Same category headphones as AKG k414p ?
Jan 19, 2009 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Squirsier

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, the cables on my beloved q-jays finally almost ripped off the earpieces, and I am awaiting warranty info from Jays' support (hopefully it is covered...), so meanwhile I have been using the AKG k414p as my backup pair of headphones.

While the sound, to my ears, isn't as good as the q-jays, I like bass-heavy headphones (altho, in all truth, I could do with a bit less from the k414p and not mind at all) and I was wondering, in the same category, ie, closed-back, small earcups portable, with good treble energy (ie, no dark headphones, please
smily_headphones1.gif
), what models from other companies would be found here? Nevermind the price for the moment...

I know AKG released the k450, which look really nice, but I read from another thread that the drivers are the same as the old generation, leading me to think they'd sound exactly the same as the k414p...

Same sound, for a pair of headphones I initially paid 49$ for, but going for 100+ Euros, not really a good deal
wink.gif

So once again I ask the good crew at head.fi for some help chosing a new, closed-back, small earcup portable headphone...

Bass as to be present but not necessarily as heavy as with the k414p (I really enjoy the bass out of the q-jays, if that can serve as a reference). The treble has to be sparkling bright too, w/o being sibilant. I can live with slightly recessed mids, and there has to be a bit of soundstage too...

Anything fits that description?
biggrin.gif

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 10
Different sound sig/better sound yeah. The mids on the k414p are slightly, huh, "nasal", so something that would sound better in that departement but not necessarily more "forward".

If that makes sense... heh

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 10
Hmm, this is harder than I expected. ATH SQ5 would be a slight upgrade SQ-wise, but a downgrade isolation-wise. I remember SQ5 to be clearer than K26P (old K414P), and with better highs. ES7 would be more of a bump up SQ-wise, but are larger than the K414P. I went from K26P to HD25 1 II, but it's a hug bump price-wise, it's wayyy less discrete, and you'll be getting a similar sound sig. Much, much better, of course, but similar in that both are dark cans. (OK, maybe not that similar then...) My HD25s isolate real well, as K26P did, and are slightly larger but a lot more geeky-looking. I'm about to get ESW9, and these are the opposite of the K26P (from what I've read) in terms of sound and isolation abilities.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, this is harder than I expected. ATH SQ5 would be a slight upgrade SQ-wise, but a downgrade isolation-wise. I remember SQ5 to be clearer than K26P (old K414P), and with better highs. ES7 would be more of a bump up SQ-wise, but are larger than the K414P.

Thank you very much for your answer. I just started looking in depth about the SQ5, and then the ES7. I'd be curious to know, sizewise, how the ES7 compares to the DT770 Pro I own (which are bulky).

The SQ5 has a cool looking design, been reading a few pros/cons from some other threads here.

As for the Senns, don't think I'm enough of a fan of them to buy another pair. Not been really pleased so far with any that I own(ed) so...

Looking more into the ES7... to be followed..
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Oh lordie, they're a good sight smaller than the DT770s. Thinner headband, smaller and flatter cups. Much more discrete, certainly. And pretty to boot. Rather different sound sig. from the K414 too. Only thing is they don't isolate as well, and many find them less than comfy. I'd buy them over the SQ5, though.

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Oh lordie, they're a good sight smaller than the DT770s. Thinner headband, smaller and flatter cups. Much more discrete, certainly. And pretty to boot. Rather different sound sig. from the K414 too. Only thing is they don't isolate as well, and many find them less than comfy. I'd buy them over the SQ5, though.

Thanks again for the time you took to answer my questions. I have read more extensively about the ES7 here and I decided to give them a chance
smily_headphones1.gif
I have been very lucky with fit with all kinds of headphones, so I hope my lucky streak will continue
smily_headphones1.gif
Foldable, which is really helpful when I want to put them in my backpack (aka my "nerd bag" to my girlfriend) and the size just looks good enough. I'm ready to sacrifice a bit of isolation, so that shouldn't be a big issue... Curious to know how they isolate vs k414p
biggrin.gif

I'll post my comments as soon as I receive them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Excellent! Am looking forward to hearing your comparisons.

I got my pair today (warehouse123.com sure ships fast
biggrin.gif
), and upon opening them, I was already satisfied : right size (as you said, not really big!), they fit my head fine, and when I booted up my iPod to hear my "headphone test" playlist, everything turned out to be better than I thought it would be, even before any serious burn-in done! Ever aspect of the frequency range appeals to my ears a lot, great highs, mids and excellent bass (much better than the k414p, less boomy, much more tight, as heard in Mo-Shic's Drongo song). Isolation is actually way better than I anticipated, these will do nicely for their use!

Great looks too
biggrin.gif
All in all, very satisfied here, thank you very much again for the recommendation
smily_headphones1.gif

Update : Wow, Trifonic's Emergence track, from the album of the same name, gave me goose bumps, same for Eat Static's Pharaoh... Great soundstage too! Only *small but oh so small* thing I noticed is some cable microphonics... But I have some shirt clips I might try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back