Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Sep 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #211 of 217
Would you have a amp and DAC in the same box, too?

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #213 of 217

Quote:
"hybrid statement amp."

very much looking forward to this.

x2. I am actually looking to get a hybrid amp, preferably balanced.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #215 of 217
Quote:
Here are the questions:

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

1. I have a pair of headphones that I could recable balanced if i so desired, my LCD-2s.
2. I am looking for a balanced amp in the future, but as a student I really can't afford one at the moment.
3. It's relatively important from an ergonomic perspective, because while some prefer a completely balanced dual-XLR output, others will not be able to deal with the extra heft of another XLR plug at the end of their cables.
4. Extremely important. Not everyone can afford to balanced-recable all their cans at once. I would not purchase an amp if it could not serve both my summit-fi balanced cans and my mid-fi single-ended cans.
5. It is just as important to me, personally, because I am no of the type to buy a reference balanced amp and then turn around and buy another to get the best single-ended performance. If i purchase a balanced amp, I expect it to be an endgame amp that satisfies all my needs (perhaps except for ridiculous variety in impedance, which is perfectly understandable if it cant be addressed)

Kojaku

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #216 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Sennheiser HD 650
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? Dual 3 pin is fine. 4 Pin would be nice but the lack of a 4 pin would not be a deal breaker.
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? Not important.

As a consumer it would feel like I'm purchasing a product that had extra cost put in for something I wouldn't use it for. My personal belief is that a balanced setup should be separate from a non balanced setup.

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #217 of 217
My HD600s could be converted to balanced easily, it wouldn't really bother me if it was 2 three pin XLRs or one 4 pin, either would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back