Salt Lake City Meet Pictures
Feb 7, 2010 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CherryBomb

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks to everyone who came, and especially to Eric for bringing so many great headphones and DIY amps.

meet9.jpg

meet8.jpg

meet7.jpg

meet6.jpg

meet5.jpg

meet13.jpg

meet12.jpg

meet11.jpg

meet10.jpg

meet1.jpg

meet2.jpg

meet3.jpg

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 16
here's a nice clean rig, here's way too much gear on Eric's table, here's another nice clean rig, here's some more of the way too much gear on Eric's table . . .

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 16
For me the headphone of the night was the Koss ESP-950. Smooth, quick and nimble. Deadly accurate, but very musical. Listening to Miles Davis on this phone was so "there" that I thought I could smell the smoke in the room. Who knew Koss knew how to make great phones? Not me.

Another great phone was Eric's AKG 500... its a franken-500 created from various bits of pieces of other 500s. Really open, with an emphasis on mids and treble.

The vintage DT880s were also something special. Think of the 2005-version DT880s, then subtract out all the unnecessary bass. And it was good on rock too. This is fantastic, killer phone, and its a damn shame they don't make them anymore.

Eric's Bajou was also something interesting. Smooth and syrupy are two words that come to mind. Definately a different sound signature versus my EHHA.

And don't get me started on Eric's DIY speaker amp. Listening to those Koss stats on that rig was a true pleasure.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 16
Oh, the amp you're referring to in the last line is the prototype eXStatA solid state direct-drive amp for electrostatic headphones.

The final version of the SS eXStatA theoretically has slightly less distortion at the very far extremes of it's output. In theory these amps have a maximum voltage output of about 1kv peak to peak, and the prototype version has a simple resistive load biasing the output parts, and this means that at ear-bleeding volume it *might* clip, but I've never heard it go into clipping. The final version has a CCS, and in theory gets closer to 1kvpp without clipping. Again, this is all theory - it's very hard to actually measure this kind of amp.

I wish i could have brought the hybrid eXStatA prototype. I'll get it cased up and bring it along to the next SLC meet.

I think the Bijou is a very special amp that just doesn't get enough recognition. Alex says there is far too large of a gap between the number of board sets and kits sold and the number of people who claim to have actually heard them. I think a lot of people start to build them and then get nervous at the prospect of actually dealing with a high voltage tube amp that really literally can kill you dead if you disrespect it in the wrong way before everything is neatly encased (tubes excepted, of course).

The Bijou is my bed-side amp, because it's just sooo relaxing.

As for other gear - i'm really glad i finally got to hear the HE-5 - an outstanding headphone and worthy of all the praise I've seen for it. If i could spend $600 on a pair of headphones without the cognitive dissonance that would cause for a cheap person like myself, I'd be buying one right now.

Also very interesting to compare the dbel84-damped T10 with my own, and it was great to finally hear an EHHA. That's a fantastic, no-nonsense amp.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like a great time was had by all. BTW, what amp is ...

meet2.jpg

That's my Bijou.

I'm not a big fan of the whole bottlehead look. I understand why people like it, I just don't share the affection.

The enclosure used to be a Dukane speaker, probably intended as a wall-mount unit in a hallway. I've got another just like it that i haven't used yet. Not sure what to put in it.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 16
Hey guys,

Thanks for the great meet! Big thanks to cherrybomb for hosting, we couldn't have done it without you.

I really enjoyed cherrybomb's D7000 (wow, tons of bass but definitely detailed) and HE-5, as well as random offerings from Eric's collection! I remember the AKG K500 most and the phone in the 6th picture (I can't remember what it was called but it had a real open/speakerlike presentation).

I liked both cherrybomb's singlepower amp and andy777's woo audio 6, so now i'm looking for my own tube amp! i think it will make my hd650s sound even better

great pics too

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyzone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really enjoyed cherrybomb's D7000 (wow, tons of bass but definitely detailed) and HE-5, as well as random offerings from Eric's collection! I remember the AKG K500 most and the phone in the 6th picture (I can't remember what it was called but it had a real open/speakerlike presentation).

The one that's pictured is a PMB (Peerless/Mikrofon-Bau) 100. what you listened to is an MB (Mikrofon-Bau) Quart QP85. They have almost the same frame. The PMB100 is orthodynamic but not yet tweaked to full potential (and it's full potential may be a disappointment due to design constraints in the driver) - the QP85 is a dynamic, but a good one. Don't let the numbers and prefixes confuse you - MB was MB under both Peerless and Quart (and for a long time under Maxxsonics) and the QP85 is just the Quart version of the PMB-85.

That whole line is descended directly from the Jecklin Float - the frame was designed by Joerg Jecklin - but the real pearls in the PMB / MBQuart floats are the QP85 Dual Action (with dual dynamic drivers on each side) and the PMB-500 electrostatic.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 16
Thanks. I still need to paint it, and get some nicer knobs.

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one that's pictured is a PMB (Peerless/Mikrofon-Bau) 100. what you listened to is an MB (Mikrofon-Bau) Quart QP85. They have almost the same frame. The PMB100 is orthodynamic but not yet tweaked to full potential (and it's full potential may be a disappointment due to design constraints in the driver) - the QP85 is a dynamic, but a good one. Don't let the numbers and prefixes confuse you - MB was MB under both Peerless and Quart (and for a long time under Maxxsonics) and the QP85 is just the Quart version of the PMB-85.

That whole line is descended directly from the Jecklin Float - the frame was designed by Joerg Jecklin - but the real pearls in the PMB / MBQuart floats are the QP85 Dual Action (with dual dynamic drivers on each side) and the PMB-500 electrostatic.

Oh that's what it was! Well I liked the sound of it, even if the design is really, um, unique!

I'm glad that mrarroyo didn't know what the Bijou was either. i was a little confused when that bad boy was brought out!

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 16
Some cool gear!

What is the thing with the meters here?

meet8.jpg

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #15 of 16
I had a really good time at this, thanks to everyone involved and especially CherryBomb. Unfortunately with me leaving early and arriving late, coupled with me being so awestruck and hogging the HE-5, I didn't get to hear all the stuff I wanted to. I can't decide which was the bigger star for me, the HE-5's or that sweet ugly amp of Eric's. It made my wa6 feel very inadequate.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back