Salon's Take on the Nano
Sep 9, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie
Note: I do not own an Ipod, and unless someone manages a way to get one working in such a way that I can use it as easily as my I5, I won't touch one with my own money. However, like the current Walkmans, it is hard to deny that they are good products for what they do (and both Apple and Sony definitely have the uniqueness thing down), and that many people don't mind artificially proprietary technology.

You mean we mindless millions will have to endure without you? I hope we hapless iPod fans can at least turn to you for advice from time to time.
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
You mean we mindless millions will have to endure without you? I hope we hapless iPod fans can at least turn to you for advice from time to time.
tongue.gif

Yes, mindless one, you must endure these hardships, because you are of weak mind. Repent; shun all that you once knew! Become one of the Army of...well, I'm not that far into my taking over the world plans, yet. I'm pretty sure it will use cult brainwashing techniques, though. Want to be a beta tester for it when I'm a bit farther along?
biggrin.gif

Now, if Apple released a gapless solid-state Ipod, I could handle having to use extra software to transfer stuff all day long, and would be just another face in the throng.

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
People forget, even then the ipod did not really start selling at high level and only hit critical mass with the mini which to date is by far the best selling ipod. I wish I could remember where I saw this, but apple supposedly sold about 30,000 1st gen and 2nd gen, and 100,000 or so 3rd gen models. The first million seller was the mini.

Just curious where you are getting your sales numbers, which by the way seem seriously flawed. According to Engadget the 1st gen sold (only) 125,000 in it's first two months, and it was a mac only product back then. While the mini is the best seller I disagree that the mini was the first to hit critical mass. I think most agree that the 4th gen iPod was the critical mass point.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000337057889/

Sep 9, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
Just curious where you are getting your sales numbers, which by the way seem seriously flawed. According to Engadget the 1st gen sold (only) 125,000 in it's first two months, and it was a mac only product back then. While the mini is the best seller I disagree that the mini was the first to hit critical mass. I think most agree that the 4th gen iPod was the critical mass point.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000337057889/

mea culpa, i made a typo. i meant to type 130000 for the first and second and second gen models. I am trying to find those numbers but it was in trade mag (which does not make it right either, so yes I agree the numbers might be off)

Even endgadget's chronolgy is flawed though. Apple did release a 10gb version that used the mechanical scroll wheel which my sister still has and uses.

lastly the 4th gen was released after the original mini.

Who knows...... having a 5gb (and over paying for it), i was always looking for them like many here do with headphones. I did not see ipods on joe or jane public in any kind of numbers until the mini

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #20 of 28
Here's my take on the nano,

"I be liking it, very very good"
k1000smile.gif

Really apple just has that un-gadget gadget look!

like the Scandanavian furniture, simple form and function. In fact I would say apples nano is very "zen" like. God, I crack myself up good sometimes
blink.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
Even endgadget's chronolgy is flawed though. Apple did release a 10gb version that used the mechanical scroll wheel which my sister still has and uses.

They also left out the 3G 20gig version also. Oh didn't that mechanical scroll wheel feel great. I understand why they changed but none of the new ones will ever feel as good as the mechanical one.

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Oh didn't that mechanical scroll wheel feel great. I understand why they changed but none of the new ones will ever feel as good as the mechanical one.

That we can completely agree upon: from a tactile feel and use stand point that still is the best ipod. My new nano comes close though, and the cool gadget factor is off the charts

Sep 10, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

They also left out the 3G 20gig version also. Oh didn't that mechanical scroll wheel feel great. I understand why they changed but none of the new ones will ever feel as good as the mechanical one.

The downside of the mechanical wheel was that you had to physically touch it. I prefer mechanical buttons and a touch-sensitive scroll wheel that can be easily operated through a silicon case or the fabric of a shirt pocket (or both).

