Samsung Galaxy S Thread
Aug 7, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #31 of 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLACvest 

Gosh ppl get your facts.

[size=small][size=small]Quote:
[/size]
[size=small][size=small]Originally Posted by frustrated:[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]i dont know what this comment is supposed to mean, but its rubbing me the wrong way. did we say something wrong that would prompt him to tell us to get the facts right? Made me double check if i somehow made an incorrect post regarding the chip.[/size][/size]

[/size]

LOL I was merely referring to everybody picking specifications and features wrt these units out of the air, seemingly.

Now, it appears I've offended the sensibilities of some with my choice of verbiage... That's a shame, since I'm harboring no ill will nor any other "feeling" towards any head-fi members. Period.

It is disheartening to feel the necessity to issue this statement due to our culture having become SO senstive that
all statements appear to require the involvement of legal counsel in this day and age.

APOLOGIES TO ALL WHO MAY HAVE FELT OFFENDED.

I now have some serious reservations about the point of this community...

Oh, and just because I've been misquoted, my motive, intent, and attitude made in my previous post were NOT coming from a place where I was belittling, condescending to the intelligence of, or worth of ANY member's opinion, statement, or worth. I hope that is slightly more clear.

In frustration, FLACvest

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #32 of 203

Quote:

LOL I was merely referring to everybody picking specifications and features wrt these units out of the air, seemingly.

Now, it appears I've offended the sensibilities of some with my choice of verbiage... That's a shame, since I'm harboring no ill will nor any other "feeling" towards any head-fi members. Period.

It is disheartening to feel the necessity to issue this statement due to our culture having become SO senstive that
all statements appear to require the involvement of legal counsel in this day and age.

APOLOGIES TO ALL WHO MAY HAVE FELT OFFENDED.

I now have some serious reservations about the point of this community...

Oh, and just because I've been misquoted, my motive, intent, and attitude made in my previous post were NOT coming from a place where I was belittling, condescending to the intelligence of, or worth of ANY member's opinion, statement, or worth. I hope that is slightly more clear.

In frustration, FLACvest

1. What made you conclude that people were "picking specifications and features wrt these units out of the air, seemingly"?

Do you know the people here to make up facts, or in this case, specs without any basis whatsoever? i dont know a lot of people in this forum personally, so i make it a point to always have the benefit of the doubt. Thats why i dont tell them to get their facts right. If i notice something wrong, i suggest the correction, but i dont impose it nor quote myself in a condescending way which you did when you, out of nowhere posted that (we) get our facts right.

2. i too harbor no ill feeling, i just want to point out that i said the post is "rubbing me the wrong way" and that i think its condescending, but take note that i did not refer to you whatsoever as condescending or harboring any ill will. I just want to call attention to the post for the sake of mutual respect in a community of equals.

3. I apologize too for how this thing went, but rest assured i did not do it for the sake of spiting or dissing somebody.

4.  your statement that we're merely picking specs out of the air suggest the contrary to a misquote of your post. 

5. And now you feel the need to issue an open ended comment about the community, which i dont see any need for.

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #33 of 203
Lets shore things up.

Perhaps my original choice of words wasn't as smooth as they could've been. Granted. That said, I apologize now for  causing any discomfort or annoyance to the fine folks who frequent these forums, us Head-Fi'ers. No derision was INTENDED, but was unfortunately caused by my lack of delicacy. For that I'd like to apologize to everyone.

There's more than one Galaxy S thread going, and in one of them somebody listed the incorrect part number. I _heatedly_ made a stupid comment in THIS thread. MY BAD. Please forgive my error.

There's too few rly cool like minded Audio Loving Gear Heads around to have us treating each other with a lack of respect. I intended none, but apparently came across with some, and for that again, I'd like to apologize.

I bear nobody any personal ill will on Head-Fi.org, and had only intended for us all to get at the INTERESTING, correct data on the Audio Processing Chip, and capabilities of this intriguing new convergence device. That was my aim. 

On to greener pastures, mainly the audio quality of the WM8994 in the Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant for me) ...shockingly more than decent. I'm really enjoying my listening experience. It's a tad early to be evaluative at this point, but I don't think anyone will be disappointed in the audio prowess of this device.

Thanks for reading, and pointing out that we are a community. I hope that we can all get past missteps in manners and enjoy the enthusiasm from sharing common interests together.

Best,
-FLACvest

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #34 of 203

Quote:
Lets shore things up.

Perhaps my original choice of words wasn't as smooth as they could've been. Granted. That said, I apologize now for  causing any discomfort or annoyance to the fine folks who frequent these forums, us Head-Fi'ers. No derision was INTENDED, but was unfortunately caused by my lack of delicacy. For that I'd like to apologize to everyone.

There's more than one Galaxy S thread going, and in one of them somebody listed the incorrect part number. I _heatedly_ made a stupid comment in THIS thread. MY BAD. Please forgive my error.

There's too few rly cool like minded Audio Loving Gear Heads around to have us treating each other with a lack of respect. I intended none, but apparently came across with some, and for that again, I'd like to apologize.

I bear nobody any personal ill will on Head-Fi.org, and had only intended for us all to get at the INTERESTING, correct data on the Audio Processing Chip, and capabilities of this intriguing new convergence device. That was my aim. 

On to greener pastures, mainly the audio quality of the WM8994 in the Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant for me) ...shockingly more than decent. I'm really enjoying my listening experience. It's a tad early to be evaluative at this point, but I don't think anyone will be disappointed in the audio prowess of this device.

