Samsung YP-900GT
Aug 23, 2003 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PeterDLai

Headphoneus Supremus
Any news on this player? I want to learn about these things early to make my mind up.. so far I'm hooked on the Rio Karma.

Supposedly the Samsung device was delayed because Apple threatened to sue them because the original model was too similar to the iPod. Therefore, they chose not to deal with Apple and just redesign it.

Now that's where my curiosity is raised. Perhaps maybe this is even the player that DAPreview is hinting at, maybe not. But it still is "mysterious" at this point. Samsung, a Korean company, does make pretty good products. I hope what they're working towards ends up being awesome. One of the key features that the YP-900GT was the FM transmitter, which is illegal in Europe (not sure if it's all Europe or just parts). It was originally planned to have 10 GB, but they may have to change that to go with the times when 20-40 GB is becoming a standard.

I believe this player will come sometime in September. (correct me)

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 14
Err actually it looks like it'll be released in October.

I hope they revamp the features though. 10 GB, 10 hours battery life, and about the same size as the iPod will not do it.

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 14
I know there is a cost trade off, but with drives getting so cheap, why not come out with something bigger than 10 gig? I had a 20 gig NJB3 and filled it up. Now I have a 30 gig iPod and it is just about full. Yes, I can delete some lesser listened to tracks, but I like having my entire MP3 collection with me.

Creative Labs did it right with the 60 gig Zen.

Aug 23, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 14
Ah I just figured out that they delayed it again 'til October. It was originally planned for May, then delayed 'til the Fall, to September, now to October.

It probably is a wise choice for them IF they develop it further to compete with the coming products (such as the iHP-100 or the Rio Karma).

Another tid-bit is that I believe they'll be including a remote control with the YP-900GT.

Aug 23, 2003 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 14
I came here to post on this very same topic and noticed this post. Where did you hear this Apple law suit story?

I agree, there is no excuse for a whimpy 10gig drive. 20 should be a minumum.... but then again the 10 gig specs (and all other specs) have been published and unchanced for about 9 months now...... technology and pricing has chanced in the past 9 months
biggrin.gif

I'm interested in this mp3 player because of the FM transmitter. I want to use it in my car instead of getting a CD player. It'll be like a remote control for my car stereo---- except all the music is stored in the "remote control"
cool.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 14
the samsung YP-900 has a couple things going for it, Line-in recording and FM Transmitter (like the Nueros). But as its been delayed for so long, the 10gb capacity is looking a little lean these days. It uses the 1.8" Toshiba drives and its about the size of the old iPods.

here's a few pics of the original design.

http://www.austinv.com/pics/juke/Samsung/index1.html

I don't know if or what the new design will look like.

Aug 25, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 14
It'll be a while, and by the time it reaches October, they better have something that can compete with everything that is out by then.

I hope they surprise everyone with a really nice one (meaning they would improve upon the original design a great deal, and maybe they'll do even better than if they had released it in the originally planned May 2003).

Sep 1, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 14
Well, YP-900GT was upgraded to 20 GB recently and is now planned to hit the streets in October.

Strangely enough, it still uses the same design as it did before, although Apple tried to sue them over this some months ago. Well, I'm puzzeled.

Anyways, the 20 GB improvement is pretty neat, but what good is it going to do when the rest of the player isn't improved or enhanced since CeBit 2002 was taking place in China? Generally speaking, this is still the same thing - scratch the new exterior, which was already know at CeBit 2003 and the 20 GB.

10 Hours of battery life isn't all that great either.

Sep 1, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 14
Perhaps (not likely) they are going to sell it for cheap to compete well.

Cheap models currently are offered by Creative, RCA, Archos, etc., but if Samsung can pull off a cheap 1.8" player (doubt it), they'll do great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back