Samsung Note 4 (Snapdragon - USA version) with Westone UM Pro50
Dec 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Gurashieruro

500+ Head-Fier
Starting off, my question is this:

"Would I need an AMP for my phone to use these headphones or would I be better off with a DAC+AMP?"

---------------------------

According to PhoneArena and some forum posts here, the Note 4 has a output voltage of .41V with an output impedance of .6557 ohms. That being said, I use PowerAmp on my Note 4 and the sound, IMO (though I'm still a novice), is quite good. Meanwhile, the HTC One M8 is still king. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 3
Westone IEMs are VERY efficient at 115 dB/mW and the impedance is also fairly reasonable at 45 Ohms. I would say an amp is not required, but it might be interesting to try it. The bottom line is: Are you happy with how they sound now? If so, then don't worry about it and be happy. OTOH, if your curiosity is going to bug you, then get an inexpensive amp and try it. On the difference between an amp vs a DAC/amp - you do know that the Android device and the amp need to support an OTG connection, correct? Does the Note 4 support that?

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 3
Westone IEMs are VERY efficient at 115 dB/mW and the impedance is also fairly reasonable at 45 Ohms. I would say an amp is not required, but it might be interesting to try it. The bottom line is: Are you happy with how they sound now? If so, then don't worry about it and be happy. OTOH, if your curiosity is going to bug you, then get an inexpensive amp and try it. On the difference between an amp vs a DAC/amp - you do know that the Android device and the amp need to support an OTG connection, correct? Does the Note 4 support that?

I actually am waiting for it to show up in the mail. I should get it on Tuesday. That being said, I wanted to make sure that my phone will have enough voltage to push these IEMs enough to sound how they are supposed to. If I am correct, Note 4, like the other Samsung flagship, support OTG. Regardless, I do like the sound of the chip inside. For once, the Snapdragon sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back