Samsung iconx 2018 thread.
Nov 14, 2017 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

david8613

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I wanted to start a separate thread so not to clutter up the sony wf 1000x thread. I also want to put it out there the samsung iconx 2018 are pretty awesome, im very happy with them. Great sound, stable bluetooth connection, great controls, features, battery life, on board memory, very comfortable, I can go on and on. This newer model is a great upgrade compared to the prior samsung iconx. I would love to hear others experiences with this model, or if maybe your thinking of getting it and what's holding you back.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 16
Please see below my quick and dirty pros and cons on this headset. I really believe these are the best on the street right now, I have been using them extensively for the past 2 weeks and the sound quality has smoothed out more. I have also noticed that when I receive calls it announces the persons name if its in your contacts and you also hear the person your speaking to in both ear buds, not in just one ear bud, pretty cool. I don't think many if not any have that feature! everyone I spoke to said I sounded perfectly clear to them, and they sounded clear to me also I did this outside, indoors, even at a busy Walmart. I really believe this headset is a sleeper hit and you don't hear much about them because there is not much to complain about them, I think Samsung nailed it! I hope this helps some to try them, they are pretty nice in my opinion.

Samsung iconx 2018
pros:
Solid Bluetooth connection.
sweat proof.
4gb on board memory.
Long battery life 5 hours streaming, 7 hours using on board memory some times a little longer depending on volume and features used.
usb c charging case which has a quick charge feature, 15mins in charging case gives you 1 full hour play time.
Touch controls are awesome very functional, you can do everything even control volume but it is a bit of a learning curve which is not bad, just practice and you will get it.
charging case is very small.
Voice coaching is fun and works.
They look very durable.
Activating Google assistant works.
Calls are great very clear and in stereo, sound from both buds.
Sound is very good but I believe it could sound better, I think original iconx sound signature was a little better to me, last years was more v shaped this year its more flat with emphasis on high mids and highs. the more I am using them they seem to be smoothing out.
ambient sound works really well, even in a crowded mall I could hear the cashier perfectly fine with music paused of course.

Cons:
Ai voice for headphone is too loud to me.
I wish the charging case held more than one charge, for example the jam ultra case holds 10 charges not that much bigger case.
The buds feel bigger than the originals but from what i understand the 2018s are supposed to be smaller, doesn't feel like it to me, but they are still comfortable.
no blue lights on the buds, I wish the had some fancy lights.
I wish when you pause the music it would automatically turn on ambient sound.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 16
I have the QCY29 Pro's which are considerably cheaper than the Samsung and Sony models. When I first tried them they suffered from the usual dropouts where the left bud loses contact with the right for a split second which spoilt the overall experience but a recent minor update to my phone has improved the performance of my bluetooth headphones - including the Q29's. There's still the occasional dropout but it's nowhere near as bad as it was.

I also noticed that when I unpaired and re-paired the Q29's they became a lot more stable. I've also noticed this with other bluetooth headphones in my collection - perhaps this is worth trying if you're experiencing dropouts.

I love the idea of fully wireless earbuds - they're really quite liberating. The Q29 Pros have a pleasant unfatiguing sound but they're definitely a compromise when compared with bluetooth headphones with a wire connecting the two drivers, I'm hoping that one of the Chinese companies who make these remarkably inexpensive headphones can make a pair of genuinely wireless headphones with a good solid stable connection, APTx, use balanced armatures (or perhaps even a hybrid mix) and good battery life - for under £50.

I must admit I'm tempted to try the 2018 Icon X model but I can't help thinking that something better is just around the corner.
20170909_092310.jpg

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 16
I can recommend the Samsung iconx 2018 worth the money, I tried a bunch of them, and Samsung iconx 2018 and Jams Ultra had the best Bluetooth connections, I do not have any drop outs to report, I used them everywhere... although I like the Samsung more because the sound signature is better, features and the awesome touch controls especially volume.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for making this thread. Came here from the wf1000x thread. I actually still have those. Haven’t had the time to return them yet. I just put an order in for the iconx. I’ll most likely return the Sony’s tonight :frowning2: thanks for your review. I just wish the iconx’s didn’t look so cheap.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 16
in person they don't look cheap, actually they are pretty well built. heavy duty in a good way. not flimsy at all...

