Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Feb 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #46 of 704
I suspect S7 in the US variant is Snapdragon and ofcourse those required integrated for SD audio codec....nothing to see here
biggrin.gif
. What interesting would be the Exynos version which has the new Lucky DAC ? But that is international unlocked version

Although "required", there is no impediment for a manufacturer to add a separate DAC if they want ala the LG v10 with Snapdragon 808. Anyway, I'll go see what I can find out this weekend.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #47 of 704
Although "required", there is no impediment for a manufacturer to add a separate DAC if they want ala the LG v10 with Snapdragon 808. Anyway, I'll go see what I can find out this weekend.

Actually everything need a DAC to make sound from digital sources....specially smartphones to allow watching YouTube and stream. However Snapdragon has their own integrated DAC, Exynos processor does not....so Samsung always throw on Wolfson DAC.

That is why S7 Exynos already has Lucky DAC built in...how would it perform ? It is more interesting than Snapdragon and it integrated DAC...which sucks

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #50 of 704
Congratulations, and we are thankful for your helps
biggrin.gif
. I believe the us version is snapdragon 820 with snapdragon DAC.

I believe so to, so needless to say I am not really all that excited. I don't still have my Note5/S6, but I do still have my Nexus 6P to compare to. Possibly the worst sounding phone ever :D

-Collin-

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #53 of 704
I believe so to, so needless to say I am not really all that excited. I don't still have my Note5/S6, but I do still have my Nexus 6P to compare to. Possibly the worst sounding phone ever :D

-Collin-

Lol, if that is so, I do think the integrated from 6P nexus is carried over to this new gen 820 snapdragon. Anyways, let's wait and see your updates :). Snapdragon has the tendency to only upgrade the DAC in a cycles of every 2 upgraded Snapdragon processor

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #54 of 704
Lol, if that is so, I do think the integrated from 6P nexus is carried over to this new gen 820 snapdragon. Anyways, let's wait and see your updates
smily_headphones1.gif
. Snapdragon has the tendency to only upgrade the DAC in a cycles of every 2 upgraded Snapdragon processor

My UPS guy is not going to come until like 8pm, so I'm just killing time now. Hasn't the SD DAC carried over all the way from SD805? Ugh, come on Qualcomm! Actually my friend is an engineer there...I'm going to call him and yell at him. 

-Collin-

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #55 of 704
My UPS guy is not going to come until like 8pm, so I'm just killing time now. Hasn't the SD DAC carried over all the way from SD805? Ugh, come on Qualcomm! Actually my friend is an engineer there...I'm going to call him and yell at him. 

-Collin-

Lol time to ask him then. If the 810 was carried over by 805 DAC then the 820 may be the next generations....but regardless....SD always suck in DAC processing

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #56 of 704
Think you guys may be interested in this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/48hx8e/my_s7_edge_utilizes_the_dspgdbmdx_sound_chip_dac/

Looks like the Exynos has the "Lucky" and we (Snapdragon) have the DSPG-DBMDX.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #57 of 704

-Collin-

Have you had a chance to test some audio?! :D Congrats on getting the phone early!

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #58 of 704

-Collin-

Have you had a chance to test some audio?!
biggrin.gif
Congrats on getting the phone early!

Too early to tell, but it doesn't sound like anything special to me. I need to find some time today to test next to my Oppo HA-2. 

Right off the bat, I can tell you that the volume sucks. iPhone 6S has way more output. Bummer. I mean, I have amps for full sized headphones, but it's a bit disappointing because I have several pairs of Sony IEMs that need some real power and this is lackluster at best. Quality sounds fine, but I won't be blasting out my eardrums anytime soon. 

-Collin-

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #59 of 704
Too early to tell, but it doesn't sound like anything special to me. I need to find some time today to test next to my Oppo HA-2. 

Right off the bat, I can tell you that the volume sucks. iPhone 6S has way more output. Bummer. I mean, I have amps for full sized headphones, but it's a bit disappointing because I have several pairs of Sony IEMs that need some real power and this is lackluster at best. Quality sounds fine, but I won't be blasting out my eardrums anytime soon. 

-Collin-

Sounds like typical SD-DAC :)

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #60 of 704
Think you guys may be interested in this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/48hx8e/my_s7_edge_utilizes_the_dspgdbmdx_sound_chip_dac/

Looks like the Exynos has the "Lucky" and we (Snapdragon) have the DSPG-DBMDX.

Thanks for linking that - interesting. Never heard of that DAC or company. 

The reddit thread has hope, but I get discouraged when I see things like this:

"My S7e sounds 10x better over BT than my S6e/Note 5"

:)

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back