Saint-Saens Organ Symphony
Nov 12, 2001 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Surfaday

Head-Fier
All I can say is WOW. Just had my hearing recalibrated by the Honolulu Symphony playing Saint-Saens Organ Symphony. Wow. Puts everything into perspective hearing it live. Came home and put on my cd of the same - and it put my poor 225's to shame.
frown.gif

Its no wonder we spend so much money in pursuit of that elusive certain sound. I was blown away by that live performance tonight.

Now if I can just get my credit card back from my wife...
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 6
That's a great story! I'll bet the concert was awesome. You have my sympathy regarding the endless pursuit of sonic perfection and the disposition of your CC!
Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2001 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Yup, no matter how good your system is, it simply cant beat the sound of experienced musicians live. Oh, and Saint-Saens is a great composer. Check out the Dance Macabre, The Carnival of the Animals, and Introduction and Rondo Cappriccio.

Nov 15, 2001 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 6
Yep! My poor credit card!!! Now I'm looking to buy some Ety's!!! Nooooo!!!! Stop me!!!

I will also look up those additional titles on cd. Luckily my ears are re-recalibrated back to thinking my 225's are pretty awesome.

Walt

Nov 15, 2001 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Yup, no matter how good your system is, it simply cant beat the sound of experienced musicians live.

I concur! Quote:

Oh, and Saint-Saens is a great composer. Check out...

Also, the second Piano Concerto. My favorite version is the one with Andre Watts at the piano. I saw him play it live, and it quickly zoomed up to my top 20 (at least!) favorite classical pieces of all time.

Nov 15, 2001 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 6
I had a similar experience about a month ago after I saw the San Francisco Symphony. Hearing them play Sibelius' 2nd and Rachmaninof's variations on a theme of Paganini really let me know what was right and wrong with my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back