Samsung P2 - no OGG? Navigation
Nov 5, 2007 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ULUL

100+ Head-Fier
Conflicting info. Preannounced spec said OGG. Current reviews said NO OGG and really, quite limited formats. Which is it?

Also, during navigation of a music/video in play, can you just touch a specific spot on the progress bar and jump there immediately such as Cowon D2 allows?

Thanks,
UL

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 7
I haven't tried OGG yet but i think you can use it out of the box, because the software's options gives you an option to convert CD to OGG. The seeking method you mentioned works on the P2, it just takes a moment or two for really large files (700MB). For small files it is immediate.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 7
Greetings! Thanks. Are you sure? If yes, and if it will play avi files, I may not open my other Cowon D2 and sell it off to be replaced by the Samsung instead as I want a larger screen. Just wish the P2 had ability to take expansion cards like the D2.

UL

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ULUL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings! Thanks. Are you sure? If yes, and if it will play avi files, I may not open my other Cowon D2 and sell it off to be replaced by the Samsung instead as I want a larger screen. Just wish the P2 had ability to take expansion cards like the D2.

UL

Yes it plays .avi files, but you are forced to convert them to the P2's specs and use the .svi container (which is really just .avi by Samsung). The conversion can be done by the included media manager from Samsung. Like I said I haven't tried OGG yet since I don't normally use OGG (but plan to), but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. And yes I wish it had an SD slot too or at least came in 16GB variant but same price as 8GB and 8GB will be current 4GB's price. Even better would be Wi-Fi but thats getting a bit wishful. But really an expansion slot would have been great.

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for helping me out. Really appreciate it. My comment on OGG was based on various web reviewers who criticize Samsung for the file limitations. My concern about having to convert using Samsung's software is:
1. Speed of conversion.
2. Whether the converted avi will play in other future DAPs.

Not asking you to find out - just some comments. Again, thanks!

I really like the Samsung's screen size and resolution - that's the ONLY selling point for me on that unit compared to the Cowon D2. I don't care for bluetooth capability either way.

Oh and yes, 16Gb would have been just great - 8Gb is still very limiting. Just my Bible audio tracks will take up 3 Gb of the permanent storage. With a 8 Gb Cowon D2, I can add a 16Gb card and get 24 Gb total! Now, that's some serious space compared to Samsung's 8Gb.

UL

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 7
It does not recognize ogg.

I haven't tried the D2 so I can't really comment on this feature that you mention

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 7
The P2 recognises ogg without a problem. The latest firmware supports it, because I have tons of ogg files that play without any problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back