Samsung P2!
Nov 9, 2007 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sparda

Head-Fier
This would be my first time reviewing a product so go easy on me. The YP-P2 is one of the DAPs from Samsung's new lineup for this season out of the three: P2, T10 and S5. The P2 has a 3" WQVGA touchscreen (480x272) and comes in 2GB, 4GB or 8GB variants (wheres the 16GB?). I have the 8GB and it dented my wallet by $270 + taxes. Although a bit pricey but it is cheaper than it's direct competitor the iPod Touch. I won't go there and compare them. The P2 also has wireless Bluetooth 2.0 supporting A2DP and PUSH. Also able to sync with your bluetooth enabled phone so you can receive incoming calls directly from the P2 with it's built in mic. The touch screen is a different variant that does not require pressure but just a slight touch. With the interface Samsung uses it reacts to the way you move your fingers, swiping them up down will move lists, left right will advance to next/previous song/picture/video. You get the idea. Drawing them in circles will also alternate the menu in 'Cosmos' style. Radio, text viewer, 30fps video playback, image viewer... there are enough features to keep you busy even if you aren't listening to your tunes. The SQ is of the better ones out of the many DAPs out there, but compared to my MZ-RH1 it doesn't impress me much. For the majority of people out there the SQ and Samsung's DNSe with lots of different sound enhancements should keep you very happy. The sync port is the same as the ones on Samsung's cellphones so it shouldn't be a problem to find replacement cables. Battery life is stated as 35hours for music and 5hours for video playback. From my mixed usage of videos/music it lasted me about 25hours on a full charge. With bluetooth on, expect a much shorter battery life about >60% less. The video playback is superb and I really have nothing to complain about it. However I will complain about the laggy and unresponsive interface. I hope Samsung fixes this problem with the new firmware updates coming out soon, which also will include games upon other bonus features. The media manager that comes with it is really horrid, one of the worst I have ever used. The only reason to use it is to convert videos not in the WMV9 spec(with 480x272 res). But other than the horribly slow conversion process of videos there is absolutely no reason to use the manager. You can just easily drag and drop your music directly into the Music folder within the P2. It also supports multiple folders deep organization. The user interface within the P2 is absolutely perfect when it is not lagging (occasionally, about 5% of the time). Anyways this is getting a bit boring and long so I'm going to stop here, if I missed something ask or tell me. p.s. I will try to get pictures up within a weeks time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back