Samsung Galaxy S5 audio review
Apr 13, 2014 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

Haverholm

New Head-Fier
From Gsmarena.com:

Splendid audio quality

The Samsung Galaxy S5 audio output is certainly among the cleanest we have ever seen a smartphone produce. Posting excellent scores top to bottom in the first part of our test, the Samsung flagship only let its stereo crosstalk spike a bit in the second one. That's some of the most accurate audio reproduction you can find on the market and one that should be good enough for even the most demanding audiophiles.

On the other hand volume levels, while good, are not quite among the best we've encountered. The Samsung Galaxy S5 is still going to be loud enough for the majority of users, but the HTC One (M8) holds a lead in that department.

(http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-review-1064p8.php)

Has anybody here tried both the s5 and the M8? I would love to hear some comparisons about their audio.

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 91
Also very curious about this!

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 91
I've got both and comparing them purely for headphone out I prefer the M8 by a wide margin.  Some of my observations:

S5 very low volume compared to M8, I used a S4 before and used 5/15 on the S4 but on the S5 need 8/15 to get the same volume.
S5 sound is muddied, layers bleed into each other and details are less coherent.
This is with boomsound off on the M8.

For the built in speaker then M8 wins, no competition there.  Stereo and higher volume.

Not tried using external DAC or amp since I carry my phones as they are, for now I am using the iBasso DX90 as a music player so not fussed about the phone's headphone out.  Both are not great DAPs if you are a demanding user but casual users may accept the quality.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 91
  I've got both and comparing them purely for headphone out I prefer the M8 by a wide margin.  Some of my observations:

S5 very low volume compared to M8, I used a S4 before and used 5/15 on the S4 but on the S5 need 8/15 to get the same volume.
S5 sound is muddied, layers bleed into each other and details are less coherent.
This is with boomsound off on the M8.

For the built in speaker then M8 wins, no competition there.  Stereo and higher volume.

Not tried using external DAC or amp since I carry my phones as they are, for now I am using the iBasso DX90 as a music player so not fussed about the phone's headphone out.  Both are not great DAPs if you are a demanding user but casual users may accept the quality.

Were you using cans or monitors? The S5 on the lowest volume is too loud for me on my JH16. Which is kind of annoying but from what you're saying the sound isn't satisfactory anyway. I definitely did notice some hissing in the 10 seconds I allowed 1/15 to pierce my eardrums.

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 91
I'm using IEMs, UE18 pro and the volume was low even on those.  1/15 would be woefully low for me, I use 7/15.  I feel the S5 lacks the details, layering and staging that I can get from the DX90/DX100.  The M8 isn't perfect either but AB'ing between that and the S5 and the M8 sounds better, perhaps stronger amp.  The M8 seems tighter overall especially on bass and staging.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #8 of 91
I agree that the M8 is louder than the S5, but I'm confused as to why you would view that as better if you are only listening at < 50% volume anyway. At that point, it seems like a lower maximum volume would be better, as it would give you more granularity in usable volume settings and make it less likely that you would damage your hearing if you accidentally lean on the volume button when the phone is in your pocket.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 91
Apart from the less headroom if you want to drive higher impedance cans or earphones, there is more power on the M8 amps and that does allow tighter bass etc.  It's not I need the maximum volume but having more powerful amps is beneficial since there is no variable gain.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 91
  Apart from the less headroom if you want to drive higher impedance cans or earphones, there is more power on the M8 amps and that does allow tighter bass etc.  It's not I need the maximum volume but having more powerful amps is beneficial since there is no variable gain.

Not not mention that headroom is welcome when you're playing back programs with very low intrinsc volume. Layerng, imaging and the subtleties can rarely get as frustrating as not being able to get a volume loud enough.

It seems to me that Samsung seldom engineers towards excellence and the headphone out is not exception. Good is enough for Samsung hence they don't strive for really good.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 91
Does the SGS 5 actually work with 192/24bit flac files? (Is the Android OS API modified to accomplish this)

Does the SGS 5 actually have APT-X support?

I'm planning on buying two of these: http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Blackberry-Smartphones-Connections-BR50/dp/B00EVXZAI4

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 91
I really don't mind if the S5 is not as loud as the M8, but can it be loud enough to comfortably listen to at the gym without losing the tightness in bass? With a pair of IEMs such as the GR07 BE?

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 91
Does the SGS 5 actually work with 192/24bit flac files? (Is the Android OS API modified to accomplish this)

I'm planning on buying two of these: http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Blackberry-Smartphones-Connections-BR50/dp/B00EVXZAI4

Just tried a 24/176 flac converted from DSD and it plays fine, it was even marked as UHQ in the Samsung music player.  The HTC One M8 was unable to play this file though.

I've seen mentioned that the S5 was AptX capable but don't have any hardware to test with.

Apr 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 91

Just tried a 24/176 flac converted from DSD and it plays fine, it was even marked as UHQ in the Samsung music player.  The HTC One M8 was unable to play this file though.

I've seen mentioned that the S5 was AptX capable but don't have any hardware to test with.

I've tried with my stereo car and it sounds very good with APT-X.

Also appears oficial APT-X logo on box.

About sound quality, it sounds good with ViperAudioFX mod but far away from my FiiO X3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back