Samsung YEPP YP-T7Z: New flash player
Apr 3, 2005 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Seijang

100+ Head-Fier
Here's the Link: Samsung YEPP YP-T7Z

I don't have very high opinions of cnet reviews, mostly because they are totally biased for Apple, but when cnet.com gives a high score to a DAP, I perk up and take notice (they're pretty fair when it comes to grading).

I read the review (and I hope others will too..) and here's what I found I liked about this little guy - might jump in and buy it for my sister.

Flash Player. 512MB and 1GB versions. Retail is 150, 200, respectively. Some online stores sell the 1GB (which I'm looking at) for ~175 shipped.

Features
1) bright, 65,000-color screen, which measures 1.2 inches diagonally
2) tiered windows explorer-like interface (a la iRiver)
3) 2.4 by 1.5 by 0.5 inches (Small!) and only 1.2 ounces
4) FM radio (That seems to work well)
5) Recording (by using a line-in) (I also think there's a mic on the player, but not sure)
6) Drag and drop! or Syncing w/ WMP.
7) Text Viewer
8) 8mb/sec transfer speed
eek.gif

Here's the kicker: MP3, WMA, protected WMA. Ogg Vorbis and ASF playback! A flash player with .ogg playback.. man if I only knew the SQ on this guy, I'd buy it for myself -_-.

Also, quote: "And if you're unsatisfied with Samsung's stock sound quality, you can adjust it with a variety of preset EQ settings (Normal, Classic, Jazz, and Rock) or use the seven-band user EQ to tinker playback to your exact tastes; in comparison, most players only offer a five-band custom setting. The device also includes WOW effects, SRS (surround sound), and TruBass (bass enhancer) audio-enhancement features that are standard on Samsung MP3 players. And if that's still not enough bass for you, there's an additional Bass Booster option."

Cliff Notes: Lots of EQ presets, WOW, SRS, TruBass, Bass Booster and a 7 band equalizer!

CONS: Not sure if there is shuffle or not. NO PLAYLIST SUPPORT! And a tested 11.7 hour battery life after charge
frown.gif

If this mp3 player has shuffle, I am almost definitely getting this for my sister. Wow, what a little bugger chock full of features...

Anyone know if 175 dollars seems like a good price?

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seijang
A flash player with .ogg playback.. man if I only knew the SQ on this guy, I'd buy it for myself -_-.

It's not as if it's the first flash-based player with ogg capabilities. Have you looked into the iAudio line made by Cowon, including the G3, the 5, and the U2? Sure, they don't have a 65,000 color screen, but they are more of a known quantity, as you can find a variety of comments about their sound quality here on head-fi.

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempus
It's not as if it's the first flash-based player with ogg capabilities. Have you looked into the iAudio line made by Cowon, including the G3, the 5, and the U2? Sure, they don't have a 65,000 color screen, but they are more of a known quantity, as you can find a variety of comments about their sound quality here on head-fi.

Ah -_-;. I knew about them. Sorry, I was just kinda excited about this fellow, so I guess I was gushing.

Apr 3, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm not a big fan of yepp players. The ones I used a long while ago had horrible functioning and the worst sound I've ever heard in a portable. Hope this is different.

Apr 3, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 9
having owned a 4th gen iPod + currently this YP-T7Z, all I can say is that Samsung SQ doesn't win over Apple's.

But what can I say, in my book, wow settings and the 7 band EQ make up for that. Despite its tiny size [this thing is roughly 1/4 the physical size of a 20GB 4th gen iPod], this thing gets plenty loud and I don't worry about the battery as much as I ever did with the iPod.

Now, as far as negatives go, lack of true multiple playlist support is not cool. At all. With flash players, drag & drop is only ok. I would rather have the thing recognize WMP auto-playlists and get on with my life.

Apr 3, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 9
although I haven't used it [I create a randomized playlist on WMP instead], there are two choices for shuffling in settings = shuffle folder + shuffle all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back