Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Mar 30, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #316 of 704
Little update. It still doesn't compare to DSD's played directly out of the Mojo (White power ball) but it is really good. More than happy with this for "Out & About" so Mojo really is only for home use now as less bulk to carry around, longer lasting battery and like to use my inline music controls directly out from phone (can't do out of Mojo).

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #317 of 704
My experience, i have the mojo and the sy edge plus, its day and night difference adding the mojo, however... I also have the cayin c5 and dabre android dac and I went to the mojo after using these.

My headphones are v moda crossfade wireless, psb m4u2 and sony ex650.

I only have mp3 files and used uapp for playback. There is ZERO sound difference between my c5 with sabre android and the mojo. Ive posted alot in the mojo thread about my experience. I was convinced i was doing something wrong.

No doubt the product is as good as people say but make sure you have the hardware and software to get the benefit out of it. My c5 amp and sabre android dac is exactly the same with my mp3's and headphones.

When my music files are flac and my IEM's or headphones are high end I will revisit mojo.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #319 of 704
My experience, i have the mojo and the sy edge plus, its day and night difference adding the mojo, however... I also have the cayin c5 and dabre android dac and I went to the mojo after using these.

My headphones are v moda crossfade wireless, psb m4u2 and sony ex650.

I only have mp3 files and used uapp for playback. There is ZERO sound difference between my c5 with sabre android and the mojo. Ive posted alot in the mojo thread about my experience. I was convinced i was doing something wrong.

No doubt the product is as good as people say but make sure you have the hardware and software to get the benefit out of it. My c5 amp and sabre android dac is exactly the same with my mp3's and headphones.

When my music files are flac and my IEM's or headphones are high end I will revisit mojo.

If you use full sized cans it would be day and night, iems, not really. Because if it sounds louder it will sound better.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #320 of 704
If you use full sized cans it would be day and night, iems, not really. Because if it sounds louder it will sound better.
yes, tried both. My sabre android dac and c5 amp sounds identical to the mojo whether I use IEM's or over ears. You need high quality files and high quality listening gear. The mojo is £400 in uk, my sabre android dac and cayin c5 cost £140... the mojo is going back to the shop on friday, zero sound quality difference. That's ok though cos my initial setup does sound decent. If your coming to the mojo from only using a phone then yes, day and night, it will seem awesome. From my set up due to my mp3 files and average headphones, zero difference. I would advise anyone who has a decent portable set up already to put the £400 into a high quality IEM or headphone. Already have the file quality and headphones to match? Try the mojo.

Not knocking the mojo in anyway just my audio gear.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #321 of 704
yes, tried both. My sabre android dac and c5 amp sounds identical to the mojo whether I use IEM's or over ears. You need high quality files and high quality listening gear. The mojo is £400 in uk, my sabre android dac and cayin c5 cost £140... the mojo is going back to the shop on friday, zero sound quality difference. That's ok though cos my initial setup does sound decent. If your coming to the mojo from only using a phone then yes, day and night, it will seem awesome. From my set up due to my mp3 files and average headphones, zero difference. I would advise anyone who has a decent portable set up already to put the £400 into a high quality IEM or headphone. Already have the file quality and headphones to match? Try the mojo.

Not knocking the mojo in anyway just my audio gear.

I think the mojo is pretty overrated and too expensive. The Fiio E17K costs 1/4 the price of the mojo and it sounds just as good, at least the difference is not day and night.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #323 of 704
what phones you using?

Used both on my pc. I returned the mojo after using it for a while because the first few seconds of a song kept getting skipped, and buggy asio drivers. Later bought an e17k after reading brooko's review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e17k-alpen-2-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier/reviews/15014

imo difference between them is not day and night. Mojo is good if you want a ton of power in quite a small package and want to go out and blow your ears out with full sized cans. I'm not into doing that outside though and prefer IEMs which are also more portable.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #324 of 704

Its easier to swipe about and I have no issue with it, but if they had made the standard S7 at 5.5" with larger battery & would have chosen that instead.

Coming from 5.1" S6 & 5.7" Note 4 phones I'm finding the 5.5" S7 Edge to be the perfect combination. Great size screen without having a phone that feels too big/heavy. I've always been fond of the Apple iPhone 5S design/size but a smartphone has many features these days that needs a larger screen to make the most of. The Note 4 was just a bit too big for me and I never used the pen.

The extra cost is getting the bigger screen & bigger battery, not just for the curves.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #325 of 704

I think he meant what IEM's or Headphones you using. With sub £300 IEMS/Headphones I don't think you will notice a massive difference. Jump to Noble K10/JH/SE846's or high-end headphones with Native DSD music out of the Mojo and you will (or Hi-def FLAC)

If your mostly listening to mps3's/Spotify then likely not worth buying unless you need more power to drive demanding headphones (and there are cheaper options if you just want an Amp).

Also, no skipping with JRiver MediaCenter & Mojo drivers. Was more an issue with free Foobar program I believe. Once JRiver on PC set correctly with DSD options, sounds stunning and Identical to audio out of an Android Phone via UAPP when outputting at correct bit rate/frequency (IE. not Android upscaling).

One I'm looking to try when released is the small new AudioQuest Dragonfly Red. I did have the previous Dragonfly but that was replaced with an Oppo HA-2 then that with a Mojo.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #326 of 704
  Just installed the new PowerAmp Alpha 2 build and "Direct Volume Control" works now with the S7 without having a low volume. Don't need the Gain set now. Also I'm not sure if its this fix or the new "Hi-Res Output (Experimental)" - UHQA PCM 24-bit 192kHz that has made the difference but it sounds even better now.

So glad I was pointed to this App, like everything about it. Anyone else tried the latest version, especially on the S7 ?  With the new Experimental Output setting I can select 44/48/96/192 but doesn't seem to change based on the track. Currently have set to 24/192.

I'm starting to think I don't need to use my Mojo
blink.gif
  To early yet but I'm starting to think its next best thing I've heard to a Mojo/ZX2 with my SE846's !!  Even though it implies its using the Samsung UHQA I'm not getting any background noise like I do if I use the UHQ Upscaler Setting. No idea what Magic this Apps using but its good.

The previous version also wouldn't play back one of my DSD Albums I got as a freebee with my Mojo (.dsf files) but will now. I got a copy of this Album in DSD64 (1.54GB), DSD128 (3.09GB) & DSD256 (6.19GB). PowerAmp Alpha 2 will play the DSD64 & DSD128 files but not the DSD256 (UAPP player will) but no big lose as I can't discern the difference from DSD64 anyway and who really wants one Album at 6GB on their phone !!. 

Are you using the SD version or the Eq?

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #330 of 704

I think the mojo is pretty overrated and too expensive. The Fiio E17K costs 1/4 the price of the mojo and it sounds just as good, at least the difference is not day and night.

E17 DEFINITELY doesn't sound as good as the Mojo.  In fact, no Fiio product comes closed. The best portable amp/dac's from Fiio don't sound that much different than an old iPhone 4S headphone output, and that's with higher end headphones like T1's, HD650's, K701's, etc.  Of course it gets louder than a phone, but in terms of pure sound quality, not worth buying. Mojo is a different story. It sounds as good as desktop solutions for the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back