Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Mar 5, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #91 of 704
  Been confirmed to be the Qualcomm WCD9335 audio codec.

http://www.chipworks.com/about-chipworks/overview/blog/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-teardown

As for sound quality, won't know until ATT gets off their.... and ships it.

Very interesting. Maybe the DSPG audio processor is for voice. I don't know the schematics of a phone, but the article mentioning when they won the bid from Samsung said something about voice processors. Maybe it's just being detected wrong by the sammobile app?

-Collin-

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #92 of 704
While I'm glad to read this, it simply isn't my experience. I notice less treble (perhaps the 4-6k "trashy" frequencies you refer to) and that makes the bass emphasis sound more prominent. I don't proclaim to have expert ears, but I have had nearly every flagship smartphone in the last four or five years and while some have really impressed me, this one simply did not. The beauty is that what sounds good to one person might not sound good to another, and I genuinely hope that everyone enjoys it more than I have. I absolutely love the phone and do not hate the audio, but it's just nothing special to me. I will be curious to see what GSM arena says about it and Phone Arena as well, but their tests are far from conclusive. In a nutshell, I simply prefer the sound signature and detail I get from my iPhone 6S. Thank you for your thoughts, but I will have to remain in the naysayers camp (which is a bummer). 

Are you going to purchase it? If you do, I would really love to hear your thoughts after using some of your own tracks or something not on YouTube. Nothing against YouTube of course and the HD videos sound fine, but maybe a FLAC stream from Tidal or something might change your mind? If you still feel it is a step above the S6 and other phones, then I am going to go back to the drawing board, retrain my ears, and eat my words like I promised I would do :)

Cheers. 

-Collin-

Yes I have pre-ordered and it should be here March 8th (supposedly).

It is a shame you are an iPhone 6S fan as I found it to sound more compressed than S6.

As for bass emphasis, I listened to my S6 Edge of a passage with 808's and kicks mixed in and then the S7 Edge.. noticeably cleaner lows and slightly less boom on S7.

I chalk that all up to more detail overall, especially in the high end with hi-hats, etc. It's not wow factor low end or high end per se but cleaner and less messy sounding is always better in my book.

For the first time, I can say that a YouTube HD video sounded incredibly close to the original CD.

I also listen to video game music from downloads.khinsider.com which does have some lower quality files and I bypass those.. but when those do occur, I can usually find it on YouTube in HD.

I listened to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (YouTube) and one playlist sounds almost identical to the Winamp Genesis plugin with the S7.

I don't think you need to retrain your ears unless you're stuck on a certain set of earbuds/headphones.. that can lead to being picky about things when that certain set doesn't sound right after changing something substantial in the chain of course.

I have heard several $200-800 sets of headphones and can assure everyone that M&D MH40's (a golden pair mind you) sound excellent with the U.S. S7 Edge.

If it's a Qualcomm or DSP Group chip, it is definitely better than what's in the S6.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #94 of 704
I've seen people say the LG V10 may be the best sounding phone out now.. but I would have to hear and compare.

Now having compared the S6 to S7, I can easily say there is nothing to complain about in the upgrade.

Anyone used to the S6 sound will be happy.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #95 of 704
Hey guys. I received my Galaxy S7 through T-Mobile yesterday.  I am coming from a Galaxy S6 Edge. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the S6 sounds better to my ears. Right now I'm using a pair of 16 ohm V-Moda Zns. To me, the S7 sounds like it has a darker sound signature. Not only that, but the overall dynamic range seems slightly limited compared to my S6.  

No, it's not a night and day difference, but there's definitely some low end "fuzzyness" and high end "shhhness" (if that makes any sense in sound language). Simply put, I feel like the sound I get from the S6 edge is more colorful and musical while the s7 (it doesn't sound bad by any means) has a somewhat bland sound signature. The bass may even be possibly stronger, but I don't feel it sounds better because of that. Anyhow, I have not done enough A/B listening so I will update this as I go. For all I know, the s7 may also a get a firmware update that improves sound quality too. (I had the s6 at launch so I too remember the poor sound quality prior to that patch)

Also, If someone has questions about either phone, let me know. Thanks!

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #96 of 704
Until I get mine hopefully Tuesday, I can only vouch for the AT&T store model I heard and I specifically remember less boom in the low end and less harsh frequencies.. cleaner overall and less compressed sounding, as stated prior.

I will say I have compared two S6 Edge models side by side and noticed slightly less bloat in the low end and maybe a tad more 1-4khz on one of them.

Maybe each phone won't sound the same is all I can fathom.

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #97 of 704
Planning to buy this Galaxy S7 to be my portable rig. Gonna use it via OTG with my micro iDSD. If anyone of you have the iDSD please tell me how is it paired with S7. Thanks!

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #98 of 704
  Planning to buy this Galaxy S7 to be my portable rig. Gonna use it via OTG with my micro iDSD. If anyone of you have the iDSD please tell me how is it paired with S7. Thanks!

The iDSD sounds the same with every good smartphone. All the final audio processing is done within the iDSD.
Thus "pairing" doesn´t exist. Just get a phone with enough processing power (no lag, (gapless) DSD playback).

Get yourself a good playback software(Neutron, UAPP, Poweramp...) and enjoy the S7

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #101 of 704
  Good morning everyone, but tomorrow I would book the s7, which uses dac?
It sounds better de s6 or iphone 6s?
Thank you.

*sigh* Every device that produces sound uses a DAC.
The American version has a simple Snapdragon DAC, nothing special.
The European/ Asian version has Cirrus Logic/Wolfson DAC that is rumored to be better than the Snapdragon version.

It is supposed to sound better than the S6, maybe on par with the 6s, which also uses audio components from the same company(Cirrus Logic).

You´re welcome.

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #102 of 704

*sigh* Every device that produces sound uses a DAC.
The American version has a simple Snapdragon DAC, nothing special.
The European/ Asian version has Cirrus Logic/Wolfson DAC that is rumored to be better than the Snapdragon version.

It is supposed to sound better than the S6, maybe on par with the 6s, which also uses audio components from the same company(Cirrus Logic).

You´re welcome.

thank you very much

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #104 of 704
With some luck my S7 Edge will come tomorrow, then i will test it out how it works. I get the Eur Ver., and i just hope it sounds Ok. :)
And use my B&W P7 99%, so guess that is the ones that will show how they do..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back