Sam & Max fans, cross your fingers...
Aug 2, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 15
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was a startup adventure game company that tried to negotiate to get the Sam and Max 2 game from Lucasarts but that fell through. I would pester Steve Purcell with more e-mails but I think the restraining order is still in effect.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by djgustashaw
I'm kinda confused. I thought there was supposed to be new a Sam and Max game sometime last year? Did that one fall through?

yes

I would still like to get the original version...
frown.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by djgustashaw
I'm kinda confused. I thought there was supposed to be new a Sam and Max game sometime last year? Did that one fall through?

yes... AND IT WAS VERY NEAR COMPLETION

of all the insanely moronic things for a publisher to do... they cancelled a game that could have been RELEASED within a few months...

Aug 3, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
where is this from again?

lucas arts right? They were in one game and had an off shoot or somethign right?

Actually, Sam & Max started out as a comic created by Steve Purcell. Lucasarts then picked up the rights and made the Sam & Max: Hit the Road PC adventure game. After a while, the pair got picked up and aired on Fox in a kids cartoon show that lasted something like 20 episodes.

As stated above, Lucasarts was almost set to release a sequel to the first game, when they decided to pull the plug. In the article I linked to, we find out that Steve Purcell has finally wrested the license out of Lucasarts' moneygrubbing hands and now has control again over his beautiful creation.

Sep 16, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
yes... AND IT WAS VERY NEAR COMPLETION (...)

Yeah, that really sucked.

But just btw, has anyone tried Psychonauts (http://www.psychonauts.com/)?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 16, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 15
Its that hard to get a copy of the original Sam and Max game? Doesn't Lucasarts still sell it as part of a Classics package or something?

Sam and Max had to be my fav Lucasarts adventure game, even topping the original Monkey Island and Full Throttle.

Sucks that they canned both the Sam and Max sequel AND the second Full Throttle game.

Sep 17, 2005 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 15
I don't get LucasArts these days. They pull the plug on a game that probably would sell extremely well. But they don't hesitate to realese one crappy Star Wars game after another. Jedi Knight 2 was pretty good in the day but most of the recent titles just doesn't reach that high quality one has come to expect from a company like LucasArts. (But I do think their upcoming RTS, Empire at War looks pretty interesting, hope they don't fumble the ball on that one too)

I'm not a fan of nosthalgia but in this case things really were better in the past...

Sep 17, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 15
I rather like some of Lucasarts Star Wars games. Republic Commando was a great SW entry into the standard FPS genre (i consider Jedi Knight to be more 3rd person, always in lightsabre mode).

Battlefront 2 on the horizon looks amazing as well. They do need more adventure games though. Last good one I remember was Grim Fandango, and that must be at least 6 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back