Samsung Galaxy S5 audio review
Apr 29, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #76 of 91
Viper4Android does not, as people suggest, 'improve' sound. It just changes it. It's just an entire suite of post-processors for music, so when people say 'it improves a lot', what they meant was 'it changed it to my listening preferences.'

Thanks for the explanation. I can get the sound I want with the tools in PowerAmp, so voiding my warranty doesn't seem necessary right now. Maybe after the warranty is over, however...

May 1, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #78 of 91
I actually tried the settings in the stock music player, for fun, and before long, I felt, through A/B testing, I was getting better results with the stock player. Is it that good, or am I just imagining it?

Have you enabled the "Music FX" setting and set eq to on but leave as flat? Not enabling Music FX basically uses the default dsp and the two players should sound similar.

May 1, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #80 of 91
Just tried a few songs, and with the Clear Bass and Clear Audio set on, without the EQ, it's not bad.  It seems better volume and crisper sound.  Better than what I could get from PowerAmp, and I thought that was a great app.  Not sure what to think now.  I'll run the stock app for now, and get used to it a little more, and then switch back to PowerAmp.

May 1, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #81 of 91
  Just tried a few songs, and with the Clear Bass and Clear Audio set on, without the EQ, it's not bad.  It seems better volume and crisper sound.  Better than what I could get from PowerAmp, and I thought that was a great app.  Not sure what to think now.  I'll run the stock app for now, and get used to it a little more, and then switch back to PowerAmp.

I meant MusicFX in poweramp, that's the setting that makes the difference. Which appears to be off by default (on the trial) for some reason....

May 1, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #83 of 91
  Music FX isn't supported by my stock ROM.  So I've been using the EQ to change the sound.  I get clearer sound and bass with the stock music player with a flat EQ, and just "Bass" and "Clear" turned on.

Hmm... i'm not too sure about poweramp, I use(d) PlayerPro (neutron) and they both have settings to enable custom dsp (stock/samsung dsp is not very good), I,e changing the sound alive settings has no effect on the sound of the player, sounds more solid and less defused (noise?) compared to stock.

May 1, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #84 of 91
Hmm... i'm not too sure about poweramp, I use(d) PlayerPro (neutron) and they both have settings to enable custom dsp (stock/samsung dsp is not very good), I,e changing the sound alive settings has no effect on the sound of the player, sounds more solid and less defused (noise?) compared to stock.

I'll look into Neutron. Thanks for the suggestion.

May 8, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #86 of 91
Yeh i noticed the stock player seemed to be clearer and louder than poweramp. Neutron is great as it really allows you to tweak the sound a lot more than anything else i've used.

Any idea on how I get my Sound Alive Custom settings to stick? I go into the advanced settings, turn on Bass and Clear, but they don't stick. Every time I shut off the player, then restart it, I have to turn them on again.

*edit* Figured it out. I use my phone to bluetooth stream music to my truck deck. When in bluetooth mode, it shuts those two off, saying they aren't compatible with bluetooth. Then, later, when I want to use my IEM'S, they're off. Minor inconvenience.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #89 of 91
  Does the S5 have UHQ?

What's UHQ? Ultra High Quality???

Anyway, I just got a ZuperDAC and have been blown away by how good it sounds off of the S5 (using the Neutron music player app). Happy "UHQ" times :)

May 4, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #90 of 91
Does this phone handle 16 Ohm headphones well?

I just got a pair of low impedance headphones and they sound rattly and loose with poor treble on my PC's front panel, but sound good on the rear jacks due to the low output impedance < 2 Ohms.
About to get this phone so wondering comparatively how does it treat low impedance phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back