Samsung DVD-HD841
Sep 28, 2004 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

skiingemt

100+ Head-Fier
My Panasonic DVD RV31 died on me, and I went ahead and bought the Samsung DVD-HD841, figuring I'll want the SACD capability when I upgrade my receiver. Here is my full (audio) review: MY WIFE noticed how much better it sounds, without my prompting. She's never taken an interest in audio before.

There you have it, FWIW.

G

Sep 28, 2004 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 17
Sorry if I got your hopes up, I haven't had the time to do a full review yet, but my initial impressions are very positive. Compared to the Panasonic, I've noticed clearer highs, more open mids, better bass extension, and more precise imaging. Keep in mind, those are just my initial impressions, I'll try to put together a better evaluation as time permits. Unfortunately, I haven't run any high end sources through my (modest) system for comparison.
I'm not using what is supposed to be the best feature, which is the upscaling through the DVI output, since I don't have an HDTV. The output through both the Component video and the S-video is significantly clearer than the Panasonic, however.
I would also like to hear impressions on the player from anyone else here that has heard it.

G

Sep 28, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 17
Both the Samsung HD-841 and HD-941 with the Faroujda DCDi FLI-2310 chip are solid winners in my book for THE universal DVD player to be had for well under $300 USD. My research suggests this general assessment of both units. Congratulations on such a fine piece of equipment!

Sep 28, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks. Does she noticed an improvement on SACD? CD? or both?

From a post at AudioAsylum, Ric Shultz and other people noticed that these Samsung HD-841 has identical parts to the Toshiba SD-4960, which is a rebagged Samsung. The looks in the HD-841 are better..

Jose.

Sep 28, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 17
That is most certainly correct! Yeah, I got to give props to the Samsung HD-841/941. They look very minimalistic and stylish. Still very hard to topple for the sheer amount of features / flexibility for the dollar. This is a very high value universal DVD player but don't expect perfection...just darn good bang for your buck!
biggrin.gif

I wish more people would get excited about these two models. Solid winners in my book and my research suggests nothing but that conclusion...for now.

Sep 28, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 17
So far I've only listened to CD and DVD, I don't have a 5.1 receiver yet, so I can't use the SACD feature. BTW, is this the way it is with all SACD players? This player and the similarly priced Pioneer universal player only output 5.1 analog from the SACD/DVD-A layer. Do some players output a digital HD signal? I'm totaly new to HD formats, or not even that since I don't have any SACDs yet.

G

Sep 28, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 17
Through analog, you'll get either 2.0 or 5.1 sound depending on whether you connect a pair of stereo RCA jacks to the front left and right RCA out jacks or 5 + 1 cable through the full surround sound RCA out jacks.

If the Samsung HD-841 has IEEE1394, then one simple cable can connect to the receiver for pure 24bit or 1bit 192KHz or 2.8224MHz digital surround / stereo sound.

You got to find the internal setup configuration to your universal DVD player. It should allow you to output either 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc. or just pure 2.0 stereo. You have to get it to default to the stereo 2.0 channel output for DVD-Audio, Red Book CD, and SA-CD stereo layer.

Sep 29, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 17
I'm planning on getting the DVD-HD941 soon... so many things that I want to buy.
tongue.gif
I need a decent DVD-A player but don't want to spend too much so was waiting for the DVD-HD941 to be released.... where's the cheapest place to get one?

Sep 29, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiingemt
So far I've only listened to CD and DVD, I don't have a 5.1 receiver yet, so I can't use the SACD feature. BTW, is this the way it is with all SACD players? This player and the similarly priced Pioneer universal player only output 5.1 analog from the SACD/DVD-A layer. Do some players output a digital HD signal? I'm totaly new to HD formats, or not even that since I don't have any SACDs yet.

G

Actually, you can output SACD and DVD-A through either the 5.1 or the stereo analog outputs. And due to protection restrictions, you cannot output SACD or DVD-A through any of the digital outputs. Hope this helps.

Sep 29, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I'm planning on getting the DVD-HD941 soon... so many things that I want to buy.
tongue.gif
I need a decent DVD-A player but don't want to spend too much so was waiting for the DVD-HD941 to be released.... where's the cheapest place to get one?

It's a very long thread but you might want to check this out: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=Samsung+HD941

There is an AVS Forum Power Buy set for September 30th, 2004 with shipments arriving at the end of October 2004. I don't know more than those details. That might be one way you can ensure you get the unit at the lowest possible price.
cool.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 17
skiingemt,

Every SACD has a stereo mix. In fact, the multi-channel mix is optional. So even if you only have a 2 channel setup (be it speaker-based or headphone-based), every SACD will decode properly.

*Not familiar enough on DVD-A to comment on its 2 channel capabilities.

Sep 29, 2004 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
skiingemt,

Every SACD has a stereo mix. In fact, the multi-channel mix is optional. So even if you only have a 2 channel setup (be it speaker-based or headphone-based), every SACD will decode properly.

Well, that's the best news I've heard all day! Gotta get me some SACDs...

G

Oct 4, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 17
Are you kidding ... there's already a mods thread on this unit (actually the rebadged Toshiba SD4960) started at Audio Circle. BTW - the Toshiba can eb bought for $119 last time I checked, much cheaper than the Samsung 841.

Here's the mods link and my review/impressions:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...ic.php?t=12613

I agree, it is a fine sounding unit, especially for the price. Is it a giant killer ... well, probably not. Does it stack up well against some of the other recent giant killers (that came close) ... well, yes. It is cheap, cheap, cheap inside, but it still sounds damn good in stock form and much better after some basic mods. And it playes SACD and DVD-A to boot. The ergonomics of the remote and the user interface are not very good unless you have a TV hooked up (I use a portable DVD player when necessary).

Enjoy the mods thread and please leave your own feedback if you have something to contribute, good or bad.

Enjoy,
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back