Same sad old story. My new RKV is HUMMING. Help!
Dec 27, 2001 at 5:18 PM Post #16 of 23
This supposedly was a brand new unit (I just got it) - though a couple of the top screws are pretty banged up & there was a fair amount of dust sprinkling the chassis. As for the voltage coming in, I appear to be usually on the high side: +120.

Dec 27, 2001 at 5:40 PM Post #17 of 23
For that kind of money I'd call or email Tash at Divergent and tell him you want the unit replaced. He's and upstanding guy and will make good on it! Also tell him that you think it is only fair that he reimburse you for the return shipping costs.

Dec 27, 2001 at 7:32 PM Post #18 of 23
Hissing, static, hum, interference, etc. is always been a side effect of the tube amps I've owned. They all do it to one extent or another. It is something I guess I've come to expect from tube amps. I live with it because there is not a solid state that I've heard that can compare with the sound of tubes.

Dec 27, 2001 at 9:36 PM Post #19 of 23
The fact that the previous RKV was silent in what I'm assuming is that very same place in your home that the current one is in. I've had very good contacts with Tash, tho on my latest visit the DIvergent web site didn't have a AUdio Valve section anymore, I think they are no longer carrying them. Divergent was the seller tho and should replace a defective item at their cost.

Dec 28, 2001 at 2:54 AM Post #20 of 23
Wow, Bear, you are indeed wise. I hadn't noticed that Divergent has dropped Audiovalve from their site. That can't bode well for my getting a replacement. Don't much care for how this thing is shaping up (Audiovalve hasn't answered my emails, though I know they've been read - an AOL thing). Geez, just wanted to make a simple purchase & enjoy it. Who needs this aggravation?

Dec 28, 2001 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 23
I'm not too sure how wise, I have an RKV Mark II coming tommorow i got on ebay. We'll see id I have the same problems your experiencing
confused.gif

Dec 28, 2001 at 6:23 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by WIJGALT
Acid: You seem to be pretty nonchalant about the hiss you're experiencing from your RKV. The objective of high-end audio is to attempt to reproduce the music as accurately as possible. The creation of a dark, silent background is a crucial aspect of that pursuit. Any noise will compromise the reproduction of the music at those frequencies, not to mention, of course, compromisimg the pleasure of musical listening by acting as an irritant. And this is all the more critical when it comes to headphone listening where potentially you hear everything. Noise, any noise really, from a $1300 headphone amp is inexcusable.

I disagree. This amp is hissy on V6/7506's, but quite tolerably so on Senn HD600's and Beyer DT770Pro's. The benefits far outweigh the costs.

You also need to be aware (as I've mentioned in another RKV related thread) that there are different types of noise -- and this is definitely not one of the more annoying varieties (E.G. dither is very annoying to me).

Accuracy is good -- and the RKV has it, less the background noise -- but musicality is better -- and the RKV has that, too.

Dec 29, 2001 at 10:15 PM Post #23 of 23
I don't know if this helps much, but I got my RKV Mk II yesterday, igot it on Ebay, not used but obviously not the latest model (it has slats on the sides not the front). THeres is no hint of dust inside the thing at all. If im stupid enough ( and i have been) to fire it up with the cans attached there is all kinds of nasty popping and noise and aloud persistant hum. Two of times i did this (3 in all) the humming died out as the tubes stabilized after firing, the third time the humming died out the moment i brushed the HP output jack with my hand. I am no electronics whizz, but it sure sounds liek you got a lemon and need redress by replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back