Samsung Galaxy s3 and HD598's
Jan 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

joseph0042

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just recently got my HD598's and was curious to know which way I would get better sound...

1) Out of the standard 3.55mm
2) Using a micro usb to 3.55mm adapter

I thought I read that better signal is transferred through the micro usb compared to the standard 3.55mm, but I could be mistaken. Also I have been debating getting a portable dac/amp for around $150, anyone got any suggestions? I listen to rock, alternative, country, and a little bit of everything else.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 7
i have no idea if such an adapter works or not(i don't think it would)... what you could do is use the microusb port as a digital out to a dac(which is a type of soundcard, and so it would bypass the internal soundcard of the s3) which again i don't know, if s3 supports or not...

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Oh ok. For example:

http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-oem-micro-usb-male-to-3-5mm-female-adapter/227034150.html?listingId=194384859

This would be considered a DAC? Sorry for my newbness... I do understand the digital to analog convertor part, would this be better than the stock DAC inside the phone? Or would using a USB DAC be better all together anyway?

My guess is that that adapter will probably get you an analog line-out signal from the usb port (the Samsung dock works in a similar way).  If so, you would probably need an external amplifier since it will have a fixed output level.  In any case, I think you will be better off with a compatible USB DAC/Amp.  I have a Sony PHA-1 that works well on my S3  but it's not cheap.  A FiiO E7 is a popular and much cheaper alternative.

Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back