Samson 850SR/SuperLux 668B - weak/soft bass ?
Jul 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

untranslated

New Head-Fier
I recently bought myself and my gf a 2 for one special on these headphones after reading and rereading many reviews. I had the choice one set of Siberia V2's or 2 of these. I decided to go for the Samson 850SR's due to everyones reviews.
As for comfort I love them, they are so light.
As for mids and highs, im 25 so the highs don't bother me due to hearing loss with age :D, cant hear anything over 19khz. So the music I usually listen to sounds amazing. Tool/Metallica/Within Temptation/Violin Solos. Bass sounds good everything else sounds awesome.
For Gaming I havnt played much since I got them yesterday, but battlefield sounds nice, going to test them on CS & Q3 to see how clearly I can hear the footsteps.

The problem I do have with them is that when I listen to music like dubstep ( I rarely listen to it but my gf loves it ), I can clearly hear the bass is ?weak?/?not deep enough?. I don't really know much about sound but I can hear there is something missing. Proven by comparing them over multiple bass drop songs vs my friends Original Beats by dre ( yes I understand these are a diffirent level of headphones and 10 times the price ) AND my other friends over ear Pioneer HDj-500. There is just something CLEARLY missing in the lower range. I then tested the lower 20hz-200hz with my and both their sets, again, it just doesn't make nearly as much sound and deep boom.
I am going be leaving my headset at work with some pink noise playing over the entire weekend and hope this makes a diffirence.
FYI, this is all playing out of the same port in either my PC or the works PC. So the platform im testing the headphones are all the same, Im happy with the bass on the other headphones, using the same port and the same EQ settings ( default Youtube ).

Any advice ? / Questions ?

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 14
The Samson SR850, made by Superlux and is a Chinese knock off of the AKG K240, is not a bassy headphone.

Try the Samson SR850 with a good portable audio player, see if there is a difference.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 14
The point remains, people keep saying its very bassy .. im not seeing it. I understand its not a 200$ headphone, and im happy with everything except the base on bassy songs.
Ill try them in ipod next week. Any other way maybe EQ settings to get deeper more booming base ?

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
The point remains, people keep saying its very bassy .. im not seeing it. I understand its not a 200$ headphone, and im happy with everything except the base on bassy songs.
Ill try them in ipod next week. Any other way maybe EQ settings to get deeper more booming base ?

I think you're confusing it with HD681 both from superlux, 668B is known to be a bright phone bordering on analytical.

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 14
Either those people don't know what they're talking about or they're justifying their purchase. I really wouldn't call 668B bass heavy (and I'm not even a basshead, the opposite actually), they can thump but they're sure to disappoint basshead, and they're going to remain like that regardless of source or amp. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Well I have a set of Samson 850's which I heard was the Superlux 668B . Which people say both have very good deep bass .

The SR850 and HD668B are close to the same.
But the SR850 is 32-Ohms and the HD668B is 56-Ohms.
I believe the HD668B has a lot more holes in the cups then the SR850.

The SR850 might need several more hours of break in time.
For break in I like to leave headphones plugged into my receiver, set to the Metal music channel, with the volume set above normal listening, leave them overnight (or two) under a blanket.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 14
Funny how u only hear about these thing AFTER you bought something. Like i said, it doesnt bother me all that much but my gf doesnt like them. Now i guess ill have to try and sell them to someone :D

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 14
So, I figured out why some people say these phones have weak bass/low end.

I plugged it into my cans into my PC, and compared it to my friends HDJ-500's and another friends Original Beats by Dre. My bass was weak in comparison using the same setup.

Today my one friend brought a small usb amp from Logitech that he got for free with a set of G330 gaming headphones. MY GOD, the diffirence is DAY and night. My mids and highs remain identical to my ears, but suddenly there is this amazing bass, not drowning bass, but more like its the exact right amount for every song I played on it.

Now my question is, where can I get this usb dongle, since the headphones are say $40 where im from, so I cant imagine that it would be too expensive. I was concidering a Fiio6 or whatever but that's $40 too.
Any suggestions ?

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
So, I figured out why some people say these phones have weak bass/low end.

I plugged it into my cans into my PC, and compared it to my friends HDJ-500's and another friends Original Beats by Dre. My bass was weak in comparison using the same setup.

Today my one friend brought a small usb amp from Logitech that he got for free with a set of G330 gaming headphones. MY GOD, the diffirence is DAY and night. My mids and highs remain identical to my ears, but suddenly there is this amazing bass, not drowning bass, but more like its the exact right amount for every song I played on it.

Now my question is, where can I get this usb dongle, since the headphones are say $40 where i'm from, so I cant imagine that it would be too expensive. I was considering a Fiio6 or whatever but that's $40 too.
Any suggestions ?

Best I can come up with is the Asus Xonar U3 USB/DAC/amp.
(It's a very low cost external sound card, USB input, DAC & and very basic head amplifier
It sells for $40, currently Amazon and Superbiiz offer a $10 mail in rebate for the month of July.

For a desktop PC setup, there is the Asus Xonar DG internal sound card, sells for $30 and Amazon is offering a $10 mail in rebate.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 14
Im based in south africa so unfortunately no amazon or ebay, i can however get those sound cards directly from a major national supplier for a similar price. Just going to exhaust my means of actually getting that logitec mini portable "amp", since it will be extremely cheap i think. But yes a Xonar DG was origonally an idea, till i read reviews that its pretty much pointless with today's onboard sound cards. 
Another problem is that i use my headphones at work more than i do at home, so i kinda need a portable amp ;[

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #12 of 14
Do you know if any Superlux headphones are availlable in South Africa? Really want them.
Im based in south africa so unfortunately no amazon or ebay, i can however get those sound cards directly from a major national supplier for a similar price. Just going to exhaust my means of actually getting that logitec mini portable "amp", since it will be extremely cheap i think. But yes a Xonar DG was origonally an idea, till i read reviews that its pretty much pointless with today's onboard sound cards. 
Another problem is that i use my headphones at work more than i do at home, so i kinda need a portable amp ;[

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #14 of 14
Right I'll look it up thanks! just wish more stores start stocking them and other models in the future.

I plan do use them for monitoring/mixing in my little future home studio, would you say it sounds flat and accurate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back