Samsung galaxy s 4g line out
Jun 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

amant

New Head-Fier
Could't find any information on this anywhwere so i thought i would just ask. Is there a way to use line out on the samsung galaxy s 4g if so how? Thanks alot

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 5
I have the 3g version and I suppose this would work. Install the Voodoo sound kernel, set it up so it gets direct output, then set the max volume to +2db (just to simplify setting it up as a lineout). Then whenever you need it as a lineout then set it to that max level. Anything past that is distorted, and somewhere on the Voodoo kernel it is labelled as a 'line out' level; since it's not a true lineout I suppose what that means basically is that it's the loudest you can go before distortion becomes a problem. I used that setting before (and Neutron Media Player's crossfeed) with an Ibasso PB-2 while my RB'd iPod 5g was charging, and the sound was very similar.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I'm trying to line out so i get a clearer sound b4 it gets to my amp 

Errr...yeah, I knew that's what a lineout is for. Like I said, installing the Voodoo kernel (if you don't have it yet) can clean up the sound with the right settings:

1) DAC-direct - bypasses other circuits (what precisely I'm not sure but it is marginally cleaner)
2) Output limit - setting the output limit to the setting labelled as "Lineout", which is 2db (I don't know how it relates to the Redbook standard 2V) means whenever you plug in something instead of fumbling with the bar to hit 2dB you just slide it to maximum and it stops there. Just pull down the Kernel logo at the top of the screen after inserting the 3.5mm cable, or click on its icon and set it there.

---

If you're thinking about a lineout like iDevices, ie a fixed signal out of a dock port, you have two problems with the Galaxy S:

1) It doesn't have a dock, and the USB doesn't work the same way (not even for digital out, but I think there's a way to hack it). There is however a Samsung brand dock; my brother got one on the cheap and you're supposed to install an app or kernel from Samsung to use it, and it takes the signal from the USB port. I've installed it in both my 3G and my dad's 4G, it didn't work on either - I never got around to tinkering with it though; I was gifted an iPad and was able to pick up a headphone amp with a USB input. I thought I'd still go along with figuring out how to get the dock to work, and then news of USB audio support on the SGSIII just made me lose interest in favor of waiting for the new phone.

2) Integrated chips used in most modern portable audio gadgets (which aren't usually dedicated to just audio) don't function the same way as an S:Flo's smattering of specialized chips, and it depends on what features are integrated into that chip. In most cases the integrated chip has a DAC and a headphone amplifier, and the "preamp" is basically at the digital level; Lineout can mean bypassing the headphone amp section (or separate chip; it depends) or merely bypassing the preamp. In the case of the Wolfson chip in the Galaxy S, AFAIK what the Voodoo kernel does is to set the preamp at the setting where signal strength is maximized while noise is minimized. Also, there is a chance that even iDevices now don't have a "true" lineout either, but in any case you'd have to get an S:Flo or HFM to get as true a lineout signal as possible in the spirit of a CDPlayer anyway (it's still not 2V, AFAIK).

---

So basically, again, yeah I've tried it with my Toucan and Galaxy S, and the 2dB setting is clean enough; to me at least, while my iPod was charging. It lacked the dynamics and slam off the iPod 5g but pumping up the volume isn't going to help - it's mostly louder but distorted.

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 5
I have the same phone as you OP, the SGS 4G for T-Mobile. With the voodoo kernel the sound is very clean and I recommend you follow the posted guide above on how to config voodoo for an amplifier. I use mine with my Cmoy and the sound is absolutely fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back