Samsung S7 Edge - Is double amping really that bad?
Jun 2, 2016 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kitsvancouver

New Head-Fier
I'm considering purchasing a dedicated digital audio player (like an X5 II) and am wondering what benefits I will get over using one of my smartphones. 

I carry two smartphones (work/personal) so am reluctant to add yet another device to my briefcase/pocket.   One smartphone is iOS (iPhone 6) and one is Android (Samsung S7 Edge) and I usually get a new phone every 12 months.  I've been very closely following the thread about the iPhone being an awesome audio player. 

I listen to music in one of two places:
  • Work desk
    I usually use one of my wired headphones or Bluetooth headphones connected to one of my smartphones.   I'm mostly happy with the sound quality, but the volume is kind of low for some music (Dire Straights Brothers In Arms comes to mind). 
    I also use a Beyerdynamic A200P at work but haven't used it much because the quality of the wheel is pretty crappy.  I purchased two and both had some QA issues.  
    I have over 12 pairs of portable headphones now that I rotate.
  • Home
    I purchased a Schiit Valhalla 2 which I use usually when I'm working.  For home, I usually use one of the following headphones: DT990 (Classic) or HD598.   I'm likely to buy a new pair in the next month (either HD800, HD800S or Beyerdynamic T1 v2). 
    Currently, I plug a 1/8 inch plug into one of my smartphone headphone jacks and run to the RCA jacks in the back of my Valhalla 2.   I read somewhere this is bad because I am double amping the music. 

So, I'm wondering if I will get a lot of benefit from buying a discrete DAP with line-out vs. using the headphone out jack of one of my smartphones.  

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 5
from what I know you should either use phone's headphone out
or if you want better sound buy external USB DAC/headphone AMP and stream your music to the DAC via phone's USB port.
Your headphones attach then directly to the DAC/AMP, not to the phone.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 5

Thanks.   I have never heard anyone say it doesn't matter so that's good news!  Does anyone know if there are any A/B tests comparing headphone out to AMP vs DAC line-out to AMP?  

Going from DAC to amplifier means I have to either buy a new DAC or a new digital player with DAC.  Since both cost about the same, I'm starting to think it's better to just get the digital player. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 5
I dunno man. my DAP history: Sony mini HDCreative zen vision:m (Still works, though borked usb connector won't allow me to put new music into it)iPhone 3GsCreative Zen Xfi2 (Stolen)iPhone 4 Samsung Galaxy S4Lg g3.iBasso dx90 While I can say the Galaxy s4 and the Lg G3 difference's were subtle, to my ears, the DX 90 is worlds apart in terms of clarity, soundstage and imaging, I simply couldn't believe it.

Although the g3 is severly underpowered compared to the iPhone ( I have tried the 6). Once I started using the dx90, All the details came to life, I heard sounds that simply weren't there before or were just dull, then I never understood sound "imaging" until I heard music from the dx90... compared to my previous phones and players, which sounded flat.

Best bet would go to a store and try for yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back