Sep 10, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 28
Should have stopped reading after he said he was unimpressed by the original ipod. C'mon, this guy simply does not care about mp3 players. It's a portable device, people. Form matters. I wonder what cell phone he carries around. The devices that creative was making at the time were designed to look like a PCDP. How lame was that? <yes, yes the firmware was great>.
If you were the least bit interested in portable mp3 players you had to be impressed by the deck-of-cards size of the 1G ipod and the mechanical scroll wheel. Significantly cooler than anything that had previously been made. You could bitch about price but the guy was given his for free... jeez. And he was suprised when it was popular? For a guy that likes Tivo so much it's suprising that he doesn't get it. In my opinion Tivo is the ipod/itunes of the digital vcr world. It's a slick package that most people prefer to the cheaper alternatives.

I agree with the original poster that he totally missed the point. The word "flash" isn't even in the article. There's no point in talking about the nano if the issue of flash vs. hard drive isn't addressed.

If apple simply was treading water then they would have just redesigned the mini case instead of making the fairly challenging move to "affordable" 4gb flash memory. In addition, it's a pretty aggressive business move to overtake the flash market. I was impressed.

I have to say that the nano has really suprised me. I hadn't even considered getting a player at that size and now I'm debating whether or not I really need 20gb. (this from a guy with 60gb of music and expanding).

For those who were unimpressed what exactly is going to knock your socks off?

Sep 10, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

I understand why they changed but none of the new ones will ever feel as good as the mechanical one.

My mechanical wheel felt much better before I took it to a beach than after.
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #26 of 28
A couple things about the Nano from my perspective, which I got yesterday...and I'm not an Apple fan at this point, having had a mini, and not liking it that much. For me, the size is a major improvement. I had a 1st gen mini, which after having a few weeks, I thought, what's the point of it...it's not that much smaller than the regular Ipod. It's still somewhat obtrusive for certain uses..why not just get a full size Ipod. I have been wanting something very small that is unobtrusive with decent capacity, and this fits the bill. The difference between 6gb and 4gb is sort of negligible, imo, because I have way more than that amount of music anyway, so there's always going to be a trade off for smaller size, in which case, the smaller the better. The thinness, imo, is a major positive factor, since when something is in my pocket, the length and width does not become as obtrusive as having something thats thick. That and the light weight. THickness and weight are the key issues of importance for size imo. I kind of like that its somewhat tall and wide, since its easier to hold and navigate than some small flash players that I've used.

I have a small Samsung mp3 player which I like a lot, but its only 256mb and is much thicker than the Nano, if shorter and narrower, and it was like 100 dollars just a few months ago, making a 4gb flash player with a really nice screen for 250 quite a bargain. And the extra features on the Samsung are nice I guess, but I have never used them, except the line-in recording, one time, and the sound quality was crap. For me, and I think a lot of people, the point of these players is to have a playback device that is small, not one with lots of extra features. Obviously a functional eq would be nice, but I'm finding it to sound quite good as it is, and I don't tend to use eq anyway in general. And in the past, I've never been once to get excited about color screens, but I have to say, it's pretty nice...much more legible than the screen that was on the mini.

Sep 11, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #27 of 28
The major thing that deters me from the nano is: The crappy cappy EQ, and the bass roll off the ipods seem to have at lower freqs.

Even with the bass roll off, if it had some sort of useable good EQ I'd buy one.

Sep 11, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemos
The major thing that deters me from the nano is: The crappy cappy EQ, and the bass roll off the ipods seem to have at lower freqs.

Even with the bass roll off, if it had some sort of useable good EQ I'd buy one.

I've been doing some listening, and I actually don't think the nano has much of a bass rolloff. It does a tiny bit, but nothing like the other iPods (other than the shuffle, which I haven't heard). Plus, the rest of the spectrum really sounds quite good. Highs are clean and open and mids are very neutral and accurate, and the bass is deep and extended (as long as you have easy to drive phones). It sounds TONS better than my brother's 2G iPod mini. Overall, I'm quite happy with the sound quality, and I wasn't even expecting it to sound very good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back