Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Mar 22, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #286 of 704
I've got a $100+ silver cable connecting my S7 Edge to my dac/amp. Does it make an improvement over the generic amazon cable I was using? Slightly. Would I consider it good value and recommend it to everyone? No, not unless they were looking to squeeze out every last bit of performance from their flagship dac/amp and were willing to spend extra for it.

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #287 of 704
Just a couple

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/when-are-expensive-cables-worth-it/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10827699/Crossed-wires-are-expensive-cables-a-waste-of-money.html

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #289 of 704
Just a couple

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/when-are-expensive-cables-worth-it/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10827699/Crossed-wires-are-expensive-cables-a-waste-of-money.html

Sorry but consumer reports are not how I decide what my ears can hear.

HDMI cables don't sound different?

Talk to Audioquest who specializes in that very subject.

"USB cable is a dumb tube"...

I trust this moron immediately.

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #290 of 704
If setup correctly the original music data is just passed to the Mojo as 0s & 1s. No DtoA conversion or scalling or amplification.

If you use a standard Android App for example, Android will scale to 48/192 irrespective of original music bit depth/frequency and Mojo will always shows colour at purple where as an untouched mp3 file would show as Red for say 44Khz and untouched DSD'S as white.

When I first set JRIVER up on PC single sampled DSD'S were showing as violet (768kHz) rather than White and just sounded lacking compared to DSD playback via Android UAPP app. Then set the DSD options correctly in JRiver and immediate improvement finally sounding identical to DSD out of Android with UAPP app.

Just because the Mojo sounds the same with DSD irrespective of transport used does not mean all DAC's sound the same irrespective of transport used. I haven't heard the Mojo with DSD as 95% of my music is 16/44 FLAC (as is most peoples). The Mojo didn't sound good to me with FLAC, I much prefer ZX2. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #292 of 704
Did my testing on s7 edge exynos and sadly audio quality via headphones are disappointing. I used audio-technica m50 and as i was afraid wolfson dac will indeed be missed by many including me. If to say short, sound is a bit tiny, small soundstage and hights are a bit harsh. Even my old galaxy s3 delivers a better sound. Il give it some more try the next days, but most probably il return to 6edge plus.

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #294 of 704
I have decided to sell my V10 because I really need the dual sim capability.

I spoke with the Huawei Sales guy last week and he could tell me that all internal components, incl. the sound chip, of the P9 will be improved. See also my previous posts on the Huawei self made sound chip. Knowing how good the Mate 8 is I am already sold.

I think I will wait for the P9 Max and see if it can deliver on its promises.

Good Sound.
Great camera
Pressure sensitive screen
Kirin 955 CPU
3900 mah battery
DUAL SIM with global LTE support
Chinese version comes with 128GB internal memory

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #295 of 704
So, I've had my s7 for a few days now, and I can't seem to get the USB audio out to work with my FIIO E18. Has anyone else had issues with getting USB audio to work? I thought maybe my E18 was dieing, and that's not the case as it works fine everywhere else and on my old phone.

Whenever I play something through the E18 from the S7 USB, you can hear sound, but its like garbled and low. Any Ideas are appreciated.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #299 of 704
Well, it has Wolfson DAC, but it got throttled down. You can use Jet audio plus, or Powramp alpha to preamp it up to louder volume....however the other apps such as Netflix and YouTube are gimped. We need some people to develope a way to maximize it power

I thought the consensus was that the Exynos Note 4 was poor? I had the Snapdragon Note 4 which was actually great and to my ears better than the Exynos S6. Can't decide if I prefer the S7 or the Note 4, both sound good, but for detailed listening sessions it still has to be my Mojo.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #300 of 704
I thought the consensus was that the Exynos Note 4 was poor? I had the Snapdragon Note 4 which was actually great and to my ears better than the S6. Can't decide if I prefer the S7 or the Note 4, both sound good.

Stock for stock, Note 4 Snapdragon has better audio quality. Unless you use Poweramp alpha or jet audio paid version on Exynos note 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back