Same headphone, different ohms?
Nov 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

omigawsh_lollercoaster

100+ Head-Fier
Example: DT880 600, 250, 32 ohm. Why, what's the difference?
confused.gif

And what's the deal with Frequency Response?

Average hearing is 20 - 20K approx from what I looked up, so what's better about lower and much higher FR if anything?

Science n00b here.
redface.gif

happy_face1.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 10
The different versions of the DT880 use different drivers, so the impedance is different. Cosmetically, they are the same.

There is some evidence that humans are sensitive to overtones beyond what is conventionally thought to be our threshold. From a sound quality perspective, I do not really know, but perhaps drivers with broad frequency responses also have a more flat response within our hearing range.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 10
In terms of what's better in the FR, I think it's totally subjective and personal. Some people like great mids and don't care about roll off in the bass and treble. Some people like, and some people hate, thumping bass. Some people are very sensitive to spikes in the treble.

The DT880 250 ohm is a good example. I consider it a bassy headphone. A lot of people think it's weak in the bass. A lot of people think it has harsh treble because of spikes. My older ears can't hear those spikes so it sounds pretty smooth to me.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 10
ideally a voice coil can be wound with the sme weight of conductor but differing # turns (and corresponding wire size) and have exactly the same sensitivity (in dBa re mW), dynamics, frequency response

the effect is the same as including an ideal transformer to adjust the impedance

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ideally a voice coil can be wound with the sme weight of conductor but differing # turns (and corresponding wire size) and have exactly the same sensitivity (in dBa re mW), dynamics, frequency response

the effect is the same as including an ideal transformer to adjust the impedance

What is or is there a difference between a coil wound with X number of turns versus a coil with Y (lesser) number of turns?

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 10
So fewer windings~lower impedance (the length of a conductor is proportional with its resistance). Fewer windings leads to less influence on the magnet, and higher current is needed to compensate for this?

Therefore high ohm: more voltage less current, low ohm: vice versa?

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 10
as long as the total cross section/weight of conductor doesn't change in a dynamic driver's voice coil then the the electro-mechanical properties like damping ratio, BI product are exactly the same except for the change in scale factor with the impedance change

the change in terminal impedance can make for a response change when driven from a amp with higher output impedance like OTL tube amps

but when driven from a low impedance voltage source like most SS amps the response should be unchanged for differing # turns, impedance - the ratio of V to I (Z = V/I) required from the amp does change

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as long as the total cross section/weight of conductor doesn't change in a dynamic driver's voice coil then the the electro-mechanical properties like damping ratio, BI product are exactly the same except for the change in scale factor with the impedance change

the change in terminal impedance can make for a response change when driven from a amp with higher output impedance like OTL tube amps

but when driven from a low impedance voltage source like most SS amps the response should be unchanged for differing # turns, impedance - the ratio of V to I (Z = V/I) required from the amp does change

I'm not saying your wrong, because it's been too long since I've taken physics. Every thing I can find on line is saying that the the number of turns effects the strength of the magnetic field, which would change the inductive resistance. Can you provide a link that talks about conductor cross section and weight? Again, I don't doubt you're right, I just like to read about this stuff to learn as much as possible.

BTW, I had read on a thread here that the 250 ohm Beyers use round wire and the 600 ohm Beyers use flat wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back