Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
May 18, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #451 of 704
To all complaining about volume levels:

Install Poweramp V3 Alpha 703. I am not a technical man so don't exactly know how they achieve it but now i listen to volume at less than half. In comparison, I used to listen close to max volume before. SQ is great too.

I don't exactly know what the Hi-Res Audio thing is inside the app but does seem to increase SQ by a bit.

May 19, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #452 of 704
Here Is my Opinon:

Coming from an HTC One m8, Iphone 4...

The Galaxy S7 Exynos with the Lucky CS47L91 Soundchip sounds a bit Dark, I have to reduce the Lowend at 100-600 a bit, to make it Airy otherwise it really can sound muffled and lifeless.

The S7 is a Warm Phone, it has emphasized the Lowend more, than the Upperside, so it is really Good for HipHop, I Think.

For me, I dont like the Sound, SO I have an App Onkyo, its really Audiophile APP, where u can configure the Equalizer. The S7 is really nice to handle with an Equalizer, u can get what u want!

But In Comaprison with HTC One M8 and Iphone 4, it definetly Lacks in Details in the Mids and Highs!

Where the Vocals whispers in ur Ears in M8 or Iphone, the S7 delivers it a bit far away and does not present ALL Details of the Vocals.

Im really Dissappointed that Nowadays such a Great Phone Like S7, which got really Low Volume. For Me I Love really Loud Music, M8 really spoiled me and showed me how u can get Clean Loud Volume, I was shocked when I listened to the S7 in FULL Volume!

I really Hope S8, will get much better,

Samsung did his Own Audio Chip latetly, it will hopefully be better in the next Generation.

A more Neutral Sounding, with more Details in the Mids and Highs with Low Impedance Output, that Would really be a Deal Breaker and they would join the Audiophile Market easily!

Waiting for the Galaxy S8 Now, I hope Samsung will not Sleep and will get a better Audio Chip!

Its such a Great Phone, I LOVE IT so much, always when I Open the Phone, I Enjoy the Design, Speed, FUnctionality, never got such a Beautiful Phone!!!

The Only Problem is the Sound, the Rest of the Phone is really unbelievable Awesome!

May 19, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #453 of 704
Here Is my Opinon:

Coming from an HTC One m8, Iphone 4...

The Galaxy S7 Exynos with the Lucky CS47L91 Soundchip sounds a bit Dark, I have to reduce the Lowend at 100-600 a bit, to make it Airy otherwise it really can sound muffled and lifeless.

The S7 is a Warm Phone, it has emphasized the Lowend more, than the Upperside, so it is really Good for HipHop, I Think.

For me, I dont like the Sound, SO I have an App Onkyo, its really Audiophile APP, where u can configure the Equalizer. The S7 is really nice to handle with an Equalizer, u can get what u want!

But In Comaprison with HTC One M8 and Iphone 4, it definetly Lacks in Details in the Mids and Highs!

Where the Vocals whispers in ur Ears in M8 or Iphone, the S7 delivers it a bit far away and does not present ALL Details of the Vocals.

Im really Dissappointed that Nowadays such a Great Phone Like S7, which got really Low Volume. For Me I Love really Loud Music, M8 really spoiled me and showed me how u can get Clean Loud Volume, I was shocked when I listened to the S7 in FULL Volume!

I really Hope S8, will get much better,

Samsung did his Own Audio Chip latetly, it will hopefully be better in the next Generation.

A more Neutral Sounding, with more Details in the Mids and Highs with Low Impedance Output, that Would really be a Deal Breaker and they would join the Audiophile Market easily!

Waiting for the Galaxy S8 Now, I hope Samsung will not Sleep and will get a better Audio Chip!

Its such a Great Phone, I LOVE IT so much, always when I Open the Phone, I Enjoy the Design, Speed, FUnctionality, never got such a Beautiful Phone!!!

The Only Problem is the Sound, the Rest of the Phone is really unbelievable Awesome!

Is your phone EU volume capped?

May 19, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #454 of 704
Hello all!

I’m planning to buy the Samsung Galaxy S7. I’m going to mostly have it connect to my Mojo and have many many questions. Maybe you can help me a bit.

First I live in Sweden, does it mean that I will get a Samsung Galaxy S7 that has the Exynos chip?

I read about something called PowerAmp Alpha. What does it and do I need one for good sound?

Also does the PowerAmp Alpha change the max output volume?

I don’t like upscaling sound, can I turn off the UHQ Upscaler also when feeding the Mojo?

I read that some ppl are using UAPP. What does it and can it be used together with PowerAmp Alpha?

Does S7 work with Tidal Hifi then connected to Mojo? On the Mojo homepage is says no.

If playing files from the S7 which program sounds best?

Anything else I should know?

TIA

May 19, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #455 of 704

First I live in Sweden, does it mean that I will get a Samsung Galaxy S7 that has the Exynos chip?

