Samsung Note 8 vs LG V30
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #16 of 19
Curious about this as well, I remember finding the DFR to be slightly better the V10.

When you say "slightly better" what part of the sound are you referring to? The difference between the v10 and v20 was fairly significant. The v20 is much more neutral than the v10 which had a pleasant, but warm tone. I'm not sure how the v30 sounds, but I would expect it to be closer to the v20 with the ability to add warmth through its filters.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #17 of 19
What should be better, LG V30 or DragonFly Red?

Well I'm just returning a Sony ZX300 (£600 DAP) because I think the DFR sounds better. Only ones I've used better than a DFR are Mojo/Hugo2. Drives my 9 ohm SE846 IEM's and 150 Ohm HD660S headphones perfectly. I just use the DFR with whichever smartphone I like. I'd only upgrade to the V30 myself for added convenience, not expecting it to sound better than a DFR.

Its also great connected to a PC and even plays MQA Master audio via Tidal.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #18 of 19
When you say "slightly better" what part of the sound are you referring to? The difference between the v10 and v20 was fairly significant. The v20 is much more neutral than the v10 which had a pleasant, but warm tone. I'm not sure how the v30 sounds, but I would expect it to be closer to the v20 with the ability to add warmth through its filters.
I found the DFR to be on the brighter side of neutral, but sometimes the treble was a tad brittle in comparison. I did have the same impressions of the V10 the last time I tried it and personally considered the DFR to have more versatile pairings with my gear.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #19 of 19
I found the DFR to be on the brighter side of neutral, but sometimes the treble was a tad brittle in comparison. I did have the same impressions of the V10 the last time I tried it and personally considered the DFR to have more versatile pairings with my gear.

In that case I think you might be pleased with the sound from the V20 and v30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back