ok now for the bad.
very_evil_smiley.gif

1.Napster Software sucks! It took me 4 days and the help of Soopes to get signed in because I live in Canada. Samsung made a huge mistake when signing up with Napster. I mean couldn't they forsee that people from many countries will be buying their product. Then it totally lacks any features. No options for ripping. No genre listings under the library. No nothing. Also its a total pain in the gludeus maximus to try to select more than one file. Terrible software! The only reason I wanted to get signed in to the Napster Software was so I could upgrade the firmware, but once I did sign in there was nothing there. Not really Napster fault, Samsungs ofcourse, but the fact that I had to sign in to download firmware that wasn't there pisses me off.

2. THe unit has alot of good features but it is missing some crucial things. The most important to me in the GENRE listing under the library. I organize all my music by genre mainly, so this was big downfall for me.

3.The playlists cannot be made on the fly. This wouldn't be that much of a problem if you could actually see what songs are on the playlist before you actually play it. You go directly to the now playing screen when you select the playlist.

4.The now playing screen has this stupid animation on the top and takes up way to much space. Wheres the bitrate/file type info? Wheres the equalizer? I don't care about a stupid animation.

5.There are only 5 equalizer presets and you can't make custom ones.

So over all it is a pretty good player. Its not perfect, but its certainly not terrible.

I give it a 76/100. I will be keeping it and I hope that Samsung will make some better additions to it be for they release any new products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back