Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
Apr 20, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #136 of 452
Thanks, I had seen this page a year ago, just hoping that whoever mentioned it on their video was correct. Sometimes the listing is not fully up to date and as the S8 hadn't gone on official sale, it wouldn't surprise me to see it not on the list.

Sure it's possible, however it was just put on the website among the classic Aptx phones page a few days ago, so it's quite current.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #137 of 452
I really wanted that phone before the V20 came out, but it lacked certain radios of Tmo's bands, and it's reception was weaker than average even on Wi-Fi, not just cell. So I didn't take a chance. yes it's a very good looking phone and the price was very tempting.

I use MetroPCS which is on Tmobile's network.  I haven't had any issues with service or reception on either Wifi or cellular.  Time will tell though, I've only had the phone for less than a week.  

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #138 of 452
Makes the S7 sound so flat and lacking life. Sound quality of S8 nearer X5III than the S7. More listening to do with high def but this is sounding excellent on initial feelings.

Is your s7 snapdragon or exynos?

Did you use the adapt sound on the s7?

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #141 of 452
For those of you who have an external DAC with a sample rate indicator and an s8, is it possible if someone could test if everything is still being re-sampled to 192khz? or 384khz even now that the s835 and the galaxy s8 will do 384khz and dsd128.

I have some 24bit 352.8khz tracks on my phone and they play back on the google play music app at either 192 or 176.4khz on my dac, most likely 192khz. I think samsung have improved their re-sampling algorithm in recent software updates.

If it were possible for apps to directly take control of the sample rate of the DAC, something like HQ player could do the upsampling to the max sample rate of the DAC with the softwares own filters at an exact multiple of the sample rate, and that could really improve playback of cd quality audio which is still the majority.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #142 of 452

Both Exynos and Adapt Sound set on both.

In that case.. very interesting!

I wasn't expecting anything special about the S7 edge's SQ, but after using the adapt sound function, I find I am pretty happy.  And as long as I don't slap on my Zuperdac and do a direct comparison, I remain happy lol.

But if the S8's SQ is that much better, then that's pretty good.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #143 of 452
In that case.. very interesting!

I wasn't expecting anything special about the S7 edge's SQ, but after using the adapt sound function, I find I am pretty happy.  And as long as I don't slap on my Zuperdac and do a direct comparison, I remain happy lol.

But if the S8's SQ is that much better, then that's pretty good.

Just doing some back to back listening tests now with my Shure's against my Fiio X5III and at the moment Im finding the S8 just as musical, with sound stage just as good.Crysal clear mids with clean impactful base and no shrill highes. At this rate the X5III may be sat in its box! With sensitive IEM's I can't find fault but the Fiio is going to do much better with headphones (dont use any now).

Plays all my flacs and DSD's in Samsung music app without issue.

When going back from my X5III to my S7 I always noticed the drop in quality but really struggling to hear difference with the S8. Really close to my ears with SE846.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #144 of 452
Just doing some back to back listening tests now with my Shure's against my Fiio X5III and at the moment Im finding the S8 just as musical, with sound stage just as good.Crysal clear mids with clean impactful base and no shrill highes. At this rate the X5III may be sat in its box! With sensitive IEM's I can't find fault but the Fiio is going to do much better with headphones (dont use any now).

That's pretty darned promising.

Considering that I just got my S7 edge, it will be a while before I can upgrade. By that time I'll probably be looking at the S10 or whatever and I'm sure the SQ will be sufficient for my needs. And hopefully by then they will also have put the fingerprint reader put back on the front!

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #145 of 452

When going back from my X5III to my S7 I always noticed the drop in quality but really struggling to hear difference with the S8. Really close to my ears with SE846.

that sounds quite good psikey didnt know it plays DSD's

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #146 of 452

I can only pray that the Qualcomm-variant sounds that good. Here's to hoping! I'll know tomorrow. 

-Collin-

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #147 of 452

I don't see this at all.  I think the s8 does sound good and it does a pretty good job rendering cymbals but i can tell a night and day difference on the x7.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #148 of 452
  For those of you who have an external DAC with a sample rate indicator and an s8, is it possible if someone could test if everything is still being re-sampled to 192khz? or 384khz even now that the s835 and the galaxy s8 will do 384khz and dsd128.

I have some 24bit 352.8khz tracks on my phone and they play back on the google play music app at either 192 or 176.4khz on my dac, most likely 192khz. I think samsung have improved their re-sampling algorithm in recent software updates.

If it were possible for apps to directly take control of the sample rate of the DAC, something like HQ player could do the upsampling to the max sample rate of the DAC with the softwares own filters at an exact multiple of the sample rate, and that could really improve playback of cd quality audio which is still the majority.

I'm using my Snapdragon 835 S8+ with a DragonFly Red+SE846. The DragonFly shows the sample output is at 48kHz (Blue lighting) when played from Spotify and Samsung Music Player. Using USB Audio Player Pro, the sample rate adjusts to the song.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #150 of 452
  Looking forward to hear your impressions too. Hopefully S8 works better than G5...

G5  (with the Hifi Plus module) for music is very hard to beat imo so I wouldn't expect the S8 to be able to do so. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back