Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
Apr 2, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #46 of 452
Does it have Aptx HD? I know it's the first phone with BT 5 but no word on the codec it use. No word on the APTX HD site either.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #47 of 452
Does it have Aptx HD? I know it's the first phone with BT 5 but no word on the codec it use. No word on the APTX HD site either.

The only phones that have Aptx HD are LG G5/6 and V20 series currently. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #48 of 452

The Snapdragon 835 specs on the Qualcomm site say that the AP supports both APT X classic and APT X HD. I really hope that means that we can expect to see those codecs implemented as standard.

I'm also hoping for clarification on this.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #49 of 452
The only phones that have Aptx HD are LG G5/6 and V20 series currently. 
Yes those are the ones have been confirmed indeed. Still holding some hope for the Samsung.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #50 of 452
The Snapdragon 835 specs on the Qualcomm site say that the AP supports both APT X classic and APT X HD. I really hope that means that we can expect to see those codecs implemented as standard.

I'm also hoping for clarification on this.
Yup.

Apr 3, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #51 of 452
I am really confused to why Aptx Low Latency existed. They could merge all AptX, AptXHD and AptX low latency to one technology for simpler reference. Something like AptX 2 or Apt X Lossless. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #54 of 452
Hands on with the bundled in AKG headphones is a little disappointing. The build quality is quite good for bundled headphones but it doesn't scream Harman by any means. The build and the sound signature are actually very Samsung. The mids are a little bit veiled on vocals. There's far too much bass. And there's some kind of whacky jagged sounding roll off going in with the treble. It's just all sorts of wrong. 

I just got them today so I'm not too deep in with them yet. Listened to a couple albums on Tidal with my iPhone SE. On both Operation Ivy and Gilberto/Getz (punk and bosa nova jazz for those unfamiliar) bass stood out way too much. Vocals were okay but the whackiness with the treble really ruined Operation Ivy. 

These are bundled buds, what should one expect? 

I do love all things AKG and I was hoping for some actually tuning from them, however I just don't think there was much of any. 

I'll keep them though, for ****s and giggles.

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #55 of 452
  Hands on with the bundled in AKG headphones is a little disappointing. The build quality is quite good for bundled headphones but it doesn't scream Harman by any means. The build and the sound signature are actually very Samsung. The mids are a little bit veiled on vocals. There's far too much bass. And there's some kind of whacky jagged sounding roll off going in with the treble. It's just all sorts of wrong. 

I just got them today so I'm not too deep in with them yet. Listened to a couple albums on Tidal with my iPhone SE. On both Operation Ivy and Gilberto/Getz (punk and bosa nova jazz for those unfamiliar) bass stood out way too much. Vocals were okay but the whackiness with the treble really ruined Operation Ivy. 

These are bundled buds, what should one expect? 

I do love all things AKG and I was hoping for some actually tuning from them, however I just don't think there was much of any. 

I'll keep them though, for ****s and giggles.

Thanks!
Can you try the S8 with your favorite pair of iem?
We are still wondering if it got an amp or not like the HTC 10

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #56 of 452
As spiffy as this phone might be, this is hardly a "ringing" endorsement of the sound quality in comparison to the V20 and their B&O's. It looks like I'm going to wait for the Note 8, or better yet, the LG V30. If anybody is interested, the LG V20, with high impedance headphones, and hi-res flacs or DSD's, is nothing short of miraculous (IMHO).

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #57 of 452

Thanks!
Can you try the S8 with your favorite pair of iem?
We are still wondering if it got an amp or not like the HTC 10

I work in a store with S8 demo models ont he floor but I don't think I'll get too much quality time with it for listening. And anyway, my favorite IEM is the old single BA Mee Audio A161P. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #58 of 452
It seems likely that a Cirrus Logic SC43130 DSP is in that s8 exynos version, at least, that russian review Meder Bakirow mentioned, makes somehow a trustworthy impression at all. But how do he know? Do he opened the phone and had a good look inside ^^ ?

That Cirrus Logic SC43130 DSP seems to be equal to that stuff inside the lg v20 and korea version of lg g6.

A shame that mostly of these reviewer seems to not care enough about audio quality and so dont say a single word about it.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #59 of 452
I've ordered the S8+ today, hopefully to receive on 20 April...

Will be an interesting shootout with the handsets I have left - by that time, S8+, S7 Edge, LG G5 and iPhone 7 Plus...

I swear I should work in a phone shop!

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #60 of 452
I have tested the Exynos version of S8+ in the store with Sennheiser HD600 and it is performing not as good as the korean LG G6 version I own. S8+ amp is not sufficient to drive 300 Ohm. I still would need to test it with IEMs (I have RHA T20i) but I would not expect wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back