Samsung wins deal to supply future Ipod chipsets.
Apr 27, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 14
"chipset" is a bit vague, is it not? you could be referring to any of the primary ICs in the ipod, some of which don't have anything to do with audio.

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 14
Samsung will be making even MORE money.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
"chipset" is a bit vague, is it not? you could be referring to any of the primary ICs in the ipod, some of which don't have anything to do with audio.

You could assume that im talking about the audio chip.

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage
You could assume that im talking about the audio chip.

then i'd proceed to ask, "which one?"

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 14
Apart from decoding the MP3 into a direct digital audio stream, the Portalplayer chipset doesn't actually deal with the sound side. The Wolfson codecs (the same, or inferior versions to the 5G's codec can be found in many other players) do. Admittedly that is a factor in the ultimate sound quality but the Portalplayer chipset doesn't do a bad job of MP3 decoding.

I haven't bothered to look them up but I guess Portalplayer shares have totally tanked?

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 14
Unsurprising. I think PP's only other major customer for portable chipsets is(or was) iRiver, isn't it?

As long as the next Nano isnt anything like the YP-Z5, I'm not bothered.

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #12 of 14
Does that guy always use a pair of MDR-V700DJ's as his reference phones? When I did the Mobiblu review, I thought about posting it with the V700 instead in the 'sound quality' section as a pisstake of anythingbutipod but I thought few would get the joke if at all
biggrin.gif

Funny thing is that had the YP-Z5 been an Apple, he would almost certainly have ripped it to shreds
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I haven't bothered to look them up but I guess Portalplayer shares have totally tanked?

Yeah, "tanked" is a good word.

play.jpg

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 14
I thought I read that the deal with Samsung was the supply of chips for flash-memory based iPods only. AFAIK PortalPlayer will still supply chips for the HD-based iPods - at least for the time being...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Unless, of course, all next-gen iPods are to be flash-based (how much would 80 gigs of NAND memory cost?
eek.gif
eek.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back