Samsung galaxy S2 vs IPhone 4
Jul 27, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #31 of 146
One thing to keep in mind is the Galaxy S uses a kind of "smart EQ". It has EQ built into its firmware that enables or disables itself based on what's plugged into its headphone jack. Low impedance loads (such as headphones) enable the firmware EQ. High impedance loads (such as external amplifiers) disable the firmware EQ. GSM Arena's audio tests show this. Samsung calls it the "diamond solution".

The Galaxy S performs measurably better when the firmware EQ is disabled - aka when it's plugged into an external amplifier. I'm not sure if the same holds true of the S2 or not.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #32 of 146

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is the Galaxy S uses a kind of "smart EQ". It has EQ built into its firmware that enables or disables itself based on what's plugged into its headphone jack. Low impedance loads (such as headphones) enable the firmware EQ. High impedance loads (such as external amplifiers) disable the firmware EQ. GSM Arena's audio tests show this. Samsung calls it the "diamond solution".

The Galaxy S performs measurably better when the firmware EQ is disabled - aka when it's plugged into an external amplifier. I'm not sure if the same holds true of the S2 or not.

Don't you have that backwards?  Line cable should have little to no impedance, where buds and cans will have varying impedance.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #33 of 146
I have to say that the biggest problem with the SGS2 is the headphone amp not the DAC.

I've bought a Fiio E11 and it has done absolute wonders for the phone.  This combination definately sounds better than my iPhone  4 straight out.  Not sure what the E11 does for the iPhone I don't have a line out cable for it.

Jul 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #34 of 146

Quote:
Don't you have that backwards?  Line cable should have little to no impedance, where buds and cans will have varying impedance.

No, I don't. The input impedance of your typical amp is tens of thousands of ohms. The headamp Pico, for instance, is 50Kohm.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #35 of 146
Okay, here are my impressions of the Galaxy S2 audio quality.

Things I've compared to is the iPod Touch 4G and my Macbook Pro (2011). No amps were used and I use the Westone 4.

Note that this is purely subjective. :)

On a scale of 1 to 10.

Macbook Pro             8/10
iPod Touch 4G           7/10
Samsung Galaxy S2   4/10

The Samsung Galaxy S2 has one of the worst audio quality I've ever heard in my life. The liveliness is gone, background instruments are fading and everything seems so dull and dead. I do not think the Samsung Galaxy S2 uses a Wolfson DAC. The iPod is decent, and I honestly think I need an amp for that. 

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #36 of 146
It does not, it uses some new "one off" Yamaha chip now. It's a shame, because the original Galaxy S line supposedly sounded really good. I'm glad i decided to get the iPhone 4 instead of waiting for the S2.

Quote:
Okay, here are my impressions of the Galaxy S2 audio quality.

Things I've compared to is the iPod Touch 4G and my Macbook Pro (2011). No amps were used and I use the Westone 4.

Note that this is purely subjective. :)

On a scale of 1 to 10.

Macbook Pro             8/10
iPod Touch 4G           7/10
Samsung Galaxy S2   4/10

The Samsung Galaxy S2 has one of the worst audio quality I've ever heard in my life. The liveliness is gone, background instruments are fading and everything seems so dull and dead. I do not think the Samsung Galaxy S2 uses a Wolfson DAC. The iPod is decent, and I honestly think I need an amp for that. 

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #37 of 146

Quote:
It does not, it uses some new "one off" Yamaha chip now. It's a shame, because the original Galaxy S line supposedly sounded really good. I'm glad i decided to get the iPhone 4 instead of waiting for the S2.

Yes the iPhone had a much better sound quality but the S2 is a much better mobile phone. It only falls short in battery life (huge screen and live wallpapers consume more energy) and the poor dac.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #39 of 146
Voodoo control isn't compatible with Galaxy S II because it doesn't have a wolfson dac like Galaxy S family.

