[Sale Buy] Recommendations ~100€ ($£) - List - No listening possible
Jul 18, 2014 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

eXniHiLo

New Head-Fier
Dear All,

I have been reading a lot of reviews here and there, have been going through this amazingly interested and enriching forum but due to my inexperience in the field of Audio headphones, I would like to get your advice on which headphones I could get for 60-100€ (ok, 110 if needed
normal_smile .gif
)

I already made a shortlist, but as mentioned, I have ABSOLUTELY no possibility to listen to them (or maybe I just did not find a store where I can try them out yet), so if you could just tell me what your best pick is and why (clearer sound, better homogeneity, comfort ..), or another one if it is not in my list.

Use: Music 65% - Movie 35% (I have a mid range gaming headset already)
Music: 40% Classic (mainly sonata, duo ,trio, sometimes orchestra) - 50% Electro (electroswing, chillstep, deep house, electrodub, that kind of stuff. No hardcore "inaudible" dubstep), 10% rest (Cypress Hill, Wes Montgomery, Movie OST ...)
Price Range: ~100€
Important characteristics: Comfortable (My current headphones grate (sry if not the appropriate word) my hears after a long session), Solid (don't wanna have a broken plastic part after 3 months of use), Over-ear (on-ear if better by far).
List of selected products (on sales):
- Audio Technica  ATH-M50 (90€ White, 100€ Black)
- Logitech UE6000 (90€)
- Sony MDR-7506 (90€)
- AKG K451 (63€), K452 (68€)

This is somewhat in order, AKGs being way cheaper but maybe the extra € would be worth paying for.

For example, maybe I get it wrong, but I removed the Grado sr80i because a lot of reviews praised it but the - - - aspect was the comfort and the "sound-leak". I read about KRK but could not get reviews / comparisons with the aforementioned headphones

I tried to be as clear and concise as possible, but do not hesitate to ask me for any other information you may need.

Thanks for your help and your advice.

eXniHiLo

edit: I forgot that I may be able to hit Sennheiser's mid range next week for a good price (like the 598 for around 100€)

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 24
Anyone?

In the meantime I took a look at other not-much-reviewed headphones such as KRK, Takstar, some Chinese rising brands ... some of you mentioned in other topics. Interesting not very easy to compare and find =)

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 24
Well compared to the headphones you have listed there the KRK are bass light in comparison. I have not heard the other headphones unfortunately so i cant say anything for certain. The bass on the KRK KNS 8400 goes deep but its slightly on the light side. You hear it but you don't really feel it.

Do you like pronounced bass?

Jul 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 24
Out of those listed I like the UE6000 the best. Not sure how they do with classic as I don't listen to it but they are great for your other genres and are great for movies especially with active noise cancelation turned on. They are better than your other choices by far IMO. I'd also take a look at the Superlux models, the Evo makes a great gaming headset and *likely* better than your current gaming set up as well, especially great for movies as well.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 24
Hi all,

While you continue to give me your advice, I searched around and found used but almost new (basically damaged package or not satisfied customer) headphones that could be in:

- Philips Fidelio M1BO/00 (75-85€, depending on shipping rates)
- Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 Ohm (119, a bit expensive but if it worth the try...)
- Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm (106€). I read this is a semi-open.

I add that it will mainly (75%) be driven by my computer (MSI Z87-G45) and 25% by this. Fyi, my brother seems to have no problem driving his Grado sr80i with it.

Thanks again.

eXniHiLo

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 24
Thank you for the answer. I saw the k550 @140€, quite out of range (though I could force myself ^^) and I read mitigate reviews about them. in the awaiting message, I was talking about the Fidelio M1 I found quite good for 77€ and the DT770 - 80Ohms (DT990) for ~110€

But I am still looking around, took a look at this topic for example (Headphone Buying Guide - I cannot post any link or It will be awaiting the approval)... so do not hesitate to guide toward your best picks and then I will make a short list and try to test them if I can find any store selling them.

Thanks again for your time and opinions.

eXniHiLo

P.S.: @OMGLadyGaga    € = european currency ~ $ / 1.35 (for example 150$ = 108€)

edit: I may get the k550 almost new @105€ (+shipping), could be a good deal.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 24
Do note that you most likely will have to pay Taxes and customs fees if you buy from overseas. Not sure about the Law's in your country.
If you live in a country that is part of EU you can order items from another EU country without paying the Tax or any custom fees.

I think those headphones you mentioned are very cheap for those prices, but the Focal Spirit ones are not very comfortable according to reviews.
All of the prices you mentioned are quite low in my opinion. Except the Akg K550 those usually go at 140€ ( postage included ).

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 24
That is what I said, there are sales till the end of the month and certain headphones prices are down because the package is a bit damaged - but the headphones are fine. Moreover, I will only look at serious and official sellers (Music stores, Amazon, hi-tech stores ...). So even if prices look low, no worries :).
Since my awaiting message will not appear, I will use my headphones 100% with computer (MSI Z87-G45) but I may use it later (depending on work etc) with my Sansa Clip +

So now, I'm down to:
- Audio Technica  ATH-M50 (90€ White, 100€ Black)
- Logitech UE6000 (90€)
- Sony MDR-7506 (90€)
- AKG K451 (63€), K452 (68€)
- Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 80 Ohms (110€)
- Beyerdynamics DT990 (110€)
- Fidelio M1 (77€)
- AKG K550 (110€ +evt. shipping)

Thanks Notus and OMGLadyGaga for your replies. All or welcome to give their thoughts though.

eXniHiLo

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 24
Amazon.UK does not properly pay taxes so even if you order there, you most likely would have to pay Taxes ( if the product comes from outside EU ). Just a heads up so you wont get a nasty letter in your mail saying you have to pay taxes and custom fees.

For electrical music and i think most of the genres you mentioned people tend to recommend these. But for classical i think the M50 and DT770 are not ideal since they both have recessed mid range. Its slightly a trade off since Classical works better with more Neutral, balanced sound signature but the rest you listen tend to works better with something that has Emphasis on the bass. It is just my opinion tho.
Audio Technica ATH-M50's / M50x. V shaped sound signature, often recommended by the community.
Logitech UE6000. Slightly more balanced but has emphasis on the bass.
Beyerdynamic DT770. V shaped sound signature and has good soundstage for a closed back headphone.

I hope people more familiar with the headphones you mentioned come and give some better insight.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 24

It is just my opinion tho.

That is what I asked for, so I will listen to it :) And gathered with others will help me shorten the shortlist. Thank you.

Thanks for the notice on amazon.co.uk. To be honest, I'm mainly in France or Germany, so I check on French and German websites, the only differences being (sometimes) shipping rates offered/to be payed.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 24
The DT990s are fully open not semi open, this will give you the best soundstage for classical and movies but it won't provide isolation so you'll hear everything else around you as well as others can hear whatever you're listening to. 250 ohms are also relatively high impedance so a good source and amplification is very important. They also have good bass for your other genres. If you are sensitive to sharp treble though that might be a problem. The mids are recessed so balance isn't as good as the K550s below.

The AKG K550 are very balanced and offer an open headphone type of soundstage with great clarity and detail. Bass isn't as pronounced but I find it is reasonable enough albeit a bit loose yet extends quite deep and is generally quite pleasing, bassheads need not apply. For that price I'm thinking this might be your best bet, as it is also portable albeit a bit unwieldy but will give you more isolation and a deeper bass response with very present treble and the soundstage I mentioned earlier.

I wouldn't bother with the rest as these two are head and shoulders above IMO. The M50s get recommended a ton, because they have a pleasing sound signature...but recessed mids, flabby bass and absolutely zero soundstage wouldn't he a good fit although it is good for some genres. The UE6000 are good but recessed treble is a turn off and also lack a little clarity. The DT770 is better than the M50 in every way IMO but I don't think it competes with the other Beyers or the AKGs. The M1 I've never listened to, I did have the L1 for a bit and didn't like it so if it sounds anything alike I'd stay away. But I have no idea on that one.

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 24
The DT990s are fully open not semi open, this will give you the best soundstage for classical and movies but it won't provide isolation so you'll hear everything else around you as well as others can hear whatever you're listening to. 250 ohms are also relatively high impedance so a good source and amplification is very important. They also have good bass for your other genres. If you are sensitive to sharp treble though that might be a problem. The mids are recessed so balance isn't as good as the K550s below.

The AKG K550 are very balanced and offer an open headphone type of soundstage with great clarity and detail. Bass isn't as pronounced but I find it is reasonable enough albeit a bit loose yet extends quite deep and is generally quite pleasing, bassheads need not apply. For that price I'm thinking this might be your best bet, as it is also portable albeit a bit unwieldy but will give you more isolation and a deeper bass response with very present treble and the soundstage I mentioned earlier.

I wouldn't bother with the rest as these two are head and shoulders above IMO. The M50s get recommended a ton, because they have a pleasing sound signature...but recessed mids, flabby bass and absolutely zero soundstage wouldn't he a good fit although it is good for some genres. The UE6000 are good but recessed treble is a turn off and also lack a little clarity. The DT770 is better than the M50 in every way IMO but I don't think it competes with the other Beyers or the AKGs. The M1 I've never listened to, I did have the L1 for a bit and didn't like it so if it sounds anything alike I'd stay away. But I have no idea on that one.

I agree, with most of what OMGLadyGaga says, except I prefer the M50s over the UE6000 (although I could understand how some others like them better). The UE6000 are a little too warm sounding and dark for my tastes. I don't find the bass flabby with the M50 given it's price point, and I like the overall tonality. DT770 does seem to do better what the M50 tries to do with more refined sound and better soundstage. Of those three, UE6000 is the clear winner on portability. Folds up into a nice neat package and comes with a neoprene case. DT770 not very portable. M50 does fold up or lie flat, just a bit bigger than the UE6000.

DT990s definitely don't work for you if you don't want the sound to leak or want isolation from your environment. K550s are very comfortable, although too bulky to me to be considered for portable use. They also have a loose clamping force, so they tend to loose their seal if when moving around wearing them.

There is a refurbished pair of Soundmagic HP100s on Amazon UK for £122.00. Those could be a nice choice for you. Here is a review: http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2012/10/soundmagic-hp100-review.html

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 24
Thank you both for your clear explanations. To be honest, I added the UE6000 because of the great review made by Tyll on innerfidelity, where he said (talking about the k550): "This headphone was retired [of the wall of fame] due to the introduction of the UE6000, which I feel is a significantly more balanced sounding headphone."

I did not know the Soundmagic HP100 but I will take a look at it.

So basically, following your recommendations, I should go for the K550 (so far, I need to look at the Soundmagic or other if someone pops something else).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back