Jan 19, 2009 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

deify

New Head-Fier
biggrin.gif

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=637766
or
³ö´ó°Â ¶ú»ú´ó¼Ò̳ ¶ú»ú,¶úÈû,¶ú»ú·Å´óÆ÷,ËæÉíÌý,DIY,ÒôÀÖ

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 16
Are you selling these or posting for general awareness?

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 16
As much as I love High-end Audio, I rather buy a new car and upgrading it to race than buy that thing.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 16
Well - there were only 300 made.

Very Limited Edition.

Collectors only now and I don't think many come up for sale - you get what someone is willing to pay.

I just wish I could have justified the price at the time - anyway, now we have the HD 800 instead.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 16
I use to work for a very hi-end audio dealer in Dallas that had the Orpheus on demo for a short while, and let me tell you it was AMAZING.

We also sold Stax at the time, and they had nothing that even came close to sounding as good. Man was it beautiful to look at to boot! The photos dont do it justice.

Unfortunatelly, the Orpheus was made durring a time when manufacturers still believed in building a statement piece just to show that they could and not just to make money. I'm afraid those days are long gone!

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHW1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use to work for a very hi-end audio dealer in Dallas that had the Orpheus on demo for a short while, and let me tell you it was AMAZING.

We also sold Stax at the time, and they had nothing that even came close to sounding as good. Man was it beautiful to look at to boot! The photos dont do it justice.

Unfortunatelly, the Orpheus was made durring a time when manufacturers still believed in building a statement piece just to show that they could and not just to make money. I'm afraid those days are long gone!

Many of those 'statement' pieces were basically research projects that expanded their methods which lead to improvements on lower line products. It wasn't just a 'hey look what I made'. I believe with high end computer modeling today statement pieces are no longer truly necessary, except to show off.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well - there were only 300 made.

Very Limited Edition.

Collectors only now and I don't think many come up for sale - you get what someone is willing to pay.

There were two sets available here recently, for around $14K. Still expensive but not outlandish like this set.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many of those 'statement' pieces were basically research projects that expanded their methods which lead to improvements on lower line products. It wasn't just a 'hey look what I made'. I believe with high end computer modeling today statement pieces are no longer truly necessary, except to show off.

Exactly.......to show off and draw attention to their other products.

How may HD series of cans do you think were sold after someone saw or even by chance got to hear these things? I know we sold SEVERAL HD-580s (as well as Stax systems) after our little demo night. The guys that heard the Orpheus, many of whom had very high end home systems commented that they never really gave headphones a thought until they heard these, and many purchased their first high end cans as a direct result.

Edit: Why do you think a company such as Ferarri build cars like the F40, F50, and Enzo? To draw attention to their other products and the company.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHW1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Why do you think a company such as Ferarri build cars like the F40, F50, and Enzo? To draw attention to their other products and the company.
smily_headphones1.gif

Bad, bad, bad, bad example. Just terrible....

Ferrari doesn't need to make those cars to draw attention, they have been drawing attention internationally since the 40's.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 16
I might go $20K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back