Samsung P2 VS Cowon D2 vs iAudio 7
May 10, 2008 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure which of these three players to go for, since I haven't heard the P2 and D2.

I listen to a wide variety of music, from Salsa to classic to Hip Hop, and I prefer a "vivid", "lively" sound, and will be using whichever player I get with UE Superfi 5's. As a reference, I absolutely love the sound quality of my H320 and Sansa clip.

The touchscreen interface and video playback are nice-to-haves, but not completely necessary unlike good sound quality. Storage space is also an issue, since the 8GB P2 is the most expensive of the group, with the 16GB iA7 being the cheapest one. I watch the occasional video, and the bluetooth function of the P2 would be quiet handy so I don't have to have both my phone and my MP3 player in the same pocket.

Also, which one is reliable? Reading some stuff at iAudiophile, it seems the D2 can be very buggy, especially the firmware upgrades which are confusing as hell to understand. The P2 has been getting very good firmware upgrades which have added heaps of tempting features on it, and the iA7 seems to be quiet maturely developed already...

May 11, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 30
I have the D2 and do not agree that it is buggy. The iaudio7 seems alright and the D2 has an extra sd card memory slot. The P2 seems like it is built on top of the D2 features, so if you are using it to watch video, i'd take the p2 over the d2 because of the screensize and features. However it's a bit big.

Something that has hit me is that, when I normally buy something and get it, I usually wonder what other choices I could've taken and if they were any better. With the D2, this has not happened and i'm totally pleased with it.

Happy hunting

May 11, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 30
I canceled my 8GB D2 order, and will probably wait for the 16GB. However, I heard that the 16GB won't arrive in Australia till July-August.

I wonder if it'll be available soon in HK, since I'm heading there some time soon.

May 11, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 30
ive got the 4gb and probably buying an 8gb soon. You might be better off investing in an sd card, prices are improving very fast. MSY has the 8gb for $35

May 11, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 30
May 11, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 30
Lol its up to you but that deal looks pretty good. I bought my D2 last year for $300+30 for 4gb

May 11, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 30
Just sent out an email to see if they could reinstate my order.

I feel like an idiot.....but 24GB (8 + 16) of music should be quiet adequate to keep me entertained on my flight.

EDIT: Should I get the iA7 16GB? Which one sounds better?

May 11, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 30
Are you talking about the headfi ad coz its 4+16 :S.
Nevertheless, a 16gb sd card runs for about $75-100 meaning the 4gb D2 only costs ya about $150-180.

20gb is heaps =p

May 11, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 30
Not when I put videos in...=P

I just hope they can ship it out to me in time. I have to leave really soon next week, and the last thing I want is to be inside a flying tin can listening to crying babies instead of sweet music...

If they can't ship out the D2 in time, I'll go with the iA7 16G.

May 12, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #14 of 30
How does the E2c compare with the er6 and ue sf 5?
Which one is better?

May 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 30
Superfi5 is like a richer, fuller sounding version of the E2C, very good for lively music e.g. Salsa, Hip-Hop. However, I try to use it with an amp when I'm home since it seems to block out some of the little but important details without one.

ER6 is a very different beast. Very clean, some would say cold sound. I think it works well with classical and opera music though, even without the amp.

Oh, and I think I'll stick to the 8GB D2. Just CF-modded my H320 with a 1GB card and it works well, so I'm going to get a 32GB CF card once prices drop down a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back