Samsung vs Apple compatibility issues
Mar 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RixNox

Head-Fier
I have discovered that wiring scheme between Samsung and Apple earphone jacks aren't compatible, however this article states the contrary, at least for latest Samsung models.

How can I verify before buying the headphones what wiring scheme is being used?

Are there any jack converters? If so what should I look for?

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 6
There's the CTIA wiring scheme and OMTP - the mic and earth connections are swapped around while the stereo left and right channels remain the same. If you use the acronyms to search by, this should turn up what handsets have which scheme.

Put them both into Amazon for example, and converters will be listed. I don't know if they're any good however, not having tried them.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 6
You're getting into the rabbithole there! Some remote designs have resistors, some have a 'beep beep' pulse signal or similar which depends on software in the phone. I get round this by not having any friends and just using a dedicated music player
wink_face.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Ah no - a Fiio X3! Plain stereo and nothing else to worry about..

The app route might be worth investigating - I've not considered it. I know about the wiring standards and the sort of self-protection tricks used by Apple/signals by impedance but not much more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back