Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Mar 9, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #136 of 704
To be honest I'm perfectly happy with its sound quality/volume using Samsung Music App, Spotify or UAPP (for DSDs) so not going to mess with it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #137 of 704
Only thing I'd add from earlier comments is there is some faintly detectable electronics/gain type noise in complete silence between tracks with my high sensitivity SE846's. But doesn't impact on music itself.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #141 of 704
Finally have had enough time today with U.S. S7 Edge to directly compare to my S6 Edge.

Must say, being an engineer and finally hearing what you heard in the studio when you finished a mix/master is satisfying. I was not upset by the S6 sound but always thought it was just a "new" sound for everything, including obviously my mastered mixes.

I can say U.S. S7 is a faithful reproduction comparable to my Benchmark DAC2 headphone out... (not totally comparable but almost).

It is a definite upgrade from S6 accuracy-wise.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #142 of 704
I have been listening my Snapdragon S7 with a few mid/high-end earphones and mid-level headphones and sound quality seems pretty average for a phone, definitely below the LG V10. I don't know what the Exynos S7 with different dac (wolfson?) sounds like, but I think it may have a better DAC. I remember the Wolfson S3 sounding a good bit better than the Snapdragon S3.

Kind of a shame, I like the S7 in almost every other way. But even after all these years Samsung won't give high quality audio to their top smartphones. BUT I CAN'T LET GO OF THE PRETTY SCREEN! It seems like I will have to use my USB dac/amp for a long time to come.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #143 of 704
  I have been listening my Snapdragon S7 with a few mid/high-end earphones and mid-level headphones and sound quality seems pretty average for a phone, definitely below the LG V10. I don't know what the Exynos S7 with different dac (wolfson?) sounds like, but I think it may have a better DAC. I remember the Wolfson S3 sounding a good bit better than the Snapdragon S3.

Kind of a shame, I like the S7 in almost every other way. But even after all these years Samsung won't give high quality audio to their top smartphones. BUT I CAN'T LET GO OF THE PRETTY SCREEN! It seems like I will have to use my USB dac/amp for a long time to come.

You're right for this reason I did not take the S7, first wanted to implement an excellent saber dac, then they Messu a dac of dubious quality but the price remains high cell.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #144 of 704
Tested the S7 Edge here in singapore with the W60. First thing i noticed was a higher quantity of sub-bass than my s6 edge and xperia z3 compact. IMO the Mids are kind of thin sounding and Highs are less detailed when compared to my Z3 compact. I compared all 3 devices while listening to taylor swift's fearless flac. The most noticeable thing to me was with the snare drums, the xperia z3 compact had more detail and air while the s7 edge sounded rushed and artificial. But preferred the S7 edge when it came to the bass which is definitely a step up from my s6 edge and Z3 compact. That said, i think that the sound is an improvement over the s6 edge 
basshead.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #145 of 704
  Tested the S7 Edge here in singapore with the W60. First thing i noticed was a higher quantity of sub-bass than my s6 edge and xperia z3 compact. IMO the Mids are kind of thin sounding and Highs are less detailed when compared to my Z3 compact. I compared all 3 devices while listening to taylor swift's fearless flac. The most noticeable thing to me was with the snare drums, the xperia z3 compact had more detail and air while the s7 edge sounded rushed and artificial. But preferred the S7 edge when it came to the bass which is definitely a step up from my s6 edge and Z3 compact. That said, i think that the sound is an improvement over the s6 edge 
basshead.gif

Well I'm enjoying the Exynos S7 audio more than any other phone I've used (close quality to Z3 but different) and can certainly leave my Mojo at home. I'm sure as always it will vary greatly dependant on the ear/headphones you use. My DSD tracks via UAPP app sounds better than out of Z3/Z5/S6/Note 4 over headphone out yet as mentioned earlier not compared to native DSD out to my Mojo which is best I've ever heard.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #146 of 704
Well I'm enjoying the Exynos S7 audio more than any other phone I've used (close quality to Z3 but different) and can certainly leave my Mojo at home. I'm sure as always it will vary greatly dependant on the ear/headphones you use. My DSD tracks via UAPP app sounds better than out of Z3/Z5/S6/Note 4 over headphone out yet as mentioned earlier not compared to native DSD out to my Mojo which is best I've ever heard.

Ive been listening to the European S7 edge version all day. Coming from s HTC M9 which has a robust thick driver signature.
S7 edge has a wonderful deep soundstage and you can notice individual instruments better and multi layered vocals. Tried paradise city by guns and roses abd this was very apparent. Quite neutral too.
Overall quite musical and very happy. Im using B&O earphones.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #149 of 704

Sounds like for quality audio alone, the V10 would be a better choice, and cheaper....G5 may fix the problem in Sound quality for G line from LG.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #150 of 704
There is nothing dubious or mediocre about the new Snapdragon DAC.

People may say it's not as colorful as S6.. but you generally don't want color in a D/A.

The Qualcomm chipset, again, is superior to S6 in accuracy of conversion and full spectrum sound.

Boring tracks won't sound less boring and exciting tracks will be exciting.

Having mastered for many years, I can assure that if the Exynos is any better than Snapdragon, no one should be complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back