Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
Dec 11, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #422 of 726
Sorry if this had been covered but didn't have any love on my phone using search.
Does anyone know how the dock for this phone works?
It has an audio out on the dock however this is obviously feed by the USB port on the phone...
Does the dock contain a DAC or does it somehow activate line out via the phones internal DAC?
Similarly, if I were to plug in a USB DAC into the USB port on the dock would this work?
Just thinking about an easier setup at work with less mess/clutter on my desk.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #423 of 726
It is my understanding that the Samsung Galaxy line of smartphones support analog line out over usb through the various Samsung docks. I have a Note1 desktop dock made by Samsung with only USB to charge (not sync) and a speaker line out. When I drop my note 3 (Verizon snapdragon) on there, it enters desktop docked mode (calendar) and if enabled in setting will output a line out to the 3.5mm on the dock. This only charges the phone at usb speed tho, 450mah per the app I use. The volume control on the phone still controls the dock line out signal.

I use this occasionally as a line out method for the car, and also to feed my headphone amp with the line level for comparing the SQ of the note 3 to my put her dacs. I am not impressed with the note 3 dac at all. It is low noise/static, which is a great improvement over my galaxy nexus I came from, and this makes it acceptable for short term use with my iems for when mowing the grass for example, but I've purchased external dacs to use with it.

I don't know how it would work trying to plug a usb dac into the usb port of a multimedia dock.
Try it and let us know, guinea pig :wink:

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #424 of 726
Just a heads up that I tested my Note 3 with a Yulong D100 and it works perfect.  Detects it as 96khz though.  Would rather it output 44.1khz and let the DAC do all the upsampling to be honest

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #426 of 726
  Got the Senn IE800 today, makes interesting listening on the Note...

Each volume level introduces a certain level of distortion / static - oddly 13 is the noisiest, and 14 / 15 cut the noise right down - not really sure what is going on there!

Hi Duncan, could you please elaborate a little as well as give us an update on your ie800 + GN3 experience? Any word on the distortion/static? Is this only with stock player?

I am a little disappointed in my GN3 performance; my gn2 with Wolfson DAC had a much wider soundstage and better imaging with Neutron Player and HiRes FLAC. This is with ATH11-LTD, SEN PMX680I and PXC 310 BT (both wired and AptX BT). My whole point in moving to GN2 was to drop DAC and Amp bundling, as I had used previously with iPhone4s, and the GN2 was working so well for me that I upgraded to the GN3 without anticipating a degradation in sound stage, though the GN3 does have higher output and the instrumentation is very accurate. 
 In the Note 3's defence, the IE800s are handled very well when using Neutron - Is incredible what this little combo can do...

So, my real question is, do you find the IE800 +GN3 combo sufficient? Or do you think amping/DAC are necessary?

I read through the IE800 thread (all 105 pages, lol) and am intrigued, so your input on the above topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #427 of 726
  Does anybody have some external hard drives they could test with the Note 3?
The Note 3 has a USB 3.0 connector.  Even though no USB 3.0 OTG, or Superspeed OTG, cables exist yet to my knowledge, it would still be very interesting to see what output current is available when using a USB 2.0 OTG cable.
It is conceivable that the Note 3 would allow for up to 500mA output power when using a USB 2.0 OTG cable.  If that were the case, it would be able to power the vast majority of DACs and portable external hard drives.
If the Note 3 is like other phones, it may have seriously gimped output power or 100mA or so.  If that were the case, then it will be relatively limited without the use of a USB OTG Y-cable and additional power source.

Tested my N9005 with my 2TB external hard drive (exFAT formatted) using a USB 2.0 OTG (not Y). It's working perfect.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #429 of 726
   Hi Duncan, could you please elaborate a little as well as give us an update on your ie800 + GN3 experience? Any word on the distortion/static? Is this only with stock player?

I am a little disappointed in my GN3 performance; my gn2 with Wolfson DAC had a much wider soundstage and better imaging with Neutron Player and HiRes FLAC. This is with ATH11-LTD, SEN PMX680I and PXC 310 BT (both wired and AptX BT). My whole point in moving to GN2 was to drop DAC and Amp bundling, as I had used previously with iPhone4s, and the GN2 was working so well for me that I upgraded to the GN3 without anticipating a degradation in sound stage, though the GN3 does have higher output and the instrumentation is very accurate.
So, my real question is, do you find the IE800 +GN3 combo sufficient? Or do you think amping/DAC are necessary?

I read through the IE800 thread (all 105 pages, lol) and am intrigued, so your input on the above topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Xpate...

Sorry for the delayed reply...

The distortion I heard only seems to be with the stock player, as mused in my previous post, going up the volume scale it seems that the sound tuning enhancement boosts the high frequencies, until approx. 12-13 on the volume, but then cuts off on 14-15...

Using Neutron, I cannot perceive the same thing happening...

With regards to if the GN3 is enough to drive the IE800 - given good enough source material (and - a decent enough player as well), then - yes, I get a VERY good sonic picture from this combination...  Of course, if you move up to the AK100 / AK120 or any other MQS based player, you may well get a better sound / combination, but - that is a whole lot of extra money you have to lay down...

One thing that surprises me about this combination - that I heard today, was how good the bass definition is - listening to the 'Dark Knight OST', first track, when the sub-bass kicks in a couple of minutes in - there is absolutely zero distortion (although it makes your ears feel funny - got to be said!) - I cannot believe that a mere mobile phone can push out that much power (although obviously, the IEMs themselves have a lot to do with that!)

I am a very happy person - with regards to this setup - however, as I've just mused in the IE800 thread, I would steer clear of 'hot' recordings, if you don't want your ears to melt from all the treble energy that the IE800 can dish out!

As to

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #430 of 726
sold my NOTe 3 because I was unsatisfied with the loudness through the headphones. Any one faced the same issue, i was afraid to ROOT it to try the different volume boosting apps

I just got my SM-N900T SnapDragon from T-Mobile US. I compare the sound with my old SGH-T889 using stock player, the note 2 volume is louder than Note 3 between 3 and 4 . For instance my note 2 volume is 5, I need to increase note 3 volume to 8 (a bit weaker than note 2) or 9 (a bit louder than note 2). There is a mod to boost the volume on note 3; however, I don't want to root my phone just for that. Any other good suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Test headphones: Denon AH-C300 and IE80, no EQ and both is Android 4.3

Great topics by the way.

Edited 12/18/2013: Change Exynox to SnapDragon

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #431 of 726
The Android hiss is killing me on the GN3. You guys have any solutions? In on the ATT version. I have tried it with both IE80 and Weston 3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #433 of 726
Right,That's with only net browsing and some movie watching. It's got a big battery, but if I use it to listen to music during the day to, from and during uni, I don't think I'll have enough battery to go on the net with it
MgMzZv

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #434 of 726
What sample rates will the Microstreamer achieve with using it with this phone? Do most DACs work with it, without USB audio recorder? Is this the phone for music, given I don't mind the size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back