Samsung Galaxy S2
Jun 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Joshii

Head-Fier
hey guys,

my ipod has just recently broke and instead of keeping my nokia and getting another ipod, i figured I should just combine and get a smartphone. i have a fiio l3 and I love what it does to my setup. i have the zo 2 by the way and ATHPRO700MK2anv cans. I hear rumours that the next iphone wont be using the 30 pin dock connector that my l3 would work with. So i don't know whether to wait fo r that or not. I wanted to know if there is some sort of device that can bypass the samsung galaxy s2's headphone jack like a line out does. Because i i could do that then i would get the samsung because i prefer android. Please let me know

Josh

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 10
The S2 is not known for it's SQ. Where are you? Which variant of the S2 will you get?

Why not look at the S3? Or even the Original Galaxy S + Voodoo mod if the newest S3 is out of budget.

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 10
I've read many comments saying the S2 isn't good for sound quality.  I agree with that, if you're using the stock music app.  For some reason, that app has a lot of compression noise, where the bass kind of mutes the highs, and the sound isn't clear.  I found this as well, but I had purchased the phone before reading these comments, so I needed to use what I now have, instead of finding a new DAP.  As it turns out, I've discovered that with different music apps, you can adjust the sound of the S2.  Personally, I'm using PowerAmp (unlocked), and find that it gives me the best sound with my FLAC files and ATH-CKS77's.  I find that the S2 with PowerAmp is comparable to the highly thought of Sansa Clip+.  I also own one of these, so doing my own A/Bing, I found the sound very similar.  At least similar enough for my ears that I can use the S2 happily without issues.

And the S2 is a rockin' phone.  But if you wait a couple weeks, the S3 will be out, with the highly thought of Wolfson DAC.  But I like my S2, I'm happy with it.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks so much, very helpful

So you're saying that with an app like poweramp (i wanted to get that one so it is good to hear it works) It makes the sound similair to that that you can have with an iphone??.

Also, i hear the iphone 5 will be replacing the thirty pin dock connector. If Apple to develop a new connection. Will companies like Fiio and others make LOD's? Because I like the iphone because of the apps it offers. Android doesn't seem up to standard with the amount of developers Apple has brought in. 

Thank you

Josh

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 10
I actually have Samsung galaxy s, note with the PowerAmp, and iPhone series. I tested the units at the same time but I actually liked the galaxy with PowerAmp over iPhone. Also, provides more settings.
If iPhone 5 comes with new connector, then other third-party companies will make something for that, if the iPhone 5 hits like its previous generations.
I kinda agree with the application part. I somehow feel iOS has more clean and straight kind of look unlike Android with several different themes. I know it's because of the environments of those two os are different but somehow I like iOS better.
I sometimes hope to mix those two os and make into one as I like =)

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Thanks so much, very helpful

So you're saying that with an app like poweramp (i wanted to get that one so it is good to hear it works) It makes the sound similair to that that you can have with an iphone??.

Also, i hear the iphone 5 will be replacing the thirty pin dock connector. If Apple to develop a new connection. Will companies like Fiio and others make LOD's? Because I like the iphone because of the apps it offers. Android doesn't seem up to standard with the amount of developers Apple has brought in. 

Thank you

Josh

There are minor differences with the sound, but they can be adjusted with the multitude of adjustments provided in an android app like PowerAmp.  I've tried DoubleTwist, Winamp, and PowerAmp.  I personally like the sound from PowerAmp.  It allows me to adjust the output for my liking better than the others IMO, and it has a wonderful interface.  I would say that the sound is similar or almost identical to my old iPhone 3Gs.  But I like the android experience more. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 10
I recently upgraded firmware of my S2 (International Version with crap Yamaha DAC) from 2.3 to 4.0.3 stock ICS. I'm noticing minor improvements in sound quality. Thought I can observe the noise but its bit musical which is letting me to enjoy music rather to switch it off what I use to do before

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #10 of 10
Stock S2 app is not so good I agree with that. But instead of PowerAmp, I use JetAudio. This brings better results to my ears than clip+ for instance. It is not the best portable solution, but with only 1 device, you get smartphone, music player (mp3/flac most importantly), decent battery and nice application which gives you an an awesome SQ and ability to personalize your how your sound tastes.

With any Adroid device, I highly reccomend using JetAudio application. There is a basic and full version. Basic should be enough for most people but of course upgrading it to to full is not a bad idea and it is cheaper than poweramp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back