Thanks for reading, and pointing out that we are a community. I hope that we can all get past missteps in manners and enjoy the enthusiasm from sharing common interests together.

Best,
-FLACvest

what firmware are you running now? did you change the headset setting in admin menu? 

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #35 of 203
I have not made the change. I wanted to give pure vendor stock a couple of days to burn into my "mindscape" so i can refer back to that "feel" and have something tangible lol to compare against. It usually takes me a week or to to burn my brain into the feel of a new setup... I've been toying with the Vibrant's Music app for 2days... I'll keep y'all up to date. OH and I did a mini off the cuff review for my friends at iAUDIOphile.net as seen here: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showpost.php?p=299055&postcount=9 hope it comes thru ok... if not i will just cleartext it later...

EAGERLY looking forward to other folksies impressions, tips, tricks, and other bits of gleaming knowledge. I know eye four wun am happy witht the WM8994 in the Vibrant!!! LULZ

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #36 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am a recent owner of the Galaxy S and I'm quite surprised with the audio quality. Even using the EQ the response is very good (I have used the RE0 and W3).

It is also more versatile than an iPhone. Great smartphone. And Froyo comes in september.
wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #38 of 203
was wondering if all earphones are compatible with the stop/start button like thats one the stocky earpieces? im looking at some denons but not quite sure what features are compatible. a little sad that although this phone plays flac, it doesnt recognize flac tags, so a large amount of my music is filed under <unknown> artist, hopefully this is fixed with froyo

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #39 of 203
well, i have been experimenting with this, and iphone compatible headsets are not compatible, mainly due to the mic and ground being switched around in the trrs plug, nokia headset works tho, same trrs config. but multiple button headset remote controllers are not supported, just single button ones. also my main qualm about the music player is that it doesnt support press twice to skip, thrice to go back.
otherwise, vary good player, better than anything on the android market mainly due to auto eq and 5.1

im currently running an early release of froyo and no changes with sq other than it is quiter by one or two levels

im also ticked at samsung for implementing a headhone filter eq

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #40 of 203
Just got my Galaxy S yesterday (Vibrant version) as a replacement for my old iPhone 3G, and I couldn't be more happy with it... it's simply leaps and bounds better, although obviously it's not a fair comparison to compare a phone that is older by a couple versions.  Everything is simply smooth, intuitive, responsive... and I'm loving the swype feature.  I was never actually that much of an app guy (I only had few essential ones) so moving away from the itunes store won't really hurt much in my case... android market has all the ones I need.

As for the music player, I feel SQ wise it's excellent.  It's different from the iPhone 3G in that I feel its a LOT more detailed and better extended in the highs, with tighter, punchier bass.  3G's low mids and bass sounds flabby and overblown in comparison, although if you like warmth and emphasized low bass SGS' sound may not be to your liking.  Mids seem slightly more forward as well on the SGS, although maybe due to this it seems like 3G has a slightly better soundstage. 

Problem I'm having with the music player right now; the music is stuttering maybe once every 5 minutes or so for some reason, on the stock player (going to download doubletwist, not sure if that will help)... very annoying... is there any way around this?  I also think that the volume control on stock player jumps too much in loudness, but I'm hoping the doubletwist is better with this.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #41 of 203

Quote:
Just got my Galaxy S yesterday (Vibrant version) as a replacement for my old iPhone 3G, and I couldn't be more happy with it... it's simply leaps and bounds better, although obviously it's not a fair comparison to compare a phone that is older by a couple versions.  Everything is simply smooth, intuitive, responsive... and I'm loving the swype feature.  I was never actually that much of an app guy (I only had few essential ones) so moving away from the itunes store won't really hurt much in my case... android market has all the ones I need.

As for the music player, I feel SQ wise it's excellent.  It's different from the iPhone 3G in that I feel its a LOT more detailed and better extended in the highs, with tighter, punchier bass.  3G's low mids and bass sounds flabby and overblown in comparison, although if you like warmth and emphasized low bass SGS' sound may not be to your liking.  Mids seem slightly more forward as well on the SGS, although maybe due to this it seems like 3G has a slightly better soundstage. 

Problem I'm having with the music player right now; the music is stuttering maybe once every 5 minutes or so for some reason, on the stock player (going to download doubletwist, not sure if that will help)... very annoying... is there any way around this?  I also think that the volume control on stock player jumps too much in loudness, but I'm hoping the doubletwist is better with this.

seems like your system is experiencing some lag. have you tried observing when the stuttering happens? maybe when you access the screen or open another app? some firmwares have a lag problem. although i havent experienced enough lag to make the player stutter, just some sound artifact when i have several aps open and something is writing on the sdcards, which i think i got rid of on my current build with some hacks. i agree though that the SGS is one of the most detailed smartphone in terms of sound quality.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #44 of 203

Quote:
a little sad that although this phone plays flac, it doesnt recognize flac tags, so a large amount of my music is filed under <unknown> artist, hopefully this is fixed with froyo

Wait, what? It doesn't recognise FLAC tags? That's crap :frowning2:

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #45 of 203
yep. this is the latest i heard on the grapevine:

Quote:
After talking to Google, Android doesn't support FLAC. Support is provided by Samsung, so it's a Samsung bug. 3rd party apps will rely on the Samsung hardware / model-specific-firmware, they don't do it on their own, so it has to be Samsung fixing it.

Personally, I'm not going to settle by converting to MP3 or OggVorbis... For that I have another Samsung player, the whole point of going Android and having a microSDHC slot that takes 32GB cards is precisely to be able to enjoy lossless quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back