samsung i9100 galaxys 2
Jun 8, 2011 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

varunkumar

New Head-Fier
I just got a samsung galaxy s2. Apparently It has Yamaha DAC and it produces Noise due to some design flaw. I want to buy some external component to filter the noise and amplify the sound. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 9
You think that's a software problem or hardware problem? I've heard if you'd upgrade your audio software, the phone would sound better. Can you please update us with your experience? Thanx!

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 9
No. They say it's a hardware fault. Supercurio in XDA forums is the guy who confirmed this. I don't really know how good he is in the hardware department. But he was the guy who gave fix for samsung captivate's low volume. For captivate it was enough to boost the sound. basically volume was low. But galaxy s 2 has some noise already if you boost the sound noise boosted as well so you hear a lot of noise. i9100 was expected to have Wolfson audio chip but now they say it has a yamaha chip. I strongly feel it some software problem and not any hardware. I don't believe samsung would put some audio chip for their flagship device. 

I you heard someone saying its a software problem where is it?? Who is it ?? 
Let me know. Thanks.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I just got a samsung galaxy s2. Apparently It has Yamaha DAC and it produces Noise due to some design flaw. I want to buy some external component to filter the noise and amplify the sound. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Have you had a chance to look into Voodoo Control Plus and Wolfson WM-8994 codec? I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone (Fascinate) loaded with Android 2.21, phone is rooted, with Voodoo Control Plus and Neutron Audio player. The Voodoo app has a headphone boost, negating the need for an external amp. Works unbelievably well and sound quality as good as anything out there, IMHO.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 9
The Galaxy S has a much better DAC (Wolfson) than the Galaxy S2 (Yamaha)....

I was thinking about maybe trying to get a digital audio signal from the SGS2 hdmi out and feeding that into a DAC/AMP.... unfortunately, at the moment the funds for such a project are lacking...

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 9
one thing i appreciate about the samsung galaxy s2/android platform is that, with the poweramp player, i have a portable source than can play FLAC *and* ALAC. of course lossless audio doesn't really sound great out of a tiny phone jack ... i had a similar idea to coop but more along the lines of using a USB OTG cable to emulate a host connection to a DAC/AMP to see if it would detect it as an audio output. hooking up something like a Predator to the SG2 would be a definite improvement :wink:

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
one thing i appreciate about the samsung galaxy s2/android platform is that, with the poweramp player, i have a portable source than can play FLAC *and* ALAC. of course lossless audio doesn't really sound great out of a tiny phone jack ... i had a similar idea to coop but more along the lines of using a USB OTG cable to emulate a host connection to a DAC/AMP to see if it would detect it as an audio output. hooking up something like a Predator to the SG2 would be a definite improvement :wink:

Please tell us if you get good results- I want to buy the s2, so I want to know if you can use the OTG cable to output digital audio to extranal dac.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 9

Yes, you right.I used to have S but not anymore, so i can't compare the sound.But with my Westone 4 FLAC was amazing.I am waitning for S3 to come out, i heard around september/octomber that's when my birthday will be.Or maybe will be a S2+ with HD Super Amoled Plus...But we need Wolfsen DAC like in original Galaxy.
Quote:
The Galaxy S has a much better DAC (Wolfson) than the Galaxy S2 (Yamaha)....

I was thinking about maybe trying to get a digital audio signal from the SGS2 hdmi out and feeding that into a DAC/AMP.... unfortunately, at the moment the funds for such a project are lacking...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back