Quote:
I have a galaxy s and I bought the power amp app and an installed voodoo control from my ROM, I'm sure S II can have these apps.  it is great, I wonder how it can compare to Iphone4, but I think it will definitely beat it.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #41 of 146
Not likely. The thing with the Galaxy S was that it has an near audiophile grade Wolfson dac but it was very poorly implemented by Samsung firmware wise. Voodoo fixed that by bypassing all the crap Samsung messed up. The Galaxy S II uses some Yamaha dac which is cheaper and was supposed to be decent but its just not on par with the first Galaxy S dac.

Edit: forgot to mention that Voodoo also tweaked the headphone amp. That thing is a beast. Also reading DrTone's response above maybe he's onto something. If more ppl compare the Galaxy S 2 with an external amp and without....

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #42 of 146
The best thing for the iPhone 4 is that it allows me to connect to my CLAS and the Fostex HP-P1 and let me listen to my LCD2 on my office setup. I own both iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S2 but I seldom use the latter for music, in office or traveling (in which case I use ES5 and UE18 Pro straight out from the iPhone 4).

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #43 of 146
Just incase anyone has been searching for this thread lately.

I did A LOT of research on this topic in the past 2 weeks.

I wanted to try out android, but have been using my iphone as my main portable music player.

I am coming from the latest build of iphone 4 32GB and just recieved my Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 International (original) version phone. 

I use Westone 3 earphones.

Although all the sites and specs will tell you that the samsung s2 audio quality is terrible, this is what I did.

1. Root
2. CyanogenMod 7
3. DSP Eq Install

I have been listening on both devices for several hours on and off. 

I can see why most members like the iphone4 more, because when stock and no EQ, the s2 does not sound very lively compared to the iphone.

I listen to a lot of rap, hip hop, electronic and rock. The problem with the iphone 4 for me, was that it was always "dark" on the westone 3s, due to the fact that I use comply foams for my earpieces.

The iphone 4 EQ is crap, so I just always left it flat.

Now with the S2, the EQ is actually pretty good and gives me alot of real control over the output.

Leaving everything flat, and setting bass boost to "slight", I swear this is one of the best portable players I've ever used for rap and hip hop. 

Listening to "The Weeknd - Glass Tables, The Morning, Loft Music, The Zone" right now and side by side with my iphone4 I very much prefer the sound of the s2.

The bass extension is amazing! I actually have never heard my westone 3s sound this way with rap and hip hop music. The beat hits strong, tight and very clean without being overbearing.

Hope my assessment helps you make a decision!

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #45 of 146
Just incase anyone has been searching for this thread lately.

I did A LOT of research on this topic in the past 2 weeks.

I wanted to try out android, but have been using my iphone as my main portable music player.

I am coming from the latest build of iphone 4 32GB and just recieved my Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 International (original) version phone. 

I use Westone 3 earphones.

Although all the sites and specs will tell you that the samsung s2 audio quality is terrible, this is what I did.

1. Root
2. CyanogenMod 7
3. DSP Eq Install

I have been listening on both devices for several hours on and off. 

I can see why most members like the iphone4 more, because when stock and no EQ, the s2 does not sound very lively compared to the iphone.

I listen to a lot of rap, hip hop, electronic and rock. The problem with the iphone 4 for me, was that it was always "dark" on the westone 3s, due to the fact that I use comply foams for my earpieces.

The iphone 4 EQ is crap, so I just always left it flat.

Now with the S2, the EQ is actually pretty good and gives me alot of real control over the output.

Leaving everything flat, and setting bass boost to "slight", I swear this is one of the best portable players I've ever used for rap and hip hop. 

Listening to "The Weeknd - Glass Tables, The Morning, Loft Music, The Zone" right now and side by side with my iphone4 I very much prefer the sound of the s2.

The bass extension is amazing! I actually have never heard my westone 3s sound this way with rap and hip hop music. The beat hits strong, tight and very clean without being overbearing.

Hope my assessment helps you make a decision!

so how is it to install cm7? is it like flashing a zip using cwm from recovery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back