Yes.

I read about something called PowerAmp Alpha. What does it and do I need one for good sound?

Its a third party music player, it does costs some money but it has a great eq and even better features. You can download the alpha version of Poweramp forums
It enhances the volume using pre-amp.. dont know HOW it works but it does increases the volume significantly 

May 19, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #456 of 704
  Hello all!

I’m planning to buy the Samsung Galaxy S7. I’m going to mostly have it connect to my Mojo and have many many questions. Maybe you can help me a bit.

I don’t like upscaling sound, can I turn off the UHQ Upscaler also when feeding the Mojo?

I read that some ppl are using UAPP. What does it and can it be used together with PowerAmp Alpha?

Does S7 work with Tidal Hifi then connected to Mojo? On the Mojo homepage is says no.

If playing files from the S7 which program sounds best?

Anything else I should know?

TIA

Yes Its an Exynos only USA an China has the S820 qualcom.

Poweramp Alpha is an Audioplayer software, it boosts the sound some how and enables more options (repordly better sound than most other apps)

yes upscaling, adaptive sound etc. can be turned off

uapp is an alternative app to poweramp

don´t have an mojo or tidal so can´t comment on that

I use PowerAmp, got it recommendet a while ago, haven´t tested the others as i was happy with PowerAmp Alpha.

Maybe that the sound Straight out of the headphone jack isn´t the best, even my 50€ xduoo X2 Sounds better imo, at least with my gear/music.

May 19, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #457 of 704

Yes Its an Exynos only USA an China has the S820 qualcom.

Poweramp Alpha is an Audioplayer software, it boosts the sound some how and enables more options (repordly better sound than most other apps)

yes upscaling, adaptive sound etc. can be turned off

uapp is an alternative app to poweramp

don´t have an mojo or tidal so can´t comment on that

I use PowerAmp, got it recommendet a while ago, haven´t tested the others as i was happy with PowerAmp Alpha.

Maybe that the sound Straight out of the headphone jack isn´t the best, even my 50€ xduoo X2 Sounds better imo, at least with my gear/music.

Does the S7 sound good as a transport connected to your IFi iDSD Nano?

May 19, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #458 of 704
Is your phone EU volume capped?
Is there a confirmed volume cap? (mine goes plenty loud enough!)...

As to the originally quoted post about this sounding dark, I would personally strongly disagree, not unless previous poster has some very "crisp" equipment...

May 20, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #461 of 704
I dont know,do tthe European Models got Volume Cap?

All european audio products including smartphones with bundled earphones should have EU Volume Cap (EU Volume cap 80db tested with bundled earphones). So if the included earphones has high impedance then 80db cap with bundled earphones can sound louder with 20 ohm earphones. (Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong)

This is the case with iphone. iphone's bundled earpods has 43 ohm impedance and hence if I listen with typical 16 ohm earphones I feel EU iphone is louder than other phones

Thats my thought though

May 20, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #462 of 704
Well I had a chance yesterday to get my hands on S7 and to be honest I think it is still a little too big for me... I didn't have my reference IEMs with me (Audeo w/ grey filters & TDK IE800) so I didn't give this Cirrus DAC a go, but despite the fact that I have quite big hands it is not perfect for 1-hand use. I checked the Samsung A3 (2016) and it was perfect in terms of size (similary to my LG L90) but it has sh** hardware sadly...
Samsung Galaxy Alpha (one with Wolfson chip) would be perfect for me if only it had microSD slot... same with Sony Xperia Z3/5 compact... if only they had Sony's DAC+amp...
I thought S7 with it's 142x70mm would be perfect and the only thing I have to do is to give it's Cirrus DAC a go and check if it suits me in terms of SQ... But I'd like it to be smaller :/

May 21, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #464 of 704
Do you guys use the extra pre amp function in poweramp? If you do how many dB have you elevate it?

May 21, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #465 of 704
My short review of the S7 Exynos after 2 months of use with a pair of Sennheiser IE80s:
- Highs are a bit too harsh.
- Soundstage sounds messy.
- Low end is sufficiently powerful but lacks definition and detail. 
- Vocals sound a bit distant and lack detail
- Most instruments, on the other hand, sound pretty okay
- Volume is comparable to my old Nexus 5, not very loud, so I usually listen at about 60-75% volume.
- The biggest issue is the amount of BACKGROUND NOISE in silent stages of songs. This problem is less apparent when I turn the UHQ upscaler (which messes up the SQ even more) option on.
- I also found it necessary to turn Adapt Sound on to get the dynamics up to standards with my Nexus 5. Looks like Samsung messed up the audio on purpose to force users to turn on Adapt sound. 

All abovementioned points are based on a comparison with a Nexus 5 phone which I have used for 2 years. I only play music through Spotify Premium with sound quality set to extreme. 
Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the audio performance of the S7. This should've been much better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back