Samsung YH-820
Apr 4, 2005 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

link247

New Head-Fier
Does anyone own/have an opinion on this player? I was browsing through the Future Shop website and was amazed at all the features Samsung crammed in to this thing. Is the battery life decent (says 8 hours but can you get more or do you get less)? What about transfer speeds?

Apr 5, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 5
Hey link247,

Actually, I was just over at my local futureshop the other day to compare the Micro/Mini/H10 side by side in person. And... I was suprised to see that they had the Samsung micro player on display. I always wanted one, but thought I could never get my hands on them for testing here locally. They are selling pretty cheap on eBay though... I saw one go for $150US.

Anyways, from the pictures it sure looks like the controls are all touch sensitive... but they're actually big flat plastic buttons. Not sure what I can compare it to, but when you press on it... you can actually feel it click. Pretty nice, I'd say.

If I remember correctly, its basically the same size as the mini... perhaps a bit shorter. The front of the player looked much better in person, especially with the coloured screen. It was pretty dark inside, so I'm not too sure how'd it look outside in the daylight. The only colour was silver, not sure if they have the other colours like they do in Korea, but it compliments the white. I think the casing is metal. The back is rather simplistic though.

I only played around for it awhile... but the GUI seemed pretty intuitive. I like the main menu with all the cool images ~ great use of the colour screen. Theres no album art though. It had a few sample songs and pictures on it, and I accessed it without any trouble. I didn't figure out how to set on the fly playlists though, but it looks like your only stuck with one playlist. Pretty pointless I'd say ~ unless you can import more from the Napster 2 Go software. I'm not sure about how it sounds...

I asked the sales rep, and he said the battery life sucked even compared to the 1G Minis. I didn't seem to find a removable battery door too :S.

I'd go for it, if you find a real bargain . . . but I'd still pay the extra bucks to get a Micro/Mini. Or a Carbon
biggrin.gif

Theres some reviews on the net if you haven't already read yet >

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/portabl...086945p,00.htm
http://www.benscustomcases.com/index...=764&Itemid=40

Theres also another one that I read awhile back . . . don't remember where though.

Well, good luck !

~ truffles

Apr 5, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Sounds good. The only concern I have is about the battery life. It's rated at 8 hours, but when reading the CNET review of the 512/1GB flash player Samsung has released, also with a Li-Ion battery rated at 8 hours, CNET got 11.5 hours out of it. I know that the YH-820 is an HD player so things might be different, so does anyone have any first hand experience with the battery life/the player in general?

Apr 6, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 5
A good friend of mine has this unit and it works pretty well but it does have its flaws.

First off the battery life sucks...bad. 8 hours is a bit generous as she claims that getting 5 hours is a rarity

Next up is the interface. A little awkward but not too difficult that you can't get used to it quickly

Next up...a lack of accessories, but this is a problem for everyone unless you own an iPod. But trying to get replacement parts like an additional synch cable is expensive and difficult

But the BIGGEST problem is the software. You need Napster's software to load music onto the player and this software is, simply put, a serious POS. The GUI is goofy at best and completely counter-intuitive.

All that being said, it actually does have decent output, isn't too big, is sturdily built, and the price is real sweet. I would reccomend it for a bargain shopper and occaisional user, but not for a serious DAP.

My $.02, take it for what its worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back