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 16
so how did you make out, did you start using them yet? I heard the sonys got a firmware update, but still have some problems.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 16
I can second david8613's sentiments...I really like the iconx 2018. For me, it was imperative to have on-board storage...there aren't many models out there that have it. I have the Bragi Dash and due to the BT connection issues, they are unusable outdoors with BT. I will say I haven't been as lucky as david8613 with no connectivity issues with the iconx 2018. When using BT connecting to my Galaxy S8 outdoors, I experience periodic cutouts but not NEARLY as many as with the Dash. It does matter where I place my phone (the connection issues seem to be less frequent when i place my phone in my right pocket). I can also add that the Comply Truly Wireless tips work for me. I know david8613 mentioned they didn't work so great for him. For me, they fit and they provide a great seal.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #11 of 16
They sound just a bit harsh to me :/
Hoping the comply tips help me get a better fit but so far barely any connection hitches.
I've had 2 over 2 days using them a fair bit and it's not even for a second.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 16
I´ve went through many true wireless earbuds lately; Beoplay E8, Apple AirPods Jabra Elite Sport 2017, Sony WF-1000X and the Gear IconX 2018 are my favourites so far. The reasons are really good fit for my ears, good battery life, great sound and my favourite part which is that I can use either earbud by itself unlike all the others I've tried except the AirPods. I prefer sound in my left ear and most of the headsets have the right one as the master for connecting to devices.

But I have an issue when using them with Skype for Business on my Windows 10 work laptop. It works seemingly fine for about two minutes until it crashes Skype completely, I have two work laptops and the same is happening with both. Does anyone else have experience with the IconX 2018 and Skype for Business?

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 16
I´ve went through many true wireless earbuds lately; Beoplay E8, Apple AirPods Jabra Elite Sport 2017, Sony WF-1000X and the Gear IconX 2018 are my favourites so far. The reasons are really good fit for my ears, good battery life, great sound and my favourite part which is that I can use either earbud by itself unlike all the others I've tried except the AirPods. I prefer sound in my left ear and most of the headsets have the right one as the master for connecting to devices.

But I have an issue when using them with Skype for Business on my Windows 10 work laptop. It works seemingly fine for about two minutes until it crashes Skype completely, I have two work laptops and the same is happening with both. Does anyone else have experience with the IconX 2018 and Skype for Business?

I was thinking of trying the elite sport because of the HRM, what did you not like about it? :)

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 16
I was thinking of trying the elite sport because of the HRM, what did you not like about it? :)

It just wasn't comfortable for my ears, I tried the two wingtips it came with and without a wingtip but my ears got sore after a short while as in 20 minutes when using them because of the design of the housing. I had no trouble getting good seal with the eartips though.

On a positive note they have som great fitness features, the build quality is nice, battery life and sound quality was good and they worked well for taking phone calls. As I mentioned I love the option of using the left earbud by itself and that was not possible with the Jabra´s as the right earbud is the master and the left the slave. So that's the main reason I ended up with the IconX 2018.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 16
It just wasn't comfortable for my ears, I tried the two wingtips it came with and without a wingtip but my ears got sore after a short while as in 20 minutes when using them because of the design of the housing. I had no trouble getting good seal with the eartips though.

On a positive note they have som great fitness features, the build quality is nice, battery life and sound quality was good and they worked well for taking phone calls. As I mentioned I love the option of using the left earbud by itself and that was not possible with the Jabra´s as the right earbud is the master and the left the slave. So that's the main reason I ended up with the IconX 2018.

It's sounding quite harsh to me :/
What was your favourite in terms of sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back