Samsung Galaxy 5.0 reviews?
Apr 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

reticon

Head-Fier
Just curious if anyone is using this? I've been wanting a portable mp3 player for years, but with my own 30gb library and zero itunes files, I didn't want to be raped by Apple. The interface is great, just plug in and load up. Has its own built in player or you can get WinAmp as an App. I'm happy with the sound quality, but like I said this is my first device, I've been holding onto an old discman until now. Would love to hear others thoughts, and so on. :)

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 9
I guess I should have added, I didn't know about your recomended Cowon mp3 player or I probly would have bought it. This Samsung Galaxy 5.0 just sort of sold me fast as it is more like a mini tablet. Does a heck of a lot more than my wife's iPad.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Just curious if anyone is using this? I've been wanting a portable mp3 player for years, but with my own 30gb library and zero itunes files, I didn't want to be raped by Apple. The interface is great, just plug in and load up. Has its own built in player or you can get WinAmp as an App. I'm happy with the sound quality, but like I said this is my first device, I've been holding onto an old discman until now. Would love to hear others thoughts, and so on. :)

I like mine a lot. By the demanding standards of some of the hardcore "audiophiles" here, there are other things that sound better, especially with IEM's....but if you don't use IEM's, I think it sounds just fine. You can do a ton of stuff with it, and I liked it enough to also buy a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus as well. Battery life for music is amazing if the screen and wifi are off most of the time as well.

Instead of the built-in music player, I recommend PowerAmp. Not only is it louder, but it gives you a 10-band EQ to tinker with. PowerAmp and Rockbox are the two music players I use, and the MX video player app also is recommended.

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 9
I've heard the Galaxy 5.0 and it sounds a lot like my T-Mobile version Galaxy SII (SGH-T989).

I love my SII's sound with Poweramp 2. It's as if Poweramp uses the surround-sound that's horribly implemented by Android's own music player. The Poweramp sound is like when you use the front-rear fade control on your car system to hear the back speakers slightly over the front (depth moves back in your head).

My Shure SE535's normally strong forward mids are moved back in balance with the rest of the music (with an isolated lead singer). The vocals are so precise (and concise) and the tone sounds like I'd expect the actually singers to sound if they were in a small venue nearby and I was a bit away from the stage. I often rewind passages in songs because background singing harmony sounds so beautiful.

Of course, this is on the go listening for me. I'm not judging critical detail while driving the truck, although I do hear things I've never heard in a portable (with emphasis in instrumentation that I never noticed before). I notice stereo effects that make me go back and compare with my Apple DAPs and I say; oh yeah, it was there. It was just fuzzy and clustered into a small sound-stage, whereas, with the SII/SE535s the sound-stage is wide and deep. My AKG Q701s have nothing but height on the SII/SE535 combo sound-stage.

It's important to me that the synthesizer clap, snare drum lick, and lead singer aren't disproportionately louder (taller, blurry, and more upfront) than the rest of the instrumentation like with my Apple DAPs and my sister's iPhone 4s (using the 535s).

I can feel the contact made to percussion instruments, yet, not so much with the most upfront of those instruments (which may be part of the “musical” aspect of the Shure earphones). It's such a great characteristic in an otherwise noisy environment. Also, the bass (tube-like) resonance sound good even when the motor of the truck is particularly loud while changing gears. There's no competing going on.

I often listen at less than one/half of half volume (that right, ¼ volume). I recently realized that the reason I don't feel the need to turn the volume up is because I can hear everything at this level (layers/transparency/depth).

With my RockBox'd Clip+/FiiO E11/Q701 combo (at home in a quiet place) I have to turn the volume up to compensate for background singing that sometimes competes with other instrumentation. That combo sounds pretty good, but the vocals don't move me like the SII/SE535s do.

Sorry, I've got to stop posting like this (like it's an irrelevant off-subject word count contest).

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I like mine a lot. By the demanding standards of some of the hardcore "audiophiles" here, there are other things that sound better, especially with IEM's....but if you don't use IEM's, I think it sounds just fine. You can do a ton of stuff with it, and I liked it enough to also buy a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus as well. Battery life for music is amazing if the screen and wifi are off most of the time as well.

Instead of the built-in music player, I recommend PowerAmp. Not only is it louder, but it gives you a 10-band EQ to tinker with. PowerAmp and Rockbox are the two music players I use, and the MX video player app also is recommended.

Agreed for all points except the MX video player.  I haven't tried it yet, but thanks for the recommendation.  I have been using QQPlayer.  It's good...seems to play everything like VLC player does for the PC.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 9
    Had mine 2 months and love it!

Here are 2 sites for you that relate specifically to the Samsung Media Players

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1418

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=238

BTW - ICS 4.04 is being ported as we speak 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:

Thanks for the advice man, I haven't checked Rockbox and MX yet, but Poweramp is amazing. Lets me sort by folder too which is how I sort my music, all neat little folders I made in dos years ago. (which is also why I HATE ITUNES AND APPLES) hehe :)

The battery life is pretty insane with my stubborn self coming from a 4- hour Sony Discman to this, wow... to burn in my HD 25's I just left it on, up a little louder than I normally listen and a day later I decided to plug it in for recharge, truly amazing!

I don't like IEMS (just hate stuff inside my ear) but I would like to hear the difference in theCowon  player. My friend has a SoundBlaster X-Fi on his comp and it does sound a bit better than what is in my laptop for example.

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
    Had mine 2 months and love it!

Here are 2 sites for you that relate specifically to the Samsung Media Players

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1418

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=238

BTW - ICS 4.04 is being ported as we speak 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks for the links man! Wow, wish I'd found that site years ago, like "Anything but iPod" hehe, been my mantra for years, but I never knew what to do about it.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 9
I've heard the Galaxy 5.0 and it sounds a lot like my T-Mobile version Galaxy SII (SGH-T989).

I love my SII's sound with Poweramp 2. It's as if Poweramp uses the surround-sound that's horribly implemented by Android's own music player. The Poweramp sound is like when you use the front-rear fade control on your car system to hear the back speakers slightly over the front (depth moves back in your head).

My Shure SE535's normally strong forward mids are moved back in balance with the rest of the music (with an isolated lead singer). The vocals are so precise (and concise) and the tone sounds like I'd expect the actually singers to sound if they were in a small venue nearby and I was a bit away from the stage. I often rewind passages in songs because background singing harmony sounds so beautiful.

Of course, this is on the go listening for me. I'm not judging critical detail while driving the truck, although I do hear things I've never heard in a portable (with emphasis in instrumentation that I never noticed before). I notice stereo effects that make me go back and compare with my Apple DAPs and I say; oh yeah, it was there. It was just fuzzy and clustered into a small sound-stage, whereas, with the SII/SE535s the sound-stage is wide and deep. My AKG Q701s have nothing but height on the SII/SE535 combo sound-stage.

It's important to me that the synthesizer clap, snare drum lick, and lead singer aren't disproportionately louder (taller, blurry, and more upfront) than the rest of the instrumentation like with my Apple DAPs and my sister's iPhone 4s (using the 535s).

I can feel the contact made to percussion instruments, yet, not so much with the most upfront of those instruments (which may be part of the “musical” aspect of the Shure earphones). It's such a great characteristic in an otherwise noisy environment. Also, the bass (tube-like) resonance sound good even when the motor of the truck is particularly loud while changing gears. There's no competing going on.

I often listen at less than one/half of half volume (that right, ¼ volume). I recently realized that the reason I don't feel the need to turn the volume up is because I can hear everything at this level (layers/transparency/depth).

With my RockBox'd Clip+/FiiO E11/Q701 combo (at home in a quiet place) I have to turn the volume up to compensate for background singing that sometimes competes with other instrumentation. That combo sounds pretty good, but the vocals don't move me like the SII/SE535s do.

Sorry, I've got to stop posting like this (like it's an irrelevant off-subject word count contest).

How did you find sound stage and separation between Galaxy Player 5.0 vs Sansa Clip